MTG makes hair kinkier?

I found tonight that MTG made my ends very brittle. That is not cool with me--I actually found breakage. Has anyone found that the MTG kinda counters moisturizers? This is very concerning to me. I dont think the new growth (which I am def. getting) is worth comprimising my ends. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm still using the MTG and still getting good results. No noticab;e difference in texture. But, just as it was said earlier in this thread by week 3-4 my hair looks like it need another bodiphier. I'm really not complaining bc I've waited most of my life to get my hair to grow fast- so I'm smiln' away as I type this!
Serenity Breeze, I have not noticed any breakage since using MTG- especially not on my ends. I have been using a product called Premire Rose conditioner through the length of my hair. I began this the same time I started MTG. It has helped add moisture to my hair and now- no more broken ends. Maybe you could try adding extra moisturizing products to your ends to counter any dryness. I hope you find the culprit. And I pray it's not MTG.

SerenityBreeze said:
I found tonight that MTG made my ends very brittle. That is not cool with me--I actually found breakage. Has anyone found that the MTG kinda counters moisturizers? This is very concerning to me. I dont think the new growth (which I am def. getting) is worth comprimising my ends. Anyone else have this problem?

I am so sorry you have experienced breakage. I never put it throughout my hair, Only on my scalp! Someone on another thread suggested buying one of those little cheap applicator tubes from the BSS and this way you make sure it only hits the scalp. I agree, growth is not worth comprimising the hair you have already worked so hard to preserve :nono: ! Good Luck.

Thanks, PG -- I try so hard to only keep that stuff on my roots..it is sooooo oily that the next day, my hair is practically saturated with it. It almost acts like some water proof sealant for me. So when I put my moisturizers on top of it, it does not soak thru. I dunno...gotta think of something creative.

I'm seeing nothing but faster hair growth than I ever saw. I got cornrows and they were snug when I first got them...no less than 13 days, almost 2 weeks later my cornrows looked like they were in for 6 weeks!! No lie, I got almost an inch of ng from using MTG every day before bedtime. I wanted my rows to last me for 6 weeks but to no avail. I'm currently using MTG with my box braids and I am experiencing rapid hair growth from using MTG daily, I love this stuff!!

pw: diva

I'm at 4.5weeks post relaxer and I'm shooting for at least 10 weeks, but my hair feels like its 7 weeks and its becoming hard to manage, S-curl is like my buddy now, but this MTG thing is off the chain!!

Well, I just ordered this stuff and after I start using, if my hair isn't waist-length after the first application, I'm suing everybody on this damn board! LOL! :)

I get a touch up the first week of September (every 2 months), and I'll report back to you ladies afterwards.

Keep your fingers crossed :)

SerenityBreeze said:
Thanks, PG -- I try so hard to only keep that stuff on my roots..it is sooooo oily that the next day, my hair is practically saturated with it. It almost acts like some water proof sealant for me. So when I put my moisturizers on top of it, it does not soak thru. I dunno...gotta think of something creative.

From my reading of the uses of MTG I think it should actually help prevent breakage not cause it (but responses will vary). Sometimes I do put MTG on my hair but in my routine I put on my moisturizerer first - I use a moisturizing conditioner then a leave in conditioner after that. Any butters or oils get put on my hair after I've put on a moisturizer.

Naijaqueen said:
I'm at 4.5weeks post relaxer and I'm shooting for at least 10 weeks, but my hair feels like its 7 weeks and its becoming hard to manage, S-curl is like my buddy now, but this MTG thing is off the chain!!

Naija, the exact thing happened to me. My texturizers only lasted 3 weeks tops. my biggest error is that I didn't stretch my texturizers long enough. I am leaning towards light texturizing my hair after my no relaxer challenge is over. I will prob do that in the wintertime, when my hair goes into hibernation. :lol: Any how, mtg made my hair grow the most texturized. Now that I know how to handle it in its relaxed state, I know my hair growing journey will be successful.

Natrlchallenge said:
Naija, the exact thing happened to me. My texturizers only lasted 3 weeks tops. my biggest error is that I didn't stretch my texturizers long enough. I am leaning towards light texturizing my hair after my no relaxer challenge is over. I will prob do that in the wintertime, when my hair goes into hibernation. :lol: Any how, mtg made my hair grow the most texturized. Now that I know how to handle it in its relaxed state, I know my hair growing journey will be successful.

I'm stretching my relaxer for 12weeks now, i'm getting to my 7th week, and its bout to be a long 5+weeks
MTG all the way!!!

I don't know what a person means by kinkier. I can only say what I have experienced is that my hair does feel different. Now some will jump up and say "nothing topical can change your hair" but if MTG is helping my hair in the sense that it has more elasticity or that it is stronger..then yes....maybe it is more kinkier. More kinkier in the sense that it is healthier...thus feels more kinky. Because to me my hair feels stronger...the strands on the new growth since using MTG are thicker. So on my head..to me...thicker, stronger strands feel more kinky then the lighter, weaker strands.

I have started using MTG all over my head because at first I used it in the front alone. That is how I noticed the difference between the two sections of new growth.

I just ordered MTG three days ago, and can barely WAIT for delivery!

I just finished braided my hair into mid-back length cornrows (extensions) that turned out very cute, if I say so myself. :grin: I wish I had a digital camera!

So, it is OK to use MTG while in braids?

SerenityBreeze said:
I finally found a neater way to apply less mtg and still receive results. Take a bottle/jar cap, and just pour enough to cover surface. Dip finger tips or qtip to apply. This method works so much better/neater than the applicator bottle, and I'm amazed at how little I used...Bye Bye greasies! hth

CurliDiva said:
I just ordered MTG three days ago, and can barely WAIT for delivery!

I just finished braided my hair into mid-back length cornrows (extensions) that turned out very cute, if I say so myself. :grin: I wish I had a digital camera!

So, it is OK to use MTG while in braids?

Should, should! :)

Back