My Attempt At A Flat Twist Hairstyle

Fine 4s

it was frustrating and not the first time I tried. I'd like to get better at it but didn't like the following:
It seems like you have to really detangle the hair in order to be able to get your fingers through the hair to flat twist, yes? The product I used (camellia rose product) was water based so the hair kept shrinking making it hard to get my fingers through. I need some edge control. I had to use old gel.

Any tips to make it look better?

Here are some pics....
The last pic is a shot of the texture I was working with. This section especially the sides are the most problematic sections of my hair.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    228.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    676.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    443.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    646.7 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    409.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 145
I have only put them in for twist outs and the twist outs are never successful. My hair is longer now I may attempt to see how I would feel wearing them out.

Longhairdontcare2011 had a great flat twist video, but for reasons it's not up anymore. You do have to have your hair pretty detangled to get your fingers through to your hair. I think it's because your product is water based, that's why you're getting a bunch of shrinkage.

Maybe try a butter? I personally used JBCO+a carrier oil to grip and give it a bit of shine. I think it looks pretty good though.

It looks fine to me. If you do a water based, follow it with a pomade or something heavy like that and it should be easier to work with. If you are going to do large twist like that you do have to detangle better. With smaller twist you can get by with less detangling.

@Thump
Other's hair style seem to look better than mine :(
@whosthatcurl I remember that video and yes, it was good.
Or maybe I can try it wet in the shower IDK.
I'll try different styles and ways of doing it. I'm not taking it down until tomorrow though....

@Fine 4s
Your hair looks good to me. I know what you mean about getting your fingers through though. I recently had a stretched section of my hair I was twisting (I don't usually stretch my hair), and I had to combwith the magic rake and keep the rat tail handy to ensure the hair was properly separated and didn't tangle as I twisted. When I work with my hair unstretched but clumped (wng), I don't usually have that issue.

Confidence is building....
I was in a rush to leave the house yesterday and had the nerve to take it out to re-do the twists on both sides.
I sprayed my aloe vera base mixture and used no cream and the hair was much easier to twist. So I think all I need is wetter hair.
The braid is tighter and neater and the style is overall better. I put the bun higher and I joined the twists with the bun.
I'm getting here....

I was in a rush to leave the house yesterday and had the nerve to take it out to re-do the twists on both sides.
I sprayed my aloe vera base mixture and used no cream and the hair was much easier to twist. So I think all I need is wetter hair.
The braid is tighter and neater and the style is overall better. I put the bun higher and I joined the twists with the bun.
I'm getting here....

I knew you could do it. Practice makes perfect.

I'm getting here....

I was just coming in to say....keeping on practicing. Your hair looks good compared to my first few tries. I've been working at twisting my own hair for over a month. Soon enough your twists and parts will get neater and you will love your styles.

I still have a long way to go but I'm at the point where you can't convince me to go back to crotchet braids.

I'm addicted. I let the front out because I was going to put it all in a bun but I liked the way it looked so I left the front out (bangs).
I can see how twist outs are more defined with flat twisting.
I want to do my whole head now. I can't wait for summertime!

Last edited:
You did a nice job. Looks pretty and very thick.

I was just researching how to flat twist because flat twist outs produce the sort of loose wave I'm trying to achieve. bantu knotting gives waves that are just a bit too round and loose. I'm really trying to perfect no heat waves but it is sooo tricky lol.
And flat twisting is tricky. I also have no idea how to get the twists to stay in on the lower length of my hair unless I pin it up.

Back