My Ends are Bent?????

QBOE2001

Ok so I need a little help....i'm at work so i can't take any photo's but I finally flat ironed my hair( haven't bothered to straighten it in over a year cause i'm lazy). My ends do not appear to be split (it's been a year since I had a trim) but I noticed that they are bent at weird angles and have a rough appearance and will not lay down smoothly. Is there any way to straighten out their appearance or do I need to trim them away? If I trim I will lose approximately an inch to an inch and a half of growth in the back.:ohwell:

BTW I am natural, cowash 2x week with aussie moist, pre-poo with olive oil and deep condition overnight 1x per week with either ors packs or SE mega olive (i alternate each time). I use QB AOHC to twist and use braid spray daily for moisture. I wear twists pinned into a bun every day. I am between apl and bsl right now. When I flat ironed I airdried, applied heat protectant and flat ironed for a single pass on product free hair at 365 degrees. My hair had swang but the ends look ugly and will not lay flat!!!!!!

Any and all advice is welcome. I tried the search feature to no avail.

Thanks Ladies

Did you make certain to pull the flat iron all the way down? A couple of ideas I've read here would be to:
1. Go hard with your ends by baggying and sealing your ends
2.Check the porosity of your hair and if it's an issue, cold water rinse, ACV rinses, tea rinses or Roux might help wit
3. Maybe you should apply some leave-in on the ends before flat ironing
4. Wait for more length and then trim
5.Rollerset before flatironing and then wrap

Hope that helped some

↑ Personally, in the past I'd done all of the above (great tips btw) and still experienced this. It wasn't until I began using AVJ before or mixed in with my leave-ins that this was completely alleviated.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

You definitely shouldn't trim if its just based on this. First, you didn't flatiron on a very high heat, so your ends are less likely to Get straight. Second, it sounds like u didn't use the comb chase or any other method for straightening your ends. Otherwise the flatiron just crushes your curls at the end & leaves creases and angles- or a general rough appearance. U have to treat your ends totally different when flatironing. I wish I knew this early on- it could've saved me alott of unnecssary cuts n trims

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:
Did you make certain to pull the flat iron all the way down? A couple of ideas I've read here would be to:
1. Go hard with your ends by baggying and sealing your ends
2.Check the porosity of your hair and if it's an issue, cold water rinse, ACV rinses, tea rinses or Roux might help wit
3. Maybe you should apply some leave-in on the ends before flat ironing
4. Wait for more length and then trim
5.Rollerset before flatironing and then wrap

Hope that helped some
I never even considered porosity as a potential issue since the rest of my hair seemed to be in good shape. Good tips, I will try the bagging and sealing my ends first since that seems to be the easiest.

Thanks for the suggestions :grin:

↑ Personally, in the past I'd done all of the above (great tips btw) and still experienced this. It wasn't until I began using AVJ before or mixed in with my leave-ins that this was completely alleviated.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Thanks for the reply. I didn't use a leave-in because I was afraid of having "heavy" hair. I'm gonna try it again using a leave in and see if that helps any. Thanks for the suggestion.:grin:

You definitely shouldn't trim if its just based on this. First, you didn't flatiron on a very high heat, so your ends are least Likely to Get straight. Second, it sounds like u didn't use the comb chase or any other method for straightening your ends. Otherwise the flatiron just crushes your curls at the end & leaves creases and angles- or a general rough appearance. U have to treat your ends totally different when flatironing. I wish I knew this early on- it could've saved me alott of unnecssary cuts n trims

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Your right I didn't use the comb chase method. This was literally the 4th time that i've ever flat ironed my hair and I confess that my skills are lacking. I was able to get the front relatively well but the back (meh.... i know that i did not do the best of jobs because it was just so difficult to hold the flat iron at the right angle). Thanks for confirming that I don't need to run for the scissors just yet. I'm going to try all of the advice that has been given thus far and see how far it takes me.:grin:

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Do you mean ACV(Apple Cider Vinegar)? If not may you please tell us what you mean? I'm curious, because I have had this issue with my ends before. CrownCola

Sounds like you need to keep practicing your flat iron technique. Use a brush or comb chase while you flat iron to make sure your ends are straight. Or use a hot comb.

lana aloe vera juice?

lana yeah what she said, Aloe Vera Juice :lol:.

ETA:
I've even experienced bushy looking ends after fine tooth comb chasing, and double sided brush chasing.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

I have to saay this, please be careful with the apple cider vinegar (acv) rinses. They dried my hair out even after I adjusted dilution-- and I experienced breakage. If you have a porosity issue, then working on your moisture and protein balance will get your hair into shape. Working aloe vera juice (avj) somewhere into your routine is a more gentle way to assist in ph control. however, judging from your signature picture, your hair appears to be very healthy-- is that your flat iron job (I can't really see your ends).

ETA:
I've even experienced bushy looking ends after fine tooth comb chasing, and double sided brush chasing.

So what was your solution-- did you see split ends? What heat/flatiron did you use?

Last edited:
^^^Yep that was my flat iron job from the previous time. My camera sucks and the low lighting in the room didn't help any. I'm gonna try the aloe vera juice and see where it takes me, I also have a bottle of roux pc conditioner that has been in my cabinet for over a year that i'll be trying out soon.

So what was your solution-- did you see split ends? What heat/flatiron did you use?

The Aloe Vera juice was my solution.
I used about 350°, and this was with a Remington "Damage Therapy" flatiron (I loved it then for the plates, not so much these days)
There were minimal splits, possibly because I trim often.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

You may need to trim. Sometimes rough ends is a sign that you need to, even when there isn't any obvious splits.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

You need to train the ends to be straight. Moisturize and then use a serum. Smooth down the hair while it is oiled, several times. Uncoil and align the bent strands downward with the rest. Bag you ends. Repeat these same steps the next night and so on. You will eventually see your ends are straight or slightly curled under from the bagging. I saw that too with my ends and now they are fine. Good luck.

Back