Mega-Tek Users- Moisture/Protein Balance

bride91501

So....after seeing some of the great progress members have gotten from using mega-tek (MT), I've decided to give it a trial run. I realize there are a number of MT/OCT threads, but TBH the info is overwhelming and I thought I'd get a clearer answer here :grin:

I plan to use a mixture of sulfur, MT, various oils, and aloe vera juice/gel on my scalp every other day. I'm currently CW'ing 2-3x per week, and DC 1x week. Should I add another CW, or DC to my reggie?

I also do a light PT with Aphogee 2M (A2M) once/week. Can I replace this with MT? Or is MT a much stronger PT conditioner than the A2M? My hair does well with the A2M, but I don't think it could handle a harsher protein treatment.

Any advice is greatly appreciated- TIA!

You have to go by how your hair feels, but based on your reggie I'd think you'd be fine. I have a similar mix that I use every day on my edges, which are thin, and 2x/week on the rest of the scalp. I do a tea rinse and CW 1x/week, and a regular wash and Dc 1x/week with no problems. I stay conscious of how my hair is feeling though.

As for MT as a conditioner, I use it in place of the Aphogee 2 step, not the 2M. There is no oil in MT and it's not a balanced moisture-protein conditioner. If the 2M is as far as your hair likes protein, I'd say stick with that, because the MT is stronger, IMO.

Good luck, and let us know your results :yep:!!

I just bought another bottle of Mega Tek. I tried it a couple years ago and I loved the way it made my hair feel, but I was relaxed then. Interested to see how it acts on my natural hair.

When I used Megatek, I still did my protein (when it was needed). Since I only used Megatek on my scalp, my hair did not get the protein, so a seperate treatment was needed.

I'd say if you're new to MT and sulfur, to try them separately first to see how your hair and scalp react to it. That way if it's a problem, you'll know what the culprit is.

Thanks ladies!

@Your Cheeziness - I've been using a sulfur oil mix on my scalp for 6-7 months now, with no adverse reactions. It is a little drying, but I've stepped up my co-washes and water rinsing, & all has been well. Since I now know my hair is not PT-sensitive (I used to think I was since it's thick, but my strands are fine to medium), I think I should be able to include MT regularly on my scalp as long as I balance with additional moisture.

Question- Why did you stop using MT?

@Ronnieaj - thanks for the advice about MT not being an equivalent conditioner to A2M. I've actually never done a heavier PT, but the A2M does such a great job on my hair, I think anything significantly heavier may cause me serious issues :nono:

Is there anything else I should be aware of before starting? The MT should be arriving any day now- getting excited!

Last edited:
I use MegaTek as a protein conditioner on my hair weekly or bi-weekly. I hand-mix in wheat germ oil with each handful before adding it to my hair. After fully applied, I sit under a hood dryer for 10 to 15 minutes then rinse out. I follow up with a moisture DC. This set up works well for me.

Regarding your routine, if you are planning on substituting MT (as a protein condish) for Aphrogee 2 min....I would definitely up my moisture as MT is considered to be a stronger protein. While I haven't had any problems with using MT since I started doing this back in January, I always suggest using lots of moisture as a balance.

I also used to use MT as a mix on my scalp with sulfur. I wouldn't change my routine if that is the only way you plan to use it.

Thanks ladies!

@Your Cheeziness - I've been using a sulfur oil mix on my scalp for 6-7 months now, with no adverse reactions. It is a little drying, but I've stepped up my co-washes and water rinsing, & all has been well. Since I now know my hair is not PT-sensitive (I used to think I was since it's thick, but my strands are fine to medium), I think I should be able to include MT regularly on my scalp as long as I balance with additional moisture.

Question- Why did you stop using MT?

Oh you should be good! I stopped because I got lazy. I'd used it for 6 months straight and got 4.5 inches. The biggest spurt was in the first two months. I got 2 inches in 7 weeks. After that it tapered off to about 1 inch every 6 weeks when my normal rate was 1 inch every 10 weeks.

I'd used it for 6 months straight and got 4.5 inches. The biggest spurt was in the first two months. I got 2 inches in 7 weeks. After that it tapered off to about 1 inch every 6 weeks when my normal rate was 1 inch every 10 weeks.

Girl. Reading this made me wish I'd chosen the 1 day shipping instead of being cheap and waiting 5 days lol. Are you serious?? That is great!! How did you use it- with oils or straight up? Applied to the scalp? Inquiring minds wanna know!

And your relaxed hair is GORGEOUS btw. So was your natural hair; I'm glad you did what works for you :yep:

Girl. Reading this made me wish I'd chosen the 1 day shipping instead of being cheap and waiting 5 days lol. Are you serious?? That is great!! How did you use it- with oils or straight up? Applied to the scalp? Inquiring minds wanna know!

And your relaxed hair is GORGEOUS btw. So was your natural hair; I'm glad you did what works for you :yep:

I used it skrait up :giggle:. I was bunning the whole time so it worked out. I just greased my scalp with it every other day. I cowashed twice a week to prevent buildup and did a full wash once a week. I was on 100% protective styling then since my hair was so damaged so it worked out. I think I also stopped because I wanted to start wearing my hair out and cowashing less. Here are my proof pics.

http://public.fotki.com/ECheezy/relaxed-hair/length-checks-augus/ Please excuse the ratchetness that was my hair. I was a newbie. Don't judge. :nono:

Thanks for the compliment. You know I always have to do me. :yep:

ETA: I think the key to my growth was that I cowashed often and applied it to a damp scalp. I read on OCT's website that this is the preferred application method. When I was using it and not cowashing as often (just applying product on product) my results weren't as steller. Idk..just a hunch. Maybe damp scalp = open pores = more absorbtion. Idk.

Last edited:
Thanks mzteaze . You are always so helpful btw :):yep:
Why did you stop using MT on your scalp?

Awww thanks.

I stopped cuz I got lazy. :lol:
Plus, I started coloring my hair and while I want growth, my hair comes in gray under the color sooooo :rolleyes:
My hair is growing well without the boost (so far) and other than the initial growth spur, I didn't see a lot of extraordinary growth.

One new idea I am looking at right now is seasonal growth spurts. I just got my hair colored 2 weeks ago and now literally can see at least 1/8" to 1/4" of new growth. :grin::spinning: So I think using MT on the length of my hair helps maybe as much as the scalp treatment.

Next time get it from amazon. I got mine no tax, free two day shipping :drunk::yep::lick:

I used it skrait up :giggle:. I was bunning the whole time so it worked out. I just greased my scalp with it every other day. I cowashed twice a week to prevent buildup and did a full wash once a week. I was on 100% protective styling then since my hair was so damaged so it worked out. I think I also stopped because I wanted to start wearing my hair out and cowashing less. Here are my proof pics.

http://public.fotki.com/ECheezy/relaxed-hair/length-checks-augus/ Please excuse the ratchetness that was my hair. I was a newbie. Don't judge. :nono:

Thanks for the compliment. You know I always have to do me. :yep:

ETA: I think the key to my growth was that I cowashed often and applied it to a damp scalp. I read on OCT's website that this is the preferred application method. When I was using it and not cowashing as often (just applying product on product) my results weren't as steller. Idk..just a hunch. Maybe damp scalp = open pores = more absorbtion. Idk.

Your results? I mean....I'm speechless :blush:. I really don't know what to say. I've NEVER seen growth like that before. Your hair LITERALLY made a 180 degree turn!

Thanks for the tip re applying to a damp scalp. Your results have me wondering if maybe I should try the MT straight up, instead of mixing it. Hmmmm....so many decisions to make!

Your results? I mean....I'm speechless :blush:. I really don't know what to say. I've NEVER seen growth like that before. Your hair LITERALLY made a 180 degree turn!

Thanks for the tip re applying to a damp scalp. Your results have me wondering if maybe I should try the MT straight up, instead of mixing it. Hmmmm....so many decisions to make!

I would only use the MT straight up if you're going to make sure to put something moisturizing on top of it. That's why a lot of people mix it, so they don't have two steps and it thins out the product some. I also apply it to a damp scalp, a la OCT.

Don't forget that MT is notorious for causing shedding. So be sure to have your garlic conditioners or supplements ready to help combat it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I would only use the MT straight up if you're going to make sure to put something moisturizing on top of it. That's why a lot of people mix it, so they don't have two steps and it thins out the product some. I also apply it to a damp scalp, a la OCT.

Don't forget that MT is notorious for causing shedding. So be sure to have your garlic conditioners or supplements ready to help combat it.

Cosign on the garlic supplements. I took one 500 mg odorless tablet a day and had next to no shedding. If I skipped a day, the shedding came back.

I didn't use my Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor this week, because my hair felt too hard already from using the Mega-tek (I apply every other night on my scalp). After I shampooed I just did a regular dc and my hair was fine. Hardly any shedding or breaking. The Mega-Tek is sufficient enough to not need a protein treatmen imo. HTH. :)

lilpooky - do you use the MT straight, or do you mix it with oils?

Thanks for your input btw. I tend to watch my hair very closely whenever I make any change to my reggie. Thanks for the reminder :)

Do you mean apply something moisturizing at the same time you're applying MT, or after you've rinsed it out?

Cosign on the garlic supplements. I took one 500 mg odorless tablet a day and had next to no shedding. If I skipped a day, the shedding came back.

That quickly? I'm currently taking garlic supplements, but I wasn't aware that once I stop that my hair would almost immediately begin to shed...

I didn't use my Aphogee 2 Min Reconstructor this week, because my hair felt too hard already from using the Mega-tek (I apply every other night on my scalp). After I shampooed I just did a regular dc and my hair was fine. Hardly any shedding or breaking. The Mega-Tek is sufficient enough to not need a protein treatmen imo. HTH. :)

How often did you shampoo? I mean, did you wash between applications or did you simply add more MT on top of the previous application from the day before?

^^^^ Yes, no matter what brand I used (Aafes or Nature's Gate) that was my result. It was not a long-term fix. It only lasted for about a 24 hour period.

I use MegaTek as a protein conditioner on my hair weekly or bi-weekly. I hand-mix in wheat germ oil with each handful before adding it to my hair. After fully applied, I sit under a hood dryer for 10 to 15 minutes then rinse out. I follow up with a moisture DC. This set up works well for me.

Regarding your routine, if you are planning on substituting MT (as a protein condish) for Aphrogee 2 min....I would definitely up my moisture as MT is considered to be a stronger protein. While I haven't had any problems with using MT since I started doing this back in January, I always suggest using lots of moisture as a balance.

I also used to use MT as a mix on my scalp with sulfur. I wouldn't change my routine if that is the only way you plan to use it.

I agree with mzteaze. I use MT straight, as protein conditioner on the length of my hair. My hair loves protein, so I don't find it too harsh at all. But I know most find it beneficial to follow up with a moisturizing cond.

do you think you could dc with this instead of aphogee? I am really trying to find an alternative, I hate the process and the smell. My hair needs the protein though because I have fine strands.

Droid typing leads to typos for me

do you think you could dc with this instead of aphogee? I am really trying to find an alternative, I hate the process and the smell. My hair needs the protein though because I have fine strands.

Droid typing leads to typos for me

Of course you can use Megatek as a DC. However, be sure to either mix it with a moisturizing conditioner OR follow the DC (I use it for 10-15 mins with heat) with a moisturizing conditioner (which I leave on 30+ minutes).

i think my hair needs protein bc it behaves better with mega tek. like, the strands are more separated instead of matting or something. i dont want to have to correct a protein overload so ill alternate with a moisturizing condish, but i like using mega tek as a cowash.

i think my hair needs protein bc it behaves better with mega tek. like, the strands are more separated instead of matting or something. i dont want to have to correct a protein overload so ill alternate with a moisturizing condish, but i like using mega tek as a cowash.

Hmm, now that would be expensive...

suns4i6e, mzteaze you guys that use Megatek as a deep conditioner, how long did 1 bottle (16oz) last you?

I agree with mzteaze. I use MT straight, as protein conditioner on the length of my hair. My hair loves protein, so I don't find it too harsh at all. But I know most find it beneficial to follow up with a moisturizing cond.

Of course you can use Megatek as a DC. However, be sure to either mix it with a moisturizing conditioner OR follow the DC (I use it for 10-15 mins with heat) with a moisturizing conditioner (which I leave on 30+ minutes).

suns4i6e, mzteaze you guys that use Megatek as a deep conditioner, how long did 1 bottle (16oz) last you?

Kachi I am still on my first bottle which I bought last year (July 2010). I used 2-4 oz to make a scalp mix...then have used the rest as a DC. I think I have about 1/4 of the bottle left.

Last edited:
@suns4i6e, @mzteaze you guys that use Megatek as a deep conditioner, how long did 1 bottle (16oz) last you?

Kachi, I'm not sure I can give you an adequate time span of how long it lasts me because I alternate with other protein conditioners (Curl Junkie Repair Me, Spiral Solutions Protein Treatment). My hair at its longest layers is MBL and I use generously, so it doesn't last me as long it perhaps should :blush:. Fortuantely, there is a horsey store close by so I am able to purchase on the ground.

@lilpooky - do you use the MT straight, or do you mix it with oils?

Thanks for your input btw. I tend to watch my hair very closely whenever I make any change to my reggie. Thanks for the reminder :)

I mix my Mega-Tek with an oil blend such as Wonder 8 Oil.

How often did you shampoo? I mean, did you wash between applications or did you simply add more MT on top of the previous application from the day before?

I cowash in the middle of the week and do my regular shampoo on the weekend. I apply my Mega-Tek 2-3 times a week so I would cowash somewhere in between my 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd applications. It just depends.

Last edited:
Do you mean apply something moisturizing at the same time you're applying MT, or after you've rinsed it out?

My MT is mixed with oil, but if I were applying it straight I'd put something moisturizing on top of it. I apply MT at night and wash the next day; if I were going to apply it for only a few minutes and then wash I'd just follow with a moisturizing conditioner.

I also use MT as a protein condish on the length of my hair. I can mix it with a moisturizing DC as a balanced conditioner, or if I want something stronger I use it alone and then follow with a moisture DC. Once I get through some of my balanced protein condishes, I think I'm going to start using MT exclusively, and will probably break down and buy the gallon size.

Back