Moisturizers

MomofThreeBoys

In reading this forum, Cathy Howse and other hair care boards I was under the impression that a moisturizer's first ingredient has to be water. Then I saw that thread that asks what is the best moisturizing oil. Now I'm confused all over again. So, can an oil be a moisturizer? OOr is it truly just to seal in moisture? Is Shea Butter an oil? Can someone please "enlighten" me!??!?:confused:

Both oil and water are moisturizing and both moisturize in different ways. Water based moisturizers will have a tendancy to wet the hair and cause it to draw up some but oil coats the hair and can exactly help staighten the hair. I use a little of water base moisturizer. I notice if I put too much on my hair I have flat iron it afterwards to get it straight again. So I use a very little of both water base and oil base. Play with both and see how you hair reacts. You will know how much your hair can take. If your hair is in braids or something of course you can use a little more of both. Shea butter is a oil and one the best oils God ever made. It can do so many things but it is know for helping your skin heal itself at the celluar level. :look:

Last edited:
Some moisturizers are water-based and others are oil-based, and you have to find what works best for your hair at what times (post airdrying and on a daily basis, water-based works best for me, but at times, an oil-based is needed on my ends). Oils are not moisturizers, but rather, they are used to seal the moisturizers. I either mix my oils with my moisturizers or apply them directly afterwards. HTH :).

dreemssold said:
Some moisturizers are water-based and others are oil-based, and you have to find what works best for your hair at what times (post airdrying and on a daily basis, water-based works best for me, but at times, an oil-based is needed on my ends). Oils are not moisturizers, but rather, they are used to seal the moisturizers. I either mix my oils with my moisturizers or apply them directly afterwards. HTH :).

Dreamsold, I don't know but I really think oils are moisturizer also. You can use one and not the other and still get results. I do agree that if you use them together they compliment each other and oil seals. But think about oils you put on your body. I use shea butter and many other butters on my hair and body. Once I put this on my body especially during the cold months it really softens my skin. As matter of fact water base lotions don't do the trick for my skin or hair. I always use oil on my body especially my hands and rotate for my hair with water base moisturizers and oil based moisturizers. Sometime I do, do both. :lol:

star said:
Dreamsold, I don't know but I really think oils are moisturizer also. You can use one and not the other and still get results. I do agree that if you use them together they compliment each other and oil seals. But think about oils you put on your body. I use shea butter and many other butters on my hair and body. Once I put this on my body especially during the cold months it really softens my skin. As matter of fact water base lotions don't do the trick for my skin or hair. I always use oil on my body especially my hands and rotate for my hair with water base moisturizers and oil based moisturizers. Sometime I do, do both. :lol:

Correct. Isnt jojoba and olive oil considered a moisturizer?

This is one topic that always leaves me confused. :look:

In the shower, you add water to your skin, but if after you add an oil, your skin is supple, no oil, your skin is ashy.

I find that if I just use water based products, my hair frizzes up, the water evaporates. Glycerin softens my hair, but it would still be frizzy. I find that oil based products keep my hair pliable and shiny and soft. However, I always look for oils based products that have essential fatty acids oil--because i figure those are natural moisturizers--fats right? I find products that have the following oils help my hair & skin:

*coconut oil (a favorite)
* wheat germ oil (a favorite)
* jojoba oil
* soybean oil

The Nexxus Botanic Oil is a blend of oils and reads:
Moisturizes and increases sheen and pliability of ultra-dry, brittle hair.

Last edited:
star said:

When I first came to this board, I also considered oils moisturizers. People argued me up and down they weren't. The only thing that convinced they weren't was that someone (forgive me for not remembering who) made this analogy. If you oil your dry skin, the oil just sort of sits there. If you oil your moisturized skin (even fresh out the shower), the moisture actually is absorbed. Only after reading that did I finally stop saying I moisturized with jojoba oil :grin: , but I certainly understand how either view could be viewed as correct.

I got this from another thread. Tracy pretty much sums it up.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=48378&page=1&highlight=moisturizer

1) are some oils also moisturizers?

Technically, no. But sometimes when oil is added to a moisturizer the result is what we call "oil moisturizers"...not really technically possible - but it doesn't matter so much if u remember that oils coat and moisture penetrates. Only water can provide real moisture.

2) how can I tell the difference between oil and moisturizers?
True "moisturizers" are water based, which means water is usually the first ingredient. That's the best way to tell.

3) should water be the first ingrediant of a good moisturizer?
Yes.

4) what ingrediants do you think are important to look for an effective moisturizer?
Water...and maybe some oil if you don't want to add the two separately and don't mind using oil in the hair. Oil, either mixed into a pre-prepared water based formula, or added after a water based formula is applied, can help to seal in moisture as well as provide some lubrication and elasticity to the hair shaft.

I think you need both, maybe everyones balance/ratio is different, but to me water is not going to moisturize or technically it will moisturize but only for a really short amount of time, if not sealed in with oil. So although oil does not moisturize the hair, your hair won't be moisturized without it.

mrslee said:
Correct. Isnt jojoba and olive oil considered a moisturizer?
Yes. Olive oil especailly I think this stuff is super. Its good if you take it orally for immune system, for the skin to keep it soft and it is dynamite on hair. It's one of the greatest healing oils God made. Many other oils are excellent also like catsor oil. I think each oil has different type of effective on the body. Some more intense then other. And I love, love jojoba oil too. :lol:

Last edited:
bajanplums1 said:
This is one topic that always leaves me confused. :look:

In the shower, you add water to your skin, but if after you add an oil, your skin is supple, no oil, your skin is ashy.

I find that if I just use water based products, my hair frizzes up, the water evaporates. Glycerin softens my hair, but it would still be frizzy. I find that oil based products keep my hair pliable and shiny and soft. However, I always look for oils based products that have essential fatty acids oil--because i figure those are natural moisturizers--fats right? I find products that have the following oils help my hair & skin:

*coconut oil (a favorite)
* wheat germ oil (a favorite)
* jojoba oil
* soybean oil

The Nexxus Botanic Oil is a blend of oils and reads:
Moisturizes and increases sheen and pliability of ultra-dry, brittle hair.
I agree water base frizzes my hair also. I do exactly what you do in search of product. Your list of oils looks like mine but I would add Olive oil also to my list. I love, love olive and coconut oil the most. :look:

Honi said:
I got this from another thread. Tracy pretty much sums it up.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=48378&page=1&highlight=moisturizer

1) are some oils also moisturizers?

Technically, no. But sometimes when oil is added to a moisturizer the result is what we call "oil moisturizers"...not really technically possible - but it doesn't matter so much if u remember that oils coat and moisture penetrates. Only water can provide real moisture.

2) how can I tell the difference between oil and moisturizers?
True "moisturizers" are water based, which means water is usually the first ingredient. That's the best way to tell.

3) should water be the first ingrediant of a good moisturizer?
Yes.

4) what ingrediants do you think are important to look for an effective moisturizer?
Water...and maybe some oil if you don't want to add the two separately and don't mind using oil in the hair. Oil, either mixed into a pre-prepared water based formula, or added after a water based formula is applied, can help to seal in moisture as well as provide some lubrication and elasticity to the hair shaft.

Yes, good post :up:!

Back