My dominican experience.

offthechainliz

I walked into the salon and asked for a wash. the place was pact with all types of different ethics. i sat down for a maximum of 10 mins before they washed my hair. I don't know what type of shampoo they used but it totally stripped my hair!
mad.gif
after the wash I was looking at my hair in disgust. she sat me in the chair and then proceeded with the roller set. I was thinking aren't you to put any type of setting lotion in my hair. instead she put a dime size amount of this hair cream called hair energizer and balancing... something (yes, I was looking
sekret.gif
)I was thinking dang, why she trying to be cheap on the products for.
mad.gif
she then roller set then put under the hooded dryer. (the dryer wasn't that hot) I was scrared and praying the whole time cause when I don't use some type of setting lotion my hair comes out horrible. I was pleasantly surprised when she took the rollers out to find that my hair felt very, very, soft. At that point my hair didn't look bad but it definitely wasn't any great either. she then started the blow out process. about 4-5 times she got to close to my scalp with the dryer and had me feeling like...
mad.gif
whip.gif
swearing.gif
censored.gif
. I was ready to kill some body up in there. the worst thing about is after she finished my bow out she was like even though your ends are not damaged they are thin. she was like you have very beautiful hair but it would look even thicker and bouncier if you cut it. then she pointed to above my shoulder. I looked at her and I was like no, that's o.k.
naughty.gif
I'd rather let my hair grow out and gradually cut it to the same length then go back to where I started off. afterward she turned my chair so I could look into the mirror I fell in love.
love.gif
I though my hair looked absolutely beautiful.
shocked.gif
I was thinking what is she talking about. I left the salon and I couldn't stop shaking my hair like the white girls do.
smile.gif
I had so much body and bounce. you guys were totally right when you said your hair comes out feeling very light and just flows in the wind. I got so many compliments that day and I 'm still getting complements today.
smile.gif

I just wished I found them a lot sooner.
wallbash.gif

If you feel like their skimping on the products or you don't like theirs I'd definitely bring in my own. Also I know that the one I went to they were used to their clients having a lot of product in their hair so they did go for squeaky clean because squeaky clean hair gives better movement and bounce than product heavy hair.
smile.gif

I'm glad you had such a good experience.
smile.gif

Now you've got me thinking that I should hit up my dominican spot the next time I want my hair straight
scratchchin.gif

mrs brown definitely go for it. I left some curl pattern to hair hair my last relaxer and they got my roots and hair straight! I honestly believe they got it straighter then any relaxer could without the damage.

I'm glad you had a good experience. Y'all make me want to drive an hr to get a blowout. I am almost 9wks post touchup and I wonder if that will help.

Karezone,
There is an African American salon in Raleigh that does blowouts. Unfortunately they are more expensive than dominican salons but the results are well worth it. The process is call "silkening". What they do is blowdry your hair (After it's mostly dry) with a bristle brush, put some serum in it and go through it with a silkening iron.

How much more expensive? I would really prefer something either in Greensboro or in Durham, I know those areas way better than I know Raleigh.

Umm, I'm not postive but I think somewhere between $25 and $45. I know that's a wide range but the times that I've gone I haven't had to pay for it so I'm guessing. If you're interested I can either call for a definite price or get the number for you.
Sorry, I don't know of any salons in G'boro or Durham that do it.

am i the only one who hates dominican salons?? it seems like everyone here just loves and raves about them.my last hairstylist was haitian but the hairschool she went to in haiti was run by dominicans and the hair salon she worked at in haiti was run by dominicans and i hated the whole process.i just never liked how after a rollerset she'd apply even more hot heat to my hair and use one of those round brushes at that. i would literally see little pieces of hair flinging and breaking off. it was not worth it. after the first time i told her to never do it again.a rollerset was enough for me. maybe im just being too sensitive,which is what she told me, but oh well.

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Bree- I don't get the blow (roots or whole thing). I just get a rollerset and doobie.

[/ QUOTE ]

is doobie when you get it wrapped afterwards?? if so thats what i use to have done too.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
Bree- I don't get the blow (roots or whole thing). I just get a rollerset and doobie.

[/ QUOTE ]

is doobie when you get it wrapped afterwards?? if so thats what i use to have done too.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what i used to get too. I cant take the heat, and i get the same results as a blow out
smile.gif

are there any dominican salons in san antonio texas...or houston (2 hrs away) or austin (1 hr away)??...thanks ladies

[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, and it comes out the same without the heat and damage.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The other thing I wanted to mention Liz, is that there is a chance that your stylist wasn't being cheap with the products, per se. Domincan's in general do not use as much product as your average black salon. The least product your hair can take is what they use. They do so the hair comes out light and airy and weighed down with a lot of product.

That's part of the reason why your hair was blowin' and swingin' in the wind!

But you can also bring your own products - as someone mentioned, and tell them exactly what to use.

Dominican salons aren't for everyone Bree. Your hair is quite long so whatever you're doing is clearly working for you.
up.gif

As for the heat on the scalp, it doesn't h ave to be that way - if they hold the dryer at the right angle they don't get you diredctly on the scalp, but after hours and hours of holding that blower and dryer, they sometimes slip. And it is uncomfortable.
Maybe next time you could try out on of the other girls in the salon? Everyone has a slightly different technique...

And you could also just forgo the blowout altogether.

mermaid and island girl, they are located in davie blvd and university Rd in plantation. I also found 2 other domincan salons around my area one in tamarac and the other in pompano. I plan to try both out to see which one I like the most of the three. pm me if you want more info on how to get there.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I don't think I'd be able to handle that heat on my scalp like that! ouch!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean hairlove, I sat in the chair thinking never again but after I saw the final result I knew I was hook. IMO it's worth it.
smile.gif

Brushing/blowing the hair does break the hair; I learned to have them blow only my roots. My hair is way too thick and curly to go w/o having the roots blown.

I just do the doobie when I want it straight, or pin curls when I want curls.

Back