More Tips (Hope It Wasn't Posted Already)

Paris Belle

More Tips (Hope It Wasn\'t Posted Already)

I hope this wasn't posted already. I found these on a website. They have some interesting tips that I would like to consider while others I will probably ignore (styling with heat). I hope they weren't already posted.

Maintenance Do's & Don'ts
Do use a super-moisturizing shampoo. "Chemically treated hair can never get enough hydration," says Mitchell. "Relaxed hair is very porous, so it's difficult for moisture to stay trapped in the cuticle."

Style Remix: Flipping the Script
With relaxed hair, a style change is a cinch. "Cornrows are a great escape from your everyday look," says Mitchell. We're all loving Alicia Keys' glamourous braids right now, so why not show her picture to your stylist for inspiration? Braids not your thing? Try the wash 'n go. "To [add] wave to relaxed hair, scrunch wet hair with a gentle, alcohol-free gel. Then use a diffuser to dry hair." Pro tip: After diffusing hair, hands-off. Too much touching will remove some of the product from your hair and cause frizzies.
Damage Control
It's happened to everyone with relaxed hair: Seconds after walking outside into a rainy, humid, or foggy day, your immaculate blow-out or wrap morphs into a frizzy nightmare (frizz serums and creams be damned). According to Mitchell, this 'do drama can easily be avoided. "On moist days, try wearing your hair in a chic, low bun or pinning it up in a messy updo," she recommends. "For a whole new look, cornrow it at night, brush it out, and sweep it into a ponytail. It's already a carefree, textured look, so if it get's frizzy, it's okay!

Feed Your Hair
"As strong new growth comes in, the shaft becomes unevenly textured and starts to break off where the weaker relaxed hair begins," explains Brian Thompson, traecheologist at NYC's Phillip Kingsley salon. The solution lies in protein, which re-builds damaged hair shafts. If you can't eat protein meats once a day or you're a vegetarian, try soy-based products and vegetable proteins like lentils, peas, and beans.

Do condition every time you wash. Conditioner protects hair and prepares it for styling instruments. Bi-monthly touch-ups can take their toll, leaving hair dehydrated and damaged but ask your stylist about some of the newest relaxers which are formulated with rich conditioners.

Do use a follicle-building conditioner. "A reconstructive conditioner helps smooth out broken cuticles and makes hair supple and stronger.

Do switch conditioners every third week. "Your hair can reject a conditioner if you over-use it," Mitchell says. "You'll have better results if you find two products and switch, continually shocking the cuticle."

Do monitor the heat of your curling iron. Wrap a paper towel in your curling iron like it's your hair -- if it singes, the iron's too hot.

Don't blow-dry hair without protection. After shampooing and conditioning, part hair in sections and apply a dollop of heat-activated strand protector in a cream or gel form to each piece -- this lowers the risk of split ends and damaged cuticles. Try Redken Centigrade Heat-Activated Gel, $9.95, Redken.com).

Don't wash hair more than once a week. "Most shampoos have strong detergents in them which futher dry-out hair," Mitchell says. Over-washing can result in a dull appearance and split ends. In between washings, freshen up hair (or get rid of "party smells" like cigarettes or other people's perfume!) with an odor neutralizer. Try Salon Selectives Air It Out, $2.99 at drugstores.

Don't leave a curling iron on your hair for more than 8 seconds. "No matter the setting, if you leave the iron on hair too long, or concentrate it on one place, you'll get breakage," Mitchell says. "The tool isn't damaging, the person [with the tool] is!"

Re: More Tips (Hope It Wasn\'t Posted Already)

this was pretty good. thanks for sharing carmen.
at least they talk about everything here (even blowdrying and using the curling iron) and give you advice on how to make it less harmful. i like that. i am more like you can blow dry your hair or use the curling iron but not every day. it's just like alcohol or candy, if you consume it from time to time it is not bad, just don't overdo it.

nay

Hi CarmenRose,

Nice tips. I agree with most of them, with the exception of the hair washing tip. I do not agree that washing hair more than once a week makes hair dull and more prone to split ends. I do agree that some shampoos are too harsh for frequent use, but there are shampoos that can be used frequently and not cause harm. Cream of Nature for dry/damaged hair, Nexxus Botanoil Shampoo, Mizani Botanifying Shampoo are 3 shampoos that I find I can use frequently with no problem. There are also a lot of other shampoos that can be used frequently without harming your hair. I wash my hair every 3 days and my hair has greatly benefited from it. I really think each head of hair is unique and one rule cannot apply to everyone. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for posting Carmen. The only one I disagree with is the tip not to shampoo more than once a week(I think that depends on the individual). I found my hair is doing much better since I shampoo 2-3 times a week(right after I workout).

Thanks for the post CarmenRose. While I agree with some of those tips, I absolutely disagree with not washing hair more than 1x/week. I wash my hair every 3 days and I can really see the benefits of this. If I waited every 7 days, it would look dry, dull, and break more often. I also don't agree with the product switch idea. I have heard that it's a good idea to do this, but if my hair is thriving on what I'm using, why should I?

Just my opinion. Good tips, though.

I only wash my hair once a week, but I was wondering about their assessment of washing hair more than once a week. I was thinking about increasing it to twice a week, but my hair and scalp is dry and I'm afraid I'll dry it out. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

The alternating products, I tend to do anyway with the conditioners because I think that my hair needs different products during different times of the month.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Do switch conditioners every third week. "Your hair can reject a conditioner if you over-use it," Mitchell says. "You'll have better results if you find two products and switch, continually shocking the cuticle."

[/ QUOTE ] Interesting! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I was thinking about increasing it to twice a week, but my hair and scalp is dry and I'm afraid I'll dry it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

When my friends give me the /images/graemlins/shocked.giflook as to why I wash my hair 2-3 times a week. I ask them what they do everytime the shower 1-2 times a day to stop their skin from going dry?

Moisturise it.

I love to wash my hair often, but it's hard work as I cannot wash and go. I have to moisturise my hair and oil my scalp after each and every wash. I deep condition every time i wash my hair also. So in order to combat the dryness more moisture is going to be needed CarmenRose

My scalp and hair were dry too...until I decided to either shampoo(mild, diluted) or rinse 3 times a week. My scalp hasn't been dry since except the time I went for a little over a week without shampooing..then my hair started drying and breaking also.

You know I was really thinking about this and wondering if my hair was dry because I don't wash it enough. To be honest I think sometimes I go more than 7 days (like now). And when I told my mother, she was like "NO! You can't do that to your hair!" So I really started questioning it.

I'm definitely going to get it together. I will really have to find a good air dry method or schedule in more time to do my hair (probably Wed. and Sat.). My schedule is really crazy so that's why it's so difficult. But what I'm really starting to understand now is that I must really schedule more time for my hair. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back