Moisturizing the ends - is water-based or oil-based sealant best?

Glib Gurl

What do you recommend for moisturizing/sealing the ends? I have been using a water-based olive oil product, but I'm wondering if I should swap it out for an oil-based one instead?

Is it ORS lotion?

Either one I use, water-based or oil-based (and I find that most oil-based moisturizers are actually based in water with lots of oils following) I still a little straight oil over it. Keeps my ends feeling nice and healthy

I use water based moisturiziers then seal w/ jojoba oil or just spray my hair w/ plain water then seal w/ jojoba oil. Oil based moistuizier tend to dry out my hair out.

Wow - moisturizing and then sealing? Treating the ends twice a day? Y'all are ON it! That is a lot of work . . . but no pain, no gain, I guess.

Yes, it is ORS Olive Oil that I use on my ends . . . so far, so good. I'm just wondering if I can/should be using an oil-based product instead . . . looking at what you all have posted it might be in addition to . . . .

I too think that if you really want to SEAL then you need something heavy and not water-based but more oily. In fact my introduction to sealing was from Wanakee and her "sealing" product looked like Vaseline and was called "Constant Care for Ends".

I use water based moisturizer (HE LTR or Darcy's Botanicals Transitioning Creme) then oil to seal...lately I've been using JBCO to seal, my ends love it...but the rest of my hair doesn't...weird

Wow - moisturizing and then sealing? Treating the ends twice a day? Y'all are ON it! That is a lot of work . . . but no pain, no gain, I guess.

Yes, it is ORS Olive Oil that I use on my ends . . . so far, so good. I'm just wondering if I can/should be using an oil-based product instead . . . looking at what you all have posted it might be in addition to . . . .

Could you? Yes. Should you? Depends. I think you should follow what your hair tells you it needs. I know people who have really nice hair and they don't seal at all.

Do you feel like you actually need to seal is really the question. I like the benefits that I get from sealing. The idea is to "trap" the moisture in your hair (or prolong its effects). When I use the ORS Olive Oil lotion (highly recommend for either relaxed or natural hair) I notice that the softening effect I get from lasts longer when I seal. I like to use the Black Earth African Healing Oyl, but I think most any oil will do.

I've gotten my sister (a permie) into the habit of sealing her hair, and her ends (and hair overall) looks so much better and healthier. Her ends don't break anymore and she's retaining length. She's an avid pink oil user (which is cool...I guess:lachen:) and she uses Sweet Almond Oil or Coconut Oil over it. She has had great results with just the pink oil, but it's far better with the oil over it. I'm the same way. I noticed this even when I had a relaxer. Sealing does my hair good.

ETA: Ultimately, I think you should sample different methods and find the one your hair responds best to.

Last edited:
Back