Moisture, Moisture, Moisture! I need moisture!

candie19

Ladies, I am 4A/B. I had been doing braid outs for a month. I do the protective styling and by the 2nd day, my ends are extremely dry. I shampoo, use conditioner and oil together and sit under a dryer. A friend suggested Liv conditioner so I use that before I braid my hair. On my ends I use serum made by Optimum. Then I roll the ends w/ small rods. What am I doing wrong.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
candie19 said:
Maybe I'm being too dramatic. Ladies, what do you do to retain moisture in your hair?
spinning.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Glycerine is one product that some swear by, its an humectant , it draws moisture from the environment to your hair (which is great) if you can deal with the stickiness , but if there is no moisture in the air to draw from it will then draw the moisture out of your hair (bad bad bad) i personally couldnt hang with using it. but maybe if you use it , it might give you some immediate needed moisture and you can decide for yourself if you want to keep using it. some use it with oil as well... you can try no poo'ing for a while...but one thing that gives me great moisture...is almost any kind of oil with leave in conditioner (for wetness) or even water....like doing a condtioner wash with oil , then rinsing, and drenching my hair in oil (olive oil, or coconut oil) overnight. Motions CPR is a great condtioner as well.....but oil with water locks in the moisture...thats all i can think of ...hope it helps

It could be the Liv and the Optimum serum. The petroleum/mineral oil and silicones in these products could be your problem. Perhaps try other moisturizers that dont contain, or contain less of those ingredients and that may help. Just a suggestion.

Beyond the Zone Acid Shock Conditioner Booster from Sally's Beauty Supply- it's a ph booster- it adds moisture, shine and helps lock it into the cuticles when used with your conditioner. It's 4oz. for $3.99.

@ Irresistible, your pictures look very lovely.
@ Candie19, do you do rinses at all? I make up a rinse, with aloe vera gel, a little olive oil, castor oil, glycerine, rosewater and I add boiled water, with has been warmed up a little, and I mix it in a small 50 ml bottle, then I add more water to fill up the bottle or you could make a herbal hair tea, with rosemary, nettle, horsetail or put all the herbs together to make the tea. Then I pour over my hair, your hair should keep moist. Also I make up in a spray bottle, glycerine, aloe vera gel, rosewater, castor and olive oil, add boiled water or distilled water to fill up the bottle and try to spray your hair at least twice or more during the day. That also will help.

The first thing that comes to mind when I look at your post is that you're doing a braidout which isn't a protective style. Your ends might be dry becasue they are exposed daily. What's the weather in your neck of the woods? This could also be a factor depending. For example, this week in New York, we've had highs of 15 degrees FAHRENHEIT!!! I wouldn't dream of wearing my hair out in that weather but it may not be a factor where you live.

When I wear braid outs, I have to redo my hair every 2 days anyways becasue the hair doesn't look as fresh and my hair is sometimes dry from all the exposure.

The products may not be the only ones at fault, it may be the daily exposure as well. Especially since the ends are the oldest part of the hair.

HTH----------daviine

EDIT: I just reread your post...if you're saying that you wear your hair in a protective style after the braidout..then disregard my post. It doesn't make as much sense.....Sowwy if my post wasn't helpful....

I agree w/ daviine. Braidouts are great heat-free alternatives and they help to hide lots of newgrowth. But I find they work best in warmer weather because your hair is exposed to the elements. My guess is that the Liv and serum buildup is the culprit...serum is great for some folks on wet or damp hair used once...but after a while, it builds up and prevents moisture from getting to the hair.

Back