Mixed race newbie!!

lu123

Hello ladies (and gents),

I recently joined this forum because I am on a mission to get my hair in tip top condition and my goal is to grow it waist length.

Last edited:
I guess the first question is what exactly do you want your hair to do and what are some current issues you are facing (dryness, frizz, tangles, knotting, etc)? I am sure once you have provided answers to those questions, there will be some ladies who can better help you.

BTW, welcome to LHCF!

Awww you're a pretty curly girlie! Welcome newbie! This is a great site to whip your locks into shape. :yep:

There are alot of resources here so you may want to do a search to familiarize yourself with the topics and various methods. It may take a while to find exactly what works for your hair but be patient.

Good luck on your healthy hair journey!

Hey OP and welcome.
You'll find alot of info here but have you also thought about looking at www.britishcurlies.co.uk

It's a good site for all textured hair types and they also sell alot of American products that are mentioned on this forum.

Last edited:
:welcome4: Beautiful hair, keep those locks healthy and loved!:heart2:

As mentioned before, you should search the cg method-there are a lot of little things you'll learn yourself though, just from experience as you start to take care of it differently! Many successes to you! :)

Hey ladies,

Thank you very much for all of the responses!

Kandiekj100 -some of the current issues which I am facing at the moment include dryness, knotting, breakage (argh... this drives me mad!) and quite a lot of frizz. I heard that the keratin treatment was supposed to be helpful in reducing frizz and I have been looking into getting that done?!

Bublin - Thank you for the link! I've checked the website out - great stuff!!

Latterglory - Thank you for the heads up on tightlycurly. I have just found the book on Amazon and I am going to purchase it today. Ultimate hair goal for me I think.... gorgeous hair!!!!

SherylsTresses - Thank you. I shall do that now!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone....

I have just bought a silk head scarf from Ebay because I heard that you should protect your hair at night to help stop breakage??!

Once I have got my hooded dryer, which should arrive this weekend, I am all set to go!

Let the journey begin!

Ps : Apologies for the title.... I was just stating facts!! LOL.

lu123

That's good you already have a silk scarf! I usually use a bonnet for myself only because a scarf falls off during my crazy slumber and the bonnet surprisingly never has lol. As for dryness, how often do you moisturize your hair and what do you use? There are some people who wet their hair and then seal the moisture in with an oil or hair butter (shea for example), I prefer avocado butter.

As for the keratin treatment, I've seen quite a few mention those on another site I go to-naturallycurly-and some have said it did nothing for their hair; results seem to be varied? I've not tried one.

Ugh, knotting! >.< What works for me is finger detangling while I have my leave in conditioner globbed in my head. Some prefer to use a comb, while others may use a denman brush. My hair doesn't tangle often thank goodness, but there's the occassional knot! If you find that your hair likes oils or you are looking for strengthening your hair and decreasing hairfall you may want to look into incorporating aurvedic methods into your regimen. This thread would prove helpful in that case: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=497998

One thing you might also want to do is assess your hair on its: porosity and elasticity. There are tests all over the place that you can use.

There are definitely lots of products to choose from and lines specifically for curlies out there; just have to test out and see what works for ya!

Whew, sorry, that was a lot-it's all ramble, but I hope something helps!

Don't apologize for your title... Be proud of your ethnicity... I'm also mixed race (black/german jewish)... But keep in mind that your ethnicity will have no effect on your hair care regimen meaning that you will have to use trial and error to create an individualized routine for your hair specifically... We all have unique hair with different texture combinations and issues so you will have to find whats best for you... But I would suggest finding people with similar hair types as yours and do some tweaking... Good luck to you and welcome!

welcome newbie @lu123 I use for mositure is co washing with a moisterizing conditioner of your choice and for my curls I love mixed chicks. what I use for thickness and over all shine is henna from mehandi.com

I do other things but I think this is a start for you until your find out what your hair likes and dislikes are.

also I think you would like curly girl book by lorraine massey I think this will help you a lot of learning your hair.

Last edited:
Welcome! I don't have any advice except that deep conditioning works wonders.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

:welcome: to the board! :D

And yes, you don't have to apologize for your title. You're new; you're excused :lol:

Lovely hair! :D

Beautiful hair! Welcome to the board. :)

I just moved to the UK myself and if you dont wanna order online, the area around Finsbury Park is where i get products. Do you know that big shop called PAKS?

they sell errythang there.

Oh and as a fellow european, americans (which are the majority on this board) dont like it when people say they are mixed lmao.. so be proud! - but dont mention it in every post on here cause it wont go down well lol.

Welcome!! Your hair is gorgeous and similar to that of my daughter. Have you tried WEN? I don't know if it is widely available in the UK or not but it is a good product.

Back