Mega-Tek Users- Moisture/Protein Balance

I cowash in the middle of the week and do my regular shampoo on the weekend. I apply my Mega-Tek 2-3 times a week so I would cowash somewhere in between my 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd applications. It just depends.
^^^ This is exactly how I use mine. I have not experienced any shedding. I read the threads aboout OCT/MT and upped my DC game to try to stave off any dryness from the extra protein too. Most of the ladies in the original threads said the shedding should stop w/i a few weeks and was due to new hair replacing the older hair strands. Everyone's experience is different though. Pay attention to what your hair tells you it needs:yep:. The MT has accelerated my hair growth. I suffered a couple of setbacks over the past few months including have ing to trim about 1/2" to 1" off b/c of the TT:nono:. That was last month. The hair is about back to the same length now:grin:.

Ok, so I applied my MT for the first time last night- Lord, I was so nervous! lol

Here is the mix I created: 3 oz of various oils (castor, EVOO, WGO), 1 oz of AVG, 1 teaspoon of sulfur, & approx 2 teaspoons of MT.

What do you guys think of this concoction? I was kinda thinking that maybe there was too much oil and sulfur, and too little MT, but I'm not sure.

I co-washed my hair, then applied the mix to my scalp between my cornrows using one of those hair color application bottles with the narrow tip. Afterwards, I moisturized with QB and sealed with castor oil/WGO.

I was SOOO nervous when I woke up this morning thinking I'd find clumps of hair be on my pillow :lol: but my hair was actually very soft! So far, so good.

I'm gonna start moisturizing twice/day just to be safe, and will bump up my co-washing to every other day (on the day I apply the mix). I also started taking the garlic pills yesterday- 500mg. Thanks @Your Cheeziness !

Last edited:
I agree with mzteaze. I use MT straight, as protein conditioner on the length of my hair. My hair loves protein, so I don't find it too harsh at all. But I know most find it beneficial to follow up with a moisturizing cond.
:yep:Same here, sometimes i dont even bother with the moisturizing con.
My hair likes protein and i'm tired of the mess that is Apoghee 2 step(cant wait for the bottle to end) so using Megatek frequently gives me the same results without the mess.
I tried using it on my scalp (i was in the challenge last year) and its a hassle, not to mention that it gave me headaches the 1st few weeks (turns i can only use 1tbs on my scalp).

Ok ladies, I started using Mega-Tek today......Made a mix of equal parts of Mega-Tek and JBCO in a applicator bottle. Smells nice, that much I can report for now. I applied it to my damp scalp and massaged it in.

I also took my first garlic supplement today, and I will soon recieve Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner in effort to prevent shedding.....:crossfingers:
I plan to co-wash 1-2x per week and moisturise well.

Wish me luck!!:spinning:

Of course you can use Megatek as a DC. However, be sure to either mix it with a moisturizing conditioner OR follow the DC (I use it for 10-15 mins with heat) with a moisturizing conditioner (which I leave on 30+ minutes).

thanks I dc'd with this when relaxed but wonder if you can leave aphogee behind. I love the smell of this stuff and can buy it locally. I need to check into them gallon sizes. I love the pump.

Droid typing leads to typos for me

you know what I am just going to give it a try(leaving aphogee behind). Next month I will put this on my hair buy list to go with my protective styling.

Ok ladies, I started using Mega-Tek today......Made a mix of equal parts of Mega-Tek and JBCO in a applicator bottle. Smells nice, that much I can report for now. I applied it to my damp scalp and massaged it in.

I also took my first garlic supplement today, and I will soon recieve Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner in effort to prevent shedding.....:crossfingers:
I plan to co-wash 1-2x per week and moisturise well.

Wish me luck!!:spinning:

Good luck! I'm designating you my MT buddy now, whether you like it or not....sorry :lol: #TeamMT- Let's go :grin:

suns4i6e, mzteaze you guys that use Megatek as a deep conditioner, how long did 1 bottle (16oz) last you?

For me 1 bottle (blue one/rebuilder) with every other day use lasts about a month.

I've gotten an inch in one month so far. I will be updating at the end of May. My first bottle I used every other day straight. I would apply on Monday to my scalp like grease and then leave it in until Wednesday, my next application day. I would co wash and then reapply the same day. No shedding problems. I took a garlic pill a day. My hair feels awesome!

Now I'm upping to daily application and rinsing. Oh and I like to cover my hair with a plastic cap at night and remove to put my wig on. I'm wigging it now to keep growth.

bride91501 I have no quarrels with that.....we'll be MT buddies fo' sho!:

Go Team MT!!!!

I took pics of my hair last night so I could do a comparison later on. My natural hair is so thick and fluffy, got my relaxed ends looking pathetic. I just want my hair to gro gro gro so the natural hair reaches to SL then my ends can go.

The gallon of mega tek in my area is $33 and he said I could special order and it will be here tuesday, so hopefully my card comes this week, I lost it and had to get a replacement.

Anyways I am going to use mines straight up and follow with oil. $33 is so cheap when a bottle cost like close to that. I am so excited!

ETA- the real gallon price is $180 they quoted me wrong.

The gallon of mega tek in my area is $33 and he said I could special order and it will be here tuesday, so hopefully my card comes this week, I lost it and had to get a replacement.

Anyways I am going to use mines straight up and follow with oil. $33 is so cheap when a bottle cost like close to that. I am so excited!

@Geminigirl,
$33:shocked:for 1 gal size?! Do they have an online store? Otherwise...I'm jealous **sucks teeth** The cheapest I found that gal size for is $120:fistshake:.

Ok, so you know you now have to spill this hook-up, right? :grin: Baltimore is right up the road from DC, so wherever he is, he can't be that far from me lol.

@Geminigirl,
$33:shocked:for 1 gal size?! Do they have an online store? Otherwise...I'm jealous **sucks teeth** The cheapest I found that gal size for is $120:fistshake:.

yea he actually said 32 something. I am def going to get it if I can, I called, he went and checked, I asked the price and that is what he said. I will pm you the store, I believe they have a website, but I don't know if they sell online.

ok I will just post out here, I am on my phone and can't post a link, but the store is actually in bel air md. If you google "the mill of bel air" it will come up. I believe they have two other stores that maybe closer to dc.

I will let you all know how it goes after I order as I won't be paying that much. I remember I had problems trying to get this some years ago but no one ever told me to come in and make the order so we will see.

The man I talked to I asked him specifically for the gallon. He said they were out but that I could special order. I asked the price and he said $32 and some change. I was happy too.

The phone number I called was 410-893-7721. If anyone else wants to call and see what price they are told. then come back and let us know. If this is a really a steal shhhhhhh before they up the price.

I'm using mt because I think my hair needed the protein. I remember my hair feeling really good with it when I used it before, so since I've been having a lot of unexplainable breakage I thought I'd try it again. I'm not even using the MT for length, but it will be a welcome side effect :yep: I'll check progress after I use up the bottle. Plus, I'm hitting my summer workout routine stride, which seems to give me growth spurts too.

waiting on the mail to come today and hope my debit card is in it. I will def keep you posted when I order. I am going to call again and check on price.

Ok I just called. Stupid people I know I was very clear in what I asked yesterday but today she told me that they have never had the gallon size in stock. Someone named chris or kris is suppossed to be checking on the price for me and giving me a call back. She said she doesn't know if it will be today. I knew it was too good to be true. I wish people would listen so as not to give out wrong info. Got me all excited for nothing.

They have the 16oz. In and that is 25 so I am thinking the gallon isn't going to be the price they told me. Hopfully its like 60 which I can work with too.

Ok, so thanks to the subliminal peer pressure in this thread lol....last night, I ditched my MT/sulfur/oil mix and applied the MT straight up. Shhhhh! :lol:

I was quite worried. I'm always worried when it comes to my hair b/c it's growing so well I keep thinking I'm gonna do something to *** it up lol. I greased my scalp with the MT last night, moisturized & sealed the heck outa my hair, and prayed for the best. My hair was a teeeny tiny bit dry when I work up, but nothing to get up in arms about. I moisturized with my homemade juice this morning, and now my hair's as soft as it's been in forever! Yay!

I'm gonna apply the MT straight for the remaining 2 weeks I have left in these cornrows, then I'll survey my progress (or lackthereof) when I take them down) to see if I need to go back to a mix.

Just a word of caution to the ladies who are newly using MT straight... Those of us who already do this know that our hair likes/loves protein, therefore no unjust harm is being done. If you are unsure or find that your mixtures with oils, moisturizing conditioners, etc., are working for you, don't fix what ain't broken. In our zeal to maximize benefits we often do the most, which isn't always in our better interest. Goodness knows I've been guilty of this. Don't forget that slow and steady will get you there :yep:.

Oops typed before reading. The answer was posted.

For those using the MT on the scalp for the first time. If you haven't read the previous threads on MT - please do as there are a lot of details on people's experiences.

However, one word of caution, from experience, much is made over the potential for shedding with MT. In my experience, I did some reading on growth aids and learned that a BRIEF period (described as no longer than 4 to 6 weeks with use) of shedding is generally expected. Not everyone is affected, but some are. If you find yourself in this group (as I was), before immediately stopping, try to assess the level of shedding. I did this and realized that while I experienced a bit of shedding, it was slight (it ended within 4 weeks) AND the quality of shed hair was the really sickly, thin looking hair. So before you hit the panic button, consider how to attack it before giving up. (However, if it is EXTREME in any way - of course use common sense here, please.)

Here are some suggestions to combat shedding if you experience it OR want to hedge your bets a bit:
- Take garlic supplements.
- Take MSM supplements.
- Use a garlic based shampoo and/or conditioner (Nutrisse garlic condish and AE garlic conditioners are frequently mentioned. I used AE and found it helpful)
- Use a few drops of a MTG or a similar sulfur based mix on your scalp.
- Black tea rinses

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Great advice mzteaze & suns4i6e. There is so much good information in this thread.

I actually wanted to try MT at the beginning of my HHJ, 1 year ago, but I didn't because after researching it, I learned it was a protein and I thought my hair didn't like proteins b/c it's very thick. One of the most important things I've learned on my journey so far is that although my hair is thick, my strands are actually fine to medium, and my hair actually enjoys protein on a regular basis. This is the only reason I knew I could probably incorporate MT into my reggie, and after further consideration, I was fairly confident that my hair could tolerate (and maybe even enjoy?) MT straight instead of mixed.

In any event, the one message I've consistently followed from this board is to "listen to your hair"...I think we should all keep this in mind, especially with a product like MT.

Please keep the advice coming ladies! This thread has a bunch of lurkers I see.... :yep: :lol:

I was wondering since the shedding was suppossed to be normal if supplements were needed.

I was wondering since the shedding was suppossed to be normal if supplements were needed.

I think it's normal, especially if the product is working. I just take it because I'm stingy with my strands and don't feel like sweeping up extra hair. :lol:

Your Cheeziness girl I agree 100%! lol.

You should see me estimating the number of shed hairs last night. I know shedding is normal, but if I can combat an increase in shedding with supplements, I am ON IT!

My personal approach was to attack it from within AND externally. So supplements help in general IF and only if you are consistent with it. That's pretty much the same with MT, you must be consistent to see results.

But, in the same vein, supplements aren't necessary at all. You can just as easily use topical sources to combat shedding as well. Many get decent results with MSM infused products as well as the garlic condish. Some have even made their own.

Thanks for the responses, it's looks like either way I guess I have to do something. I guess I was just wondering if you did nothing, and just let it shed, if it would be ok. Since the shedding is supposed to be normal. But i'd rather just take the garlic pills.

Back