MBL 2013 Challenge!

I'm bunning right now. Mid month I'll be putting in a set of twists and at the end of the month I think I will be putting in a set of mini braids. I'm also planning to dust at the end if Jan. I hope everybody is doing well!

Hi Ladies just checking in with my official length check for this challenge. I am currently protective styling under my lace wig and have recently just graduated from the BSL 2012 challenge. I am ready for maximum length retention this year and growth. I will do a light protein treatment with Aphogee 2 minute reconstructer this weekend and follow that with the Shea Moisture Deep conditioning treatment mask. I will clarify my hair with the Aubrey organics green tea clarifying shampoo to get all of the silicone out of my hair from the Argan oil I used to flat iron it. Then I will flat twist and braid my hair down flat so that it lays nicely under my Yaki straight lace wig that I plan on ombreing this weekend as well.
So, that's all I really plan to do this year is protective style to acheive my goal of Mid Back length and I also plan on stepping up my vitamin and work out routines for this year to help with growth.

Attachments

• MBL Length Check Picture 12-31-2012.JPG
    MBL Length Check Picture 12-31-2012.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 84
I need to work on strengthening my hair without protein overload and losing a minimal amount of hair when I detangle. I'm going to add a mid week co-wash to the regimen as my hair loves co-washes and I think it would benefit from them, I'm try to keep manipulation in between to a minimum. I am roughly 3-4 inches away from MBL.

I need to work on strengthening my hair without protein overload and losing a minimal amount of hair when I detangle. I'm going to add a mid week co-wash to the regimen as my hair loves co-washes and I think it would benefit from them, I'm try to keep manipulation in between to a minimum. I am roughly 3-4 inches away from MBL.

Cosign with losing the least amount of hair while detangling. I'm convinced that I lost hair unnecessarily the last time I detangled. I am so careful while I detangle but always lose hella hair. I used to think ladies who spent a super long time detangling were crazy but now I get it … if you find the secret, please share it with ya girl. P.S. I hope the extra cowash helps you.

Currently hennaing .... took about 500 g
I'll keep it in over night and cowash it out in the morning.
And apply indigo... trying this out instead of chemical dyes.
Trying to keep my hair in a high bun until April 1st. For the most retention as possible.
I kind of want to be MBL by then so consistency and determination are key.

Bumping for all the future MBL ladies (including myself) and for this relaxer that I am getting in 23 days:lol:

Still in these twists. I think I'm going to curl the ends again and oil my scalp tonight. Not even a week and its itchy, so I'll use my tea tree oil tonight.

How are the future MBL ladies doing? Is everyone sticking to their MBL game plan? Im not:perplexed. I'm super lazy because I am ready to go on R&R. Anyway, I think I will DC tonight and workout in the morning for a little extra self heat.

Checking in, so far so good. Breakage has stopped and moisture is back. I'm posting the notes I keep for myself in case the content or style helps others. This is how I keep myself honest with results (and remember what didn't work)

Start (things I've started within the last 2/3 weeks)
- using a LIGHT hand for moisturizing and sealing with the LOCO method
- using nexxus emergencee (or MT) once a month only
- using the back of a comb to smooth new growth when relaxing
- co-washing at least 2x a week
- prepooing with coconut oil (1 hour) then applying DC over it overnight or with heat
- clarifying once a month before henna treatment
- using indigo every 3 months only (it dries your hair!)

Stop
- using so many different products....
- using products with lots of cones
- using multiple products with protein in them the same day/week
- using products high in AVJ
- using MegaTek on my ends once a week
- detangling with anything other than your fingers

Continue
- using coconut oil to detangle ( let it sit first)
- air drying or drying under the bonnet dryer
- using very little leave in and oil after washing
- moisturizing and sealing daily
- using steam rollers to infuse moisture and quick styling
- Bunning and french braid styles
- deep conditioning with heat or overnight
- using moisture rich products
- using products high in cermacides
- using a cone and protein free deep conditioner and for regular co-washing
- using a cone and protein free leave in

Checking in! Here's my update! Even though we're only a few days into the new year, I'm ridiculously proud that I haven't slacked off! I'm usually REALLY REALLY bad at keeping up with vitamins and drinking lots of water, but so far so good!

I went from occasionally drinking a bottle of water a day to 4 small bottles (500mL each). I can already see and feel the difference in my skin, which was always horribly dry (gee, I wonder why...)

I've kept up with my moisturizing/DC/cowash/sulphur concoction schedule, just moved some things around to suit me and my hair better. I love S-Curl! Had I been using it regularly since I first discovered it, I coulda been floor length!! It singlehandedly got me to APL, but I stopped using it when I wore my hair out (which was all the time).

Oh, I'm also in the No Heat challenge, my goal is to NOT CHEAT and not see my flat-ironist until the end of the year. Hopefully she doesn't pick up and move between now and then!

With just getting back into the sulphur challenge and the MSM, it's too early to tell if it's changed my texture. My last relaxer was in September (!!!), so I know I'm going to have to texlax again pretty soon. My hair feels really soft, but it could be from anything that I'm doing.

Seamless combs were ordered, still haven't arrived. So sad, I was hoping to use them for this weekend's wash day. :(

Haven't started working out yet, though. :( I have two active dogs and we go on walks multiple times daily, but it's so cold that we don't spend a lot of time out there.

How are the future MBL ladies doing? Is everyone sticking to their MBL game plan? Im not:perplexed. I'm super lazy because I am ready to go on R&R. Anyway, I think I will DC tonight and workout in the morning for a little extra self heat.

I am definitely. I ended up stretching this relaxer to 12 weeks which is next week for me. I'm too excited!! Eager to relax only because I'm ready to length check. My hair is doing really well with m & s daily and either bunning or French braided in a wig. I've even enjoyed rollersets. I am honestly ps'ing my way to MBL and beyond. Took out my trusty measuring tape to see where I'll be by fall if this kind of retention upholds. I've been doing well with my vitamins and my workouts. Im ready I want this!

That is AWESOME!!! I am almost done with a 20 week stretch (not by choice) and doing the lenth check in a few weeks is the only thing that is keeping me motivated right now. I hope in Feb I will be back in it full swing. At the rate your going you will be MBL in no time:yep:.

I am definitely. I ended up stretching this relaxer to 12 weeks which is next week for me. I'm too excited!! Eager to relax only because I'm ready to length check. My hair is doing really well with m & s daily and either bunning or French braided in a wig. I've even enjoyed rollersets. I am honestly ps'ing my way to MBL and beyond. Took out my trusty measuring tape to see where I'll be by fall if this kind of retention upholds. I've been doing well with my vitamins and my workouts. Im ready I want this!

Haven't posted in a while because I suspect I won't be able to make my goal of MBL this year. Oh well, enough crying in my henna! My 6-month stretch ends in 8 days and then bring on the CC! I'll post a length check after my touch up.

i think i might not make it 12 weeks. i am just going to go ahead and relax some time next weekend. i am not going to risk getting a bunch of breakage to prove a point to nobody. i'm going to put my appt in with my mom now. i don't want her to claim that tired crap on me! :lol:

Cattypus1 said:
Haven't posted in a while because I suspect I won't be able to make my goal of MBL this year. Oh well, enough crying in my henna! My 6-month stretch ends in 8 days and then bring on the CC! I'll post a length check after my touch up.

It's only 11 days into 2013! Your hair my surprise you. You have to go ahead and claim it. I am the worst with sticking to my regi but when I do remember M&S or DC I always say I will be MBL by the end of the year....sorta like speaking it into existence. That also makes me work harder at doing wants necessary on my part.

Sorry for the late check-in. Here's my current length.

Attachments

• Photo on 1-12-13 at 12.36 PM.jpg
    Photo on 1-12-13 at 12.36 PM.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Cattypus1 You still got pretty much a whole year of growing to do and after your 6 month stretch, I bet you will have had some serious growth :yep:, stay positive you can do it.

Last edited:
Sunday is wash day this weekend, I'm going to dust my ends too. I'm waiting for a few weeks till I'm about 8-9 weeks post to start wearing wigs again, until then, I will continue to bun.

This thread makes me anxious for MBL. Considering going back to cowashing every other day. My hair liked it and so did I. Only issue is it takes almost that long for my hair to dry (wet bunning) but well see how she feels about it.oh and I think that helped with my growth. Or maybe just cause it was summer...

Really trying to hit this MBL mark by the end of this year! Last year I bunned a lot. This year I'm trying more hiding my hair, which is kinda hard to get used to because I'm used to having my hair out.

Ladies, how long should I wait between braid installations?

That is AWESOME!!! I am almost done with a 20 week stretch (not by choice) and doing the lenth check in a few weeks is the only thing that is keeping me motivated right now. I hope in Feb I will be back in it full swing. At the rate your going you will be MBL in no time:yep:.

Please share what's helping you to stretch your relaxer. For me it seems to be parting and spraying S-curl on the newgrowth then putting oil on the scalp and massaging it in. I detangle with Wen and olive oil. No breakage and minimal shedding.

Do you condition your roots?

Flat ironed my hair and going to wear it for as long as I can while bunning. Then I am back to twists in bun or damp bunning.

Please share what's helping you to stretch your relaxer. For me it seems to be parting and spraying S-curl on the newgrowth then putting oil on the scalp and massaging it in. I detangle with Wen and olive oil. No breakage and minimal shedding.

Do you condition your roots?

This is actually my first 20 week stretch. So I am learning as I go. What has helped me is very low manipulation. I only detangle once every week or so. I have had my hair in a bun every day since Sept 2012. But I will cowash twice a week and DC once a week. Before I do either, I let the water run over my hair and open it up for a while to get the new growth wet and then I will cowash or wash. When I do detangle, I detangle in the shower with running water. HELTR is the best thing that has ever happened to my hair. I put this on my hair (in two to four sections) and then I let it sit while I shower and detangle my hair under running water. It works like perfectly every time.

Attachments

• conditioner.jpg
    conditioner.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 27
DC overnight with EVCO and Tresemme Naturals, let air dry loose for about 90 min, did a small S&D, LOCO'd and now it's up in a messy bun. I need to do this at least 2x a week. Wednesday I'll do the same thing only with AORM. Determined to get to MBL this year!

Almost over these twists, but I think I'll leave them in at least until the end of the month... Then I have to figure something else out!

I have yet to wash my hair though... I should probably do that...

Back