Moisture has allowed me to retain tremendous length

Hey ladies

I am on my quest for waist length hair. For the lsat 4 months, I have been moisturizing my hair with Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner creme, and wearing a bun. i must say, i have really been able to retain length. my hair grows about .5 inch per month, and i think i have retained all of my lenghth. even with trims to correct unevenness, my hair has been growin nicely. So, my secret for hair retention....buns and moisture...i.e. no manipulation and damp hair 24/7.

I totally agree tsturnbu :yep:. My hair stays wet/damp, moiturized and in a bun, my hair loves it :drunk::drunk:

I LOVE your hair!!!!!! My GAWD!! Can't wait to reach your length!

You have beautiful hair, Tsturnbu..

Moisure , moisturemoisture is the KEY to retaining length. I use the C&G method, and oil my scalp everyother day, and moisturise my braids everyother day with a braid spray. I find that when I am consistent with moisturizing evryother day, my hair grows very fast thank God :)
The only thing which confuses me right now is:

How do you maintain your flat-ironed straight hair styles while using a high-moisture regimen?

I agree...my hair stays so moisturized and nice when I have it in buns and I keep more length that way. It's just that i don't like wearing buns.:nono:

Your hair is lookin great. It's funny you posted this. I've been bunning my hair this past week with Cantu and (a little water on my brush-old school) and it's been working great. I think it really agrees w/ my hair but now it's time for cornrows for a while. I'll be getting those tomorrow.

You have beautiful hair, Tsturnbu..

Moisure , moisturemoisture is the KEY to retaining length. I use the C&G method, and oil my scalp everyother day, and moisturise my braids everyother day with a braid spray. I find that when I am consistent with moisturizing evryother day, my hair grows very fast thank God :)
The only thing which confuses me right now is:

How do you maintain your flat-ironed straight hair styles while using a high-moisture regimen?

I don't. I only where super straight styles once every 2 months. after i get my hair straightened, i wear it out for 2 days, then its back in a wet bun.

Moisture is definitely the key. My hair is usually slightly damp and it seems to work to help me retain length.

I do not detangle at all. Once I get in teh shower, i slap conditioner on it wet it, and then wash up. 10 minutes later, i rinse teh cond.out (i do not use my hands, just let teh water run down my scalp and back), and then turn teh water off, wring my hair, then slap the shea butter on it, with kemi oyl on teh ends to seal it in, and then bun it up with a scrunchie, adn another scrunchie to secure it. then i wrap a scarf on it and that is it. i detangle once a week in the shower with the widest tooth comb i can find.....very gently....not thoroughly. i only do a thorough detangling onve every 2 weeks. this has allowed me to retain thickness..when i conb too much i lose so much hair and my hair thins as a result because of all the breakage.

this is exactly why i stopped the damp bunning maybe i'll try it this way with just my pony and not a fake one since my hair is not jet black and pin straight like most of the phony buns... but i wonder if the jilbere will make any difference

this is exactly why i stopped the damp bunning maybe i'll try it this way with just my pony and not a fake one since my hair is not jet black and pin straight like most of the phony buns... but i wonder if the jilbere will make any difference

heck yes.... the jilbere will make a world of difference

I don't. I only where super straight styles once every 2 months. after i get my hair straightened, i wear it out for 2 days, then its back in a wet bun.

I LIKE your thinking!!!!! I've followed your fotki for a long time now and have seen that our hair types are very similar...I have been wondering HOW I can maintain my length with moisture but WITHOUT having to wear braids all the time (lots of moisture on braids looks neater for longer than most other moisturized styles on me). I am a moisture fiend lol...it's so GREAT for my hair, but I want to stop wearing braids by December 2008 , and I couldn't think how to maintain my moisture regi WITHOUT the braids..(and keep the hair neat)! I may be trying the wet bun method..

I respect your regi, Tsturnbu!!!! I am not surprised your hair has flourished so greatly...you will so be @ wl in no time on this regi.

'Memba Geri Curls? Moisture, moisture, moisture. So many sista's grew their hair long with that product. It was amazing cuz you didn't have to bun.

Downside was all that drippy grease.

All is all moisturized hair that is strong = long hair.

'Memba Geri Curls? Moisture, moisture, moisture. So many sista's grew their hair long with that product. It was amazing cuz you didn't have to bun.

Downside was all that drippy grease.

All is all moisturized hair that is strong = long hair.

That's real talk...:yep:

I LIKE your thinking!!!!! I've followed your fotki for a long time now and have seen that our hair types are very similar...I have been wondering HOW I can maintain my length with moisture but WITHOUT having to wear braids all the time (lots of moisture on braids looks neater for longer than most other moisturized styles on me). I am a moisture fiend lol...it's so GREAT for my hair, but I want to stop wearing braids by December 2008 , and I couldn't think how to maintain my moisture regi WITHOUT the braids..(and keep the hair neat)! I may be trying the wet bun method..

I respect your regi, Tsturnbu!!!! I am not surprised your hair has flourished so greatly...you will so be @ wl in no time on this regi.

girl, for years, i wore braids to grow my hair. while i did retain lots of length, i always needed a major trim afterwards...negating my progress. So, now i bun, and it is soooo much better than braids, imo, because not only are wet buns ultra low maintenance ( i wont redo the bun for 2 or 3 days) i am able to detangle every so often and not get severe tangles matting, which allows me to retain lenght. i LOVE LOVE LOVE MY bun!

Now, does anyone spray anything to make it more moisturized during the day?

since my hair is fairly long, my bun stays damp for 2 days. for shorter hair, i would suggest to GENTLY (treat it like you're unwrapping a sleeping baby from their blanket) unwrap the bun every night and drench your hair in a creamy leave in (my hair is coarse and thick so a light leave in wont work for me...i need the thick stuff like cantu shea leave in), and then GENTLY wrap it back up in a bun.

trust me, imo, the ultimate key to retain length in coarse, thick ( 4a/b or 4b) is moisture and LOW manipulation. Lots of girls here who have long hair, but wear their hair down everyday or wrap everyday or night, are amazing to me...but most do not have my hair type. They usually have 4a or somewhere in the "3" family. On this board, i find that most girls with my hair type cannot do that and reach great lenghts (mid-back or beyond). we need LOW maintenance, LOTS of moisture, and little protein....empirical evidence of course...all from observation.

since my hair is fairly long, my bun stays damp for 2 days. for shorter hair, i would suggest to GENTLY (treat it like you're unwrapping a sleeping baby from their blanket) unwrap the bun every night and drench your hair in a creamy leave in (my hair is coarse and thick so a light leave in wont work for me...i need the thick stuff like cantu shea leave in), and then GENTLY wrap it back up in a bun.

trust me, imo, the ultimate key to retain length in coarse, thick ( 4a/b or 4b) is moisture and LOW manipulation. Lots of girls here who have long hair, but wear their hair down everyday or wrap everyday or night, are amazing to me...but most do not have my hair type. They usually have 4a or somewhere in the "3" family. On this board, i find that most girls with my hair type cannot do that and reach great lenghts (mid-back or beyond). we need LOW maintenance, LOTS of moisture, and little protein....empirical evidence of course...all from observation.

Wow, you know your stuff! Thank You!:grin: Now, I spray African Royale and Infusium 23 in it every chance, during the day, do you think that works? I do have 4a/b hair?

Wow, you know your stuff! Thank You!:grin: Now, I spray African Royale and Infusium 23 in it every chance, during the day, do you think that works? I do have 4a/b hair?

i like african royale. that is good to keep hair moist during the day....be sure to seal with oil or a creamy leabe in though.... that stuff dries up on me in a few hours. thick leave in keep my hair moist for 10 plus hours....if its in a bun then its moist for 24-36 hours.

i like african royale. that is good to keep hair moist during the day....be sure to seal with oil or a creamy leabe in though.... that stuff dries up on me in a few hours. thick leave in keep my hair moist for 10 plus hours....if its in a bun then its moist for 24-36 hours.
Good point!:grin: Can you recommend a good creamy leave in. I will have to buy some tomorrow, provided I am getting a PS put in this weekend. Thank you for your help!:grin:

Good point!:grin: Can you recommend a good creamy leave in. I will have to buy some tomorrow, provided I am getting a PS put in this weekend. Thank you for your help!:grin:
cantu shea butter is my staple. i have only seen it at walmart though. maybe your local bss will have it

Wow, you are definitely one of my hair inspirations. My hair is 4b thick and coarse which also requires thick creamy products. I am so happy that I learned what works for my hair texture and when people ask why I wear a bun all the time, I look and say b/c I its low maintenance and I like it.

--->Moisture and bunning has allowed me to retain tremendous length<---

remeber to use products that work for you.i keep it very simple.also i agree,when the hair is kept moist,you can see the growth.....the key is to retain your growth..i only wear my hair out for special occasions......this helps me to keep my hair really long.but i do what works for me.great thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

I am a newbie, been here about a month. I am leaning towards this observation with my hair as well. I think I had protein overload. Since coming here I have been trying to work out the protein/moisture balance and my hair seems to :lick: moisture.

Thanks for sharing. Your hair looks great! Continue to do what you're doing with your hair!

Back