Mineral Oil vs. Mineral Jelly:WHAT'S THE DIFFFEREN

Honey6928215

Mineral Oil vs. Mineral Jelly:WHAT\'S THE DIFFFEREN

I have been reading about Mineral Oils in hair products. But I don't know much about mineral jelly unless it's the same as mineral oil. Do anyone know the difference other than it's stunts the hairgrowth. Thanks!

Re: Mineral Oil vs. Mineral Jelly:WHAT\'S THE DIFFFEREN

I have a jar of Nature's Blessings Hair Pomade that has "pure mineral jelly" in it. The product looks and feels like regular old hair grease. I think mineral jelly is a fancy name for petrolatum...

That's what I'm afraid of. But anyway, when I use it, my hair is moist and don't shed as much. Plus, it grows just as well.

I'm still going to use it though. I looove the fragrance!!

Isn't minerol oil just the liquid, and mineral jelly (or petroleum) the solid? Or are there more significant differences between them?
Good question.

Do you think Nature's Blessing pomade ( made with great hair growing oils and mineral jelly ) is OK to use as a sealant? Will it eventually break off the hair due to the hair not getting enough moisture?

petrolatum. Vaseline is pure petrolatum. For some unknown and unsubstantiated reason, petrolatum has attained a negative image in regard to skin care, despite solid research to the contrary. Topical application of petrolatum can help the skin’s outer layer recover from damage, reduce inflammation, and generally heal the skin (Source: Acta Dermato-Venereologica, November–December 2000, pages 412–415).

mineral oil. Clear, odorless oil derived from petroleum that is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions and it cannot become a solid and clog pores. Despite mineral oil’s association with petroleum and the hype that it is bad for skin, keep in mind that petroleum is a natural ingredient derived from the earth and that once it becomes mineral oil USP (cosmetics- and pharmaceutical-grade mineral oil), it has no resemblance to the original petroleum. Cosmetics-grade mineral oil and petrolatum are considered the safest, most nonirritating moisturizing ingredients ever found (Sources: Cosmetics & Toiletries, January 2001, page 79; and Cosmetic Dermatology, September 2000, pages 44–46). Yes, they can keep air off the skin to some extent, but that’s what a good antioxidant is supposed to do; they don’t suffocate skin! Moreover, mineral oil and petrolatum are known to be efficacious in wound healing, and are also among the most effective moisturizing ingredients available (Source: Cosmetics & Toiletries, February 1998, pages 33–40).

I got this info through a reference on tightlycurly.com, link below.

petrolatum + Mineral Oil

Last edited:

I have a jar of Nature's Blessings Hair Pomade that has "pure mineral jelly" in it. The product looks and feels like regular old hair grease. I think mineral jelly is a fancy name for petrolatum...
It is. Only difference is consistency.

Bumping, I just got this hair pomade that has really good ingredients but low on the list is mineral jelly, is that bad?

Ingredients:nettle, rosemary, sage, thyme, amla, pure virgin olive oil, pure coconut oil, sage oil, black seed oil, almond oil, bergamont oil, castor oil, alma oil, mustard oil, pure mineral jelly, natural fragrance, aloe vera

I sure want to know if it eventually breaks off hair...real bad y'all. I read in one single post that I googled that one person stated that it eventually breaks off hair because the petroleum or mineral jelly eventually acts like a 'cone and keeps out the moisture. I dont know....

Back