Mizani relaxer

JewelleNY

hi everyone, i'm fairly new here but have been reading forum threads for a few months now. I am switching from no-lye to lye relaxers (i do my own) and want to try Mizani. any info regarding this relaxer would be greatly appreciated ;) .

Hi there and welcome!! When I was using this relaxer, I had no complaints. It straightened well and didn't burn which is a plus for me since I have psoriasis on the scalp.

I have fine hair too, this relaxer didnt do well with me. This made my hair heavy and brittle.My new stylist uses Dudley and before that Design Essentials was great too.

I use Mizani Sensitive Formula and it's great on my sensitive scalp. I have to scratch really deep for it to burn. Otherwise, no problems. (this from a chick who has shed tears while rinsing out other relaxers).

I've used Mizani for Sensitive Scalps for almost a year. It straightens well, and does not burn at all. My scalp used to always be on FIRE after using other brands...however, the Sensitive Scalp formula is no-lye. If I have a moment of weakness this Friday :cool: , and somehow happen to wander to the salon to for a touch up appointment instead of transitioning like a good girl, I will probably switch to Mizani or Affirm Mild lye this Friday... :p

I am glad that this thread was started. I had just spoke with someone yesterday how I was considering changing to lye and using Mizani. Thank you. I have seen this relaxer do some nice things on people's hair. They use it here at JC Penney's but I plan to self relax if I should decide to use it. I am still hesistant though. I have been self relaxing my own hair with no lye since I was 14 ( no negligence on my mother's behalf, she just had RA (Rhumatoid Arthritis) and this sister has comb breaking, dynamite hair). I had to learn quick and master it. Thankfully I did, so there is hope for all of those who want to self relax and who are scurred :lol: !

Last edited:
I used this for the first time a few weeks ago. I really like it better than Optimum. My her was not as dried out.

I used mizani for the first time and my hair shedded so much. I noticed it the next day after service and it continued. I don't know if it was from going from no-lye to lye but guess what? I went right back to Soft & Beautiful:)

My last 2 or 3 touchups at the salon were with Mizani Mild (lye). It straightens my resistant, tightly coiled, fine, 4b hair in 17-24 minutes, but it WILL burn the scalp beyond that time. Less shedding and irritation than with Affirm. Better straightening of the coils than with Affirm.

thanks for all of the responses, i will be trying mizani in about two weeks for the first time. i am still undecided if i want the mild or sensitive scalp(unless it is the same thing). i have been using optimum no lye and my hair was becoming so dry looking and fuzzy. i was scared about lye relaxers because my hair is prettty fragile but i will give it a try. i will try to get some pics together by theni have been stretching my relaxer about 7 1/2 weeks (i usually relax every 5 weeks) with good results so maybe by this weekend or the next i will try mizani, will see how long i can take all of the new growth :cool:

JewelleNY said:
thanks for all of the responses, i will be trying mizani in about two weeks for the first time. i am still undecided if i want the mild or sensitive scalp(unless it is the same thing). i have been using optimum no lye and my hair was becoming so dry looking and fuzzy. i was scared about lye relaxers because my hair is prettty fragile but i will give it a try. i will try to get some pics together by theni have been stretching my relaxer about 7 1/2 weeks (i usually relax every 5 weeks) with good results so maybe by this weekend or the next i will try mizani, will see how long i can take all of the new growth :cool:

Just remember that if you decide to use Mizani sensitive it is a no lye relaxer.
\

Back