Multiple Spinoff: Christian-Based Positive Thinking-Type Videos and Book Club

PaperClip

Well thank the Lord for technology!:)

In light of all the stuff going on re. The Secret DVD, it seems that folk are gravitating toward the DVD more than the book (possibly because of the illiteracy rates in this country, laziness toward reading, etc.)

My main question is to know if there are any videos developed within Christian themes that deal with positive thinking, prayer, etc., that help to rehearse and stimulate and encourage in the Word of God.

I was also thinking that with the Christian Book Club, might there be an option to include videos as well for discussion. I read SO MUCH for my research studies that sometimes it's easier to break away for a video than ANOTHER book....

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration....

My dad gave me "The Seven Decisions" by Andy Andrews, and I really enjoyed it. He gives practical advice for attaining personal success.

And of course, any chance I get, I must suggest The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. :up: Definitely a life changing book that will reveal how our faith & thinking are paramount in living lives that are full and pleasing to God. :yep:

I just checked my local public library for The Power of Positive Thinking and I just reserved it!

Let me expound a bit on what my "ideal" video would look like.... From the brief snippets I've seen of The Secret, there is a section that deals with affirmations: actual words that appear and flash on the screen that help rehearse the words and evoke the thinking.... So what I was thinking was that it would be great to have a video with Christian-based affirmations that I could watch daily, hourly, esp. when undergoing a mental challenge to help me get through it.... Not to lean on the video or become so dependent on the video, but again, to help rehearse it so that my brain/spirit is "programmed", brain-washed even in the Word of God....

I am a visual learner, so seeing and hearing the words simultaneously would just drive the message into my spirit and heart with such fervor....

StrawberryQueen said:
I think I'm going to get The Power of Positive Thinking, it's getting such rave reviews!

Girl, it's NO joke...I'll warn you that it starts off slow...for me it did, anyway, but once you get to the 3rd or 4th chapter, you won't be able to put it down. The information is SO practical. When you think about it, the principles are obvious & Biblical, but sometimes applying abstract concepts is easier said than done. It gives you step-by-step instructions for things like problem solving, increasing faith, etc. Of course, it makes it clear that these are suggestions and not the only way to attain these things, but it's a great starting point. One of the things I started after I read the book was a gratitude journal...I write down a minimum of 3 things I'm grateful for at the end of every day, and I begin my prayers in gratitude with those things. It's made a huge difference in my mental stance, and it's so much easier to keep a heart that's full of thanksgiving when you've got a designated time to ponder your blessings each day. And of course, writing them down enables you to be able to reflect on them...so when I'm discouraged, I can look at allllllll the magnificent things God has done, and go, look at how faithful He is...you need only believe what He's told you.

So yeah...in case you can't tell, I liked the book. :lol: It will be a yearly read for me. :yep:

RelaxerRehab said:
I just checked my local public library for The Power of Positive Thinking and I just reserved it!

Let me expound a bit on what my "ideal" video would look like.... From the brief snippets I've seen of The Secret, there is a section that deals with affirmations: actual words that appear and flash on the screen that help rehearse the words and evoke the thinking.... So what I was thinking was that it would be great to have a video with Christian-based affirmations that I could watch daily, hourly, esp. when undergoing a mental challenge to help me get through it.... Not to lean on the video or become so dependent on the video, but again, to help rehearse it so that my brain/spirit is "programmed", brain-washed even in the Word of God....

I am a visual learner, so seeing and hearing the words simultaneously would just drive the message into my spirit and heart with such fervor....

I AGREE W/ DI. IT WAS FROM HER, ALONG W/ SOME OTHERS ON THE BOARD, THAT I FIRST LEARNED ABOUT "THE POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING". ONE OF THE TECHNIQUES THAT I GOT FROM THE BOOK WAS TO WRITE DOWN SCRIPTURES OR POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS ON SMALL CARDS. I CARRY THESE CARDS AROUND W/ ME EVERYWHERE I GO IN A RUBBERBAND. IF I'M FEELING STRESSED RE: ANYTHING OR IF A NEGATIVE THOUGHT COMES TO MIND, I PULL OUT THE SCRIPTURE RELATING TO IT AND MEDITATE ON IT - WHATEVER NEED I HAVE, I'M PULLING OUT THOSE CARDS. WHILE I'M DRIVING, I HAVE THEM POSTED ON MY DASHBOARD TO REFER TO. WHEN I'M AT WORK, I'LL PULL OUT ONE TO POST ON MY LAPTOP. LIKE DI SAID, IT HAS MADE A MAJOR TRANSFORMATION IN MY MENTAL STATE. :) I'M SO HAPPY TO HAVE RUN ACROSS THE BOOK. RELAXERREHAB, I'M NOT SURE IF IT COMES ON VIDEO, BUT I KNOW THERE'S AN AUDIO. YOU MIGHT CONSIDER THAT, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ THE BOOK.

I said I wouldn't post here for a while, but I HAD to come in and say: Thank you for this thread RR! I will be checking it (& the book club thread) often as the thread I originally posted disappointed me VERY much. I had to leave it alone to be torn apart some more since I got all the info I was gonna get early on in the thread.

I, too (from DI's and others' help and info), became inspired to write down some biblical verses and affirmations on a big piece of paper that sits on my desk for me to see. It has helped me out already and is one of the main reasons I had to take a hiatus from the board---(I was spending too much time in front of a computer--lol). Anyway, if that helped me the way it did I can't imagine how these books and other info will! I'm actually able to memorize certain scriptures that now have a deeper meaning for me without even trying!

Once again, thank you DI so much for sticking by your beliefs while allowing others to learn in a positive way. Keep doing what you are doing as I'm sure more people will be inspired by you and your faith in God. And thank you to everyone else for listening to my inquiry and engaging in a discussion with me. God bless you all & this SHOULD me my last post in a while. LOL. :lol:

I just saw this thread today. I'd be happy to participte. The Scripture/affirmation notecards are a great idea. :)
It looks like Power of Positive thinking will be our first read.

I'll also keep my eyes peeled for Christian based videos. However, there are preachers like Joel Osteen and Joyce Myer that preach on this topic all of the time. I'm sure you could go on their websites and watch the videos at any time.

Back