Mild vs. Regular Relaxer? Where are the self-relaxed Gurus? :)

Hi, everyone!!

I'm trying to decide which strength to use with my next touch-up.

Is it better to use a mild relaxer and let it sit longer (15-17 minutes), or use a regular relaxer for a shorter time (10-15 minutes)? I'm trying to get around 70-80% straight, but I don't want to undo all the progress I've made in thickening my hair.

What do you guys think?

Great post! I'm also considering what strength to use next time I touch up - probably with Silk Elements Lye. My hair is of medium thickness, but I've read so much about underprocessing/overprocessing with different strengths of SE that my head is spinning. I'm interested in the responses to this post.

Huummm. I use a regular. I think my 4a/b hair needs that if I want it smooth.

What have you been using thus far: mild or regular?

I would go with the mild first. I used SE regular and it got me bone straight, so next time I used mild and it still came out great. So Id say go with the mildest relaxer first to see how your hair responds.:)

When I first joined this board I use to use ORS Olive Oil Super and now I use ORS OO Normal and get the same results and I have thick hair...If you want your hair to be bone straight, leave it in for the recommended time. If you still want to have some of your curl pattern you can leave it on for half the time:) JMO and HTH:)

Thanks for all the responses!! I knew ya'll would come through! :grin:

Let's see. In June, I used a mild one for about 15 minutes, and still had alot of curl left. It was more of a light texturizer than anything.

So when I touched-up in September (my last one), I used regular strength. I was so paranoid about over-processing, though, it only stayed on for 10 minutes (total app. time), and a did a tiny corrective to the growth from June. My hair has alot of wave in it now. If it was all this texture, I could do a nice wash-n-go, though! :lol:

So, I know I need more processing time to get the texture I'm after... I guess I should go with the regular strength for longer? It sounds like the mild would have to sit on my hair for 20+ minutes!

Back