my beer adventure this weekend, yes beer as in alcoholic beverage

chanou

I’m only writing this because I’ve gotten over my embarrassment and stupid actions this weekend. On Friday, I was talking to my mom who casually explained that women had been taking the relaxer out of their hair with beer. I knew this was false and proceeded to do some research online that led me nowhere. I called a couple of aunts who confirmed the beer theory but I still didn’t believe them. So I called my know it all aunt in Haiti (with waist length natural hair), yes I spent $2 a minute talking to her hoping for salvation from my relaxed hair. She denied the theory and said it was a myth and was not in fact proven. Well, when I analyzed the information that I’d been given from all the women in family, I decided that my know it all aunt was wrong, if all the other women said it was true then it must be.

Well, since I am transitioning and really want natural hair RIGHT NOW, I went out and bought a case of beer. I knew that there was no way that beer would strip my hair of the relaxer, but ladies, it’s like I was having an outer body experience. The logical side of my brain was trampled over by the illogical side. I washed my hair Friday evening with CON shampoo and then pour beer all over it. Did it take out the relaxer no, in fact it made my 3 inches of new growth softer and less apparent. Ladies I don’t know what I was thinking…….I’m going to braid may hair so that I can prevent the harms that I may inflict on it during my bouts moments of insanity during this transition process

lawd, lawd, lawd!! Get you some braids, girl before you do some serious damage!! /images/graemlins/spank.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

beer has been used for a while to make the hair shine but i have never heard of it stripping a relaxer the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of it

62.gif

Definitely get braids. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
msportugal said:
beer has been used for a while to make the hair shine but i have never heard of it stripping a relaxer the only way to get rid of it is to get rid of it

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have heard of Beer being used for shine. In fact, I recently read an article that Catherine Zeta-Jones uses it for that purpose.

Well, I must say that my hair was shiny and soft after using the beer. I of course had to drink the remaining bottles to drawn my sorrows...

/images/graemlins/rofl.gif My grandma used to use beer in my hair all the time. Not only beer but Helmans mayo too! Your hair will be fine.

"Youre cracking me up over here Chanou" says jainy as she sips on her Icehouse /images/graemlins/alcoholics.gif -- /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Your hair didn't smell like beer afterwards did it?! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I always thought beer stripped relaxers.When I would go to parties and get beer in my hair my hair would start looking natural to me.Maybe it was just frizz.

[ QUOTE ]
chanou said:
Well, I must say that my hair was shiny and soft after using the beer. I of course had to drink the remaining bottles to drawn my sorrows...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm glad that you at least had some consoling effects - softer and shinier hair.

You guys think I'm funny....but I guess I would've been pretty cool /images/graemlins/cool.gif if this has worked. The thing is I knew it was false. I just don't know why I kept pouring..... I calle dmy mom to tell her it didn't work and she said that I had to wash my hair with seasalt water, shampoo with soap and tehn rinse with beer. I felt like reaching ove rthe phone killing her, how could I be so gullible after being an LHCF member for so long.. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif.

My SO keeps pestering me about the whole thing, saying that my growth will be slow now, since my hair is drunk now /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JenniferMD said:
Your hair didn't smell like beer afterwards did it?! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] no my hair didn't smell lik ebeer, but I felt sleepy /images/graemlins/beer5.gif for the rest of the day...maybe it was because I drunk the rest of the botlles /images/graemlins/fat.gif

[ QUOTE ]
chanou said:

My SO keeps pestering me about the whole thing, saying that my growth will be slow now, since my hair is drunk now /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif Hangover Hair /images/graemlins/alcoholics.gif

Beer...LOL

/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe now that tale will be put to rest! Mental Note: beer rinse=shine & softness

Re: Beer...LOL

[ QUOTE ]
Nymphe said:
/images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Maybe now that tale will be put to rest! Mental Note: beer rinse=shine & softness

[/ QUOTE ]

ohh yes I forgot to report that my hair with 3 inches of new growth was so soft after rinsing with beer that I didn't use a conditioner like I usually do but ended up only using a leave in to style my hair.

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm glad you had the back up bottles to drown your hair sorrows.

I have a couple of beauty recipe books that have beer recipes for hair. The smell of the beer would make me ill so I couldn't ever try them out but here's one from online:

[ QUOTE ]

Beer Shampoo

The proteins from the malt and hops in the beer coat the hair and build it up and help repair damage. It leaves the hair with wonderful body.

3/4 cup beer (any cheap brand)
1 cup inexpensive shampoo

Boil the beer until it reduces to 1/4 cup. Cool the beer and add it to the 1 cup of inexpensive shampoo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anything can "strip" the relaxer from hair. The relaxer breaks the disulfide bonds that makes the hair curly so that is becomes straight- permanently. It is a chemical process that can not be undone. Oh well, at least you got a few drinks out of it

I have heard this too...I think its a myth...apparently pedominantly a Haitian thing /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Back