Micro ring extensions

mikimix

Has anyone on here ever got micro ring extensions? Or know anyone who has got it?

I'm thinking of getting them as my friend knows someone who can do it for £130

My hair is relaxed and cut in a shoulder length bob right now

They are extensions that you put in strand by strand

micro_ring.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ7IHG_BDyg&feature=channel

@hothair has had them. KurlyNinja I shared a link to a demo of them being inserted in an old thread where we discussed them. I think if you have kinky hair that isn't straightened, you risk tangles and SSKs with them since your hair is loose and left sandwiched between the additional hair and I imagine it'd be hard to comb your hair properly but I may be wrong. Might be OK for straight hair...

Yes I have. They are the only extensions I'd do. I had them as a natural. You have to keep your hair stretched to not look a mess and your edges straightened. I was going to try a curly one but never got to it.

Since I've been relaxed, I had it in for 4 months with no problems/tangling new growth. I got the ones with the silicone ring in it so my hair loved it.

Same as usual. I have my reggie posted all over the relaxed threads. It is really like having your own hair out just with extra protection/length

I have seen significant breakage in the salon from these... I believe its due to the lack of reinforcement that can be provided with a braid base.

I have seen significant breakage in the salon from these... I believe its due to the lack of reinforcement that can be provided with a braid base.

SummerSolstice I would think it's more from the strain and weight of the additional hair being attached to just one spot and that alone. This woudl be similar to the breakage that occurs from wearing a ponytail holder in the same spot. When hair is braided, more of your hair "supports" the additional hair along the length and if you redo the braids regularly, you move the strain to newer growth that is stronger and therefore spread the "weight" of the hair over a larger section--particularly if you're braiding to the ends. If you're just doing invisible braids where only the base is braided, you'd risk strain too...but I do think braiding a little distance would still be better than attaching extra hair to one spot.

@SummerSolstice I would think it's more from the strain and weight of the additional hair being attached to just one spot and that alone. This woudl be similar to the breakage that occurs from wearing a ponytail holder in the same spot. When hair is braided, more of your hair "supports" the additional hair along the length and if you redo the braids regularly, you move the strain to newer growth that is stronger and therefore spread the "weight" of the hair over a larger section--particularly if you're braiding to the ends. If you're just doing invisible braids where only the base is braided, you'd risk strain too...but I do think braiding a little distance would still be better than attaching extra hair to one spot.

I meant a braid base like this for a regular sew-in weave:

images

Do they do these links on individual braids as well Nonie? I wonder what the result would be... probably just like u said...

I meant a braid base like this for a regular sew-in weave:

images

Do they do these links on individual braids as well @Nonie? I wonder what the result would be... probably just like u said...

@SummerSolstice, I think you misunderstand how they are done. They are not done on cornrows as you posted. The hair is attached to a few hairs...like little ponytails with hair hanging off it. Did you see the video I posted? It shows you how it's done. There's no braiding involved.

So my point was, you have a clip holding onto one section of your hair... which IMO can cause a lot of strain on that spot (just like a ponytail clip in the same position can cause strain that causes breakage). I compared this to individuals because both have hair attached to a small section of your own hair.

I'm also thinking of having these done, I think I saw a thread a while back where someone did a DIY, I will probably be doing the same, just need to find some good low lustre kinky curly hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

It's not the same as a ponytail. It's more like doing braids without the plaits. It's a very light ring - mine with silicone coating on the inside- you pull your hair through, then you insert the keratin tipped hair in it and use a small tool to press the band so the ring closes around your hair and the extension.

Breakage occurs if you attach hair that is way more than the section of your own hair - just like with braids.

It's very easy to put in and take out. I even make my own keratin tipped hair

I have done them years ago back when I used relaxer, it's a nice alternative to gluing and braiding. the down side if you do self install and self uninstall like I did, you will run the risk of getting the micro clamps masses into your hair. I had one that would not open up properly when I was taking them out. lost a few hairs in that fight LOL

How did you manage to do a self install? It seems really difficult especially the small exact parts, in the back of your head. Also how do you know how much of the extension hair to use in ratio to your own hair? Ive always wanted to try this but its so expensive. I think Toya Carter uses this method.

I had thought about this years ago but thought it was only available for caucasian hair. Glad to see its not, I would love to try this out.
Is Tami from basketball wives wearing these extensions this season on the show?

Last edited:
How did you manage to do a self install? It seems really difficult especially the small exact parts, in the back of your head. Also how do you know how much of the extension hair to use in ratio to your own hair? Ive always wanted to try this but its so expensive. I think Toya Carter uses this method.

You can find people to do it for cheap on the internet like craigslist or something
thats what im doing and thats what my friend did

I've just ordered all my supplies, I have some lovely kinky straight hair here which I'm going to pre tip myself. I've watched a few YouTube videos and it looks pretty simple so I will be self installing. Im just waiting in my sabino mb to arrive so my press will last longer then i will install

Caramel Hottie UK said:
I've just ordered all my supplies, I have some lovely kinky straight hair here which I'm going to pre tip myself. I've watched a few YouTube videos and it looks pretty simple so I will be self installing. Im just waiting in my sabino mb to arrive so my press will last longer then i will install

Ooh yay... Let us know how it turns out, I would love to try this one day!

please let us know how it turns out

also where did you get your supplies and how much did it cost?

I will be sure to keep you all updated! I received my silicone micro rings, pliers and metal loop today, I think it all came up to £15 delivered from eBay, just waiting on my glue gun and sticks :)

Well I've got the back done so far, I really like it! It feels really light and you can't feel the rings that much. My only issue is that I would have liked it to be a little more fuller, I'm used to a lot of hair but that may change after I do the sides. I will be back with pics once it's all finished and pressed out :)

Sorry for asking so many questions lol
But where did you get the extensions? did you get straight hair extensions and flat iron your natural hair? or did you get curly extensions?

No problem, I just used some regular weft hair that I already had. I watched a few YouTube vids on how to make pre tipped hair, it was really easy to make them, just time consuming.

Bumping. I'm still curious about these, I'm thinking of trying them this winter but I'm not sure. Have we stated whether or not they truly are damaging? Do they sleep out? Can it be pulled/manipulated without harming real hair?

Back