My 1st Rollerset attempt on 3c Natural Hair (tons of pics)

Looks like you did a fabulous job and it really came out beautiful!! :yep:

(I had to flatiron my roots too, just couldn't get the rollers snug enough).

This really looks nice. Another natural I know from Fotki rollerset her hair w/this method the other day & her hair turned out just as gorgeous as yours. I'll have 2 save this for future reference.

You hair looks great. I followed her methods but I couldn't get the mesh roller to stay in my hair so I switched to some magnetic rollers with the cover. I am also a 3c natural and that was the best rollersetting job I've done since being a natural.

Does anyone know how you get the pin to stay in the mesh roller that doesn't have the brush in it?

Also, did you try the silk wrap instructions? Was it successful?

IDK about the pins I just stuck them through the top and maneuvered in around to the other end of the roller when I felt tightness. It took me awhile but by the time I got a hang of it I went back and secured the first ones that where loose a little bit better. Its kind of like securing a safety pin through 2 pieces of cloth. Didnt try the wrap. My ends where not smooth enough. Thats anohter thing I have to work on next week.

Looks great!

What type of hooded dryer did you use?
Soft Bonnet Ionic dryer...the one that looks like the space helmet :rofl:

Looks like you did a fabulous job and it really came out beautiful!! :yep:

(I had to flatiron my roots too, just couldn't get the rollers snug enough).

I have to make sure the ends are smoother next time:perplexed some areas where good but the thicker coarser parts of my hair had bushy ends (the flat iron helped smooth them out)

WoW! It turned out gorgeous! I'd love to try this but how did you master the pins?!!?

See above. I just stuck them through the top and positioned them in the opposite direction so to speak so they would stay tight. i loved the pins because they didnt snag my hair.

Thanks so much. Im super excited!!!!:grin::grin:

IDK about the pins I just stuck them through the top and maneuvered in around to the other end of the roller when I felt tightness. It took me awhile but by the time I got a hang of it I went back and secured the first ones that where loose a little bit better. Its kind of like securing a safety pin through 2 pieces of cloth. Didnt try the wrap. My ends where not smooth enough. Thats anohter thing I have to work on next week.

I have discovered that washing or just conditioning hair with one of those "Smoothing", "Sleek", "Straight" poos and conditioner smooths the hair and makes it easier to detangle and getting the ends smooth. It also helps make your curls more defined if doing a WNG.

In fact that is what I use to detangle my hair for the past three months and I have not gotten those pesky knots so far. I normally use Suave Professionals Biolage conditioner as my detangler leave-in but Organix Vanilla Silk has gotten my hair the sleekest. You would still need to you a moisturizer thus why I like Suave because you can layer products over it. Hope this helps.

I love it!!!! I'm going to order some mesh rollers and try this myself, I'm a 4a but my hair smooths out relatively well so I'm hoping this will work and give me different styling options. You hair looks great!!

Your hair looks great! We share a similar hair type...you have given me some motivation to transition (after I reach WL :rolleyes:)...I think that's what hold s me back from going natural....I am in love with rollersets and the thought of dealing with my natural hair scares the heck out of me:ohwell:

Okay yall I was about to have a break down...I was seriously contemplating texturizing my hair. If I wear my hair curly I get knots:perplexed. If I wear my hair straight I get split ends from the heat...and when my hair splits, it SPLITS:nono: Like big huge spilt ends that looks like forks or the ends of tre branches. Not little ones that can be saved until the next scheduled trim.

So my last resort was to stop being lazy and attempt a rollerset....and lets just say that Im very very happy with my results for a first timer and if it looks like this now, I can only imagine what it will look like after I master the technique:grin::grin::grin::grin:.

I washed and deep conditioned with Silk Elements Shampoo and Conditoner. I used the method from hairlove's website to rollerset:
http://www.long-healthy-hair-advisor.com/roller-set-natural-hair.html

The products I used were Biolage Leave in Tonic, ORS Foam Setting Mouse, ORS Hair polisher, and water in a spray bottle. I thoroughly saturated every section with water and added a little bit of setting lotion and polisher. I went under the soft bonnet dryer for almost 1.5hrs (I was really afraid of having bad results so I stayed under until I knew for sure that my hair would was dry) After the rollers where out, I flat ironed my roots (not the entire length of my hair) with the ceramic iron. I was going to wrap but I kinda like the curls so Ill keep them out. Hopefully Ill notice a change in my hair :) BTW even though I am a type 3 my entire haed is defnitely not the same texture. I have really thick kinky roots esp in the crown hair. That hair is very coarse resistant and wiry and literally repels water:nono:

Here are pics:

It looks great. Rollersets can be done on natural hair and they are gorgeous. Stay with it. It only gets better.

Back