Mixed race newbie!!

Hello ladies,

Once again, I appreciate all the info and new replies.

MaraWithLove - Thank you for the very informative post! It never really occurred to me to test the porosity and elasticity of my hair. I think a good place for me to start would be to do that first and then I can work out where to go from there. I moisturise my hair daily and I use a small amount of coconut oil (particularly on the ends) and spray in some leave-in conditioner. I am currently using one by Aussie designed for long hair but I don't know whether it is doing much for my hair. I am still suffering from alot of dryness. My reason for choosing it was due to the fact that I went to get my hair blowed straight a few months back and my hairdresser told me to start using products designed for "Caucasian hair" because products designed for Afro hair are too heavy for my hair type. I am not sure about the degree of truth in this but I have been following her advice. However, I can't help but think that alot of the products which are designed for Caucasian hair are not strong enough for my hair? Trial and error perhaps....

Choconillaprincess - Thank you for the kind words! I think it'd definitely a good idea for me to do some research into finding people with a similar hair type to myself. I have ordered the tightlycurly book from amazon so I can learn more about my hair and how to care for it. Your hair is lovely by the way and the curls are kind of similar to mine. What is your hair regime if you don't mind me asking?

Shadiyah - Thank you! I've heard that Mixed Chicks is supposed to be very good. I am going to order something from their website to test it out. Any recommendations? Also, I will search Amazon for that book now....

Okay - Thank you! Congrats on your move! London is amazing and I don't like too far from there myself, although I am originally from Manchester (also a great city). I have never been to Paks but I have just googled it, found the website and watched the short video that is on there. Excellent stuff! Really appreciate you letting me know about it. I'll be making a trip there as soon as I have decided what products are going to form the foundation of my regime. Also, thanks for the tip about the title issue. I was stating it with reference to my hair type but I believe that it has become rather misconstrued along the way. I didn't realise that it would cause offense. That most definitely wasn't my intention. :-/...... Lesson learnt!!

Biancaelyse - Thanks for letting me know about WEN. I haven't tried it before but after doing a quick google search, I have found that I can order the products from a UK based website. Apparently you can get a cleansing conditioner, styling creme and moist intensive hair treatment all for £24.95 (exc. p&p) so I may consider this. Do you have any particular products from that range that you are a fan of?

Hiya newbie

your hair is lovely and looks really healthy :)
You'll meet your goal in no time love
WELCOME!

lu123

Pak sell a similar product called Hair One. You may wanna look into it.

I've tried the Olive Oil version and it made my hair soft as heck! Have a look on youTube for reviews to see if it could be of benefit to you.

HTH!

my hair regimen is similar to the one in the tightly curly book... except that i cowash every day usually and i don't spend so much time on the combing out with the denman brush and applying the conditioner so diligently... i cowash with mane and tail or suave humectant and finger comb out any tangles if it is very tangled then i use the denman... then i leave some conditioner in... not as much as Ms Terry from the book does though... and let it air dry... at night if i'm not lazy i reapply conditioner and baggy and go to sleep... sometimes if i don't have time in the morning i just pull my hair back in a puff... when my hair was bra length i would twist or braid at night and take it down in the morning and wear it out and crazy if i didnt have time or feel like cowashing again that day... pretty simple... sometimes i experiment with various gels and curl cremes but nothing sticks...

right now i am experimenting with megatek and i'll be updating with those results soon

Hello ladies,

My reason for choosing it was due to the fact that I went to get my hair blowed straight a few months back and my hairdresser told me to start using products designed for "Caucasian hair" because products designed for Afro hair are too heavy for my hair type. I am not sure about the degree of truth in this but I have been following her advice. However, I can't help but think that alot of the products which are designed for Caucasian hair are not strong enough for my hair? Trial and error perhaps....

:welcome:

lu123
Truth be told, not many of us Afro hair ladies use products designed/marketed to Afro hair! A lot of us are using "Caucasian hair" products!

OP, i think you have apologised twice now for describing yourself. Please don't and ignore the sarcastic comments.

You are what you are and it aptly describes your hair or gives us an idea of your hairtype without using the numbers and letters.

You won't find anyone here apologising for calling their hair nappy or afro so why should you.

WELCOME:grin:

as others have mentioned get yourself lorraine massey curly girl book second edition it comes with a DVD :grin:its in WHS for around £7 something like that its a great book!!:yep:

Figure out you texture porosity density these are all going to help you find products and ingredients that will work for you rergardless of whether its in the black or white haircare isle:lol:

nooooooowwww ahem before you start spending money on the fancy american products :giggle:.....i dont want to be a product pusher :look:but if you havent already hooked yourself up with tressemme naturals conditioner moisture or smooth you better get on it.....its £2 900ml in supersavers and you can get it in superdrug great cheapie detangler types 2-4 all rave about the great slip it gives:yep:

Last edited:
Back