Moisture/Protein confusion still.

chelleypie810

So i just basically did a S&D/Trim aaannnndd I've been bunning for the past 3 weeks, I'm committing myself to bunning for at least 3 more months and then decide again if I'm going to do it.. ANYWAY! I'm still having a lot of trouble with this moisture protein balance. I have little hairs breaking but I really feel as if I need moisture not protein. How do you know!? I did the stretch a strand thing..I still couldn't tell. When my hair is wet it doesn't feel mushy so I think I'm going to do mostly moisture treatments for the next month or so and just use a protein based leave in. Hopefully this will work and i'll be able figure this thing out. O yea I forgot..I hate wet bunning and my hair airdries a mess so I'm thinking I should be ok flat ironing on a really low temp like 200 just so I can have some sleekness.

Last edited:
That's basically how you do it. When my balance is thrown of I go back to extremely low manipulation until I can figure it out. Bunning.

Strand test is definitely not sufficient. I feel you.
Moisture protein balance is a pain. I just keep rereading sistaslick's article hoping something will click. When you read something more than once, you pick up stuff you hadn't before.
I'm kind of in denial about protein because I feel like I can never have mushy hair, I feel like my hair is always dry. But I'm relaxed :perplexed

What are the other symptoms your hair is showing chelleypie?

I guess I'm in the minority but I always err on the side of protein. Never moisture. When I'm starting to get breakage I do a medium protein treatment.

Strand test is definitely not sufficient. I feel you.
Moisture protein balance is a pain. I just keep rereading sistaslick's article hoping something will click. When you read something more than once, you pick up stuff you hadn't before.
I'm kind of in denial about protein because I feel like I can never have mushy hair, I feel like my hair is always dry. But I'm relaxed :perplexed

What are the other symptoms your hair is showing chelleypie?

thats about it lol and my ends are dry but i just snipped those bad boys.

It was moisture. I just clarified which i do weekly and did a moisturizing dc, not even I just dc'd for about 5 mins and airdried to about 50% and blow dried and my hair is not dry at all, my ends dont feel a mess. I double bunned and straightened my bangs. Bangs are nice and soft and I'm glad I figured it out. I guess I will just keep moisture dcing and switch up the leave ins with herbal essences ltr and btz last call leave in which is a protein/moisture leave in and call it a day until i notice my hair is becoming too soft and its time for a reconstructor.

Back