Maxiglide: Yay or Nay?

Maxiglide - Yay or Nay?

• Yay! I love it!

Votes: 90 29.9%
  • Nay! It's terrible and I wish I never used it.

Votes: 39 13.0%
  • I've never used a Maxiglide flat iron, but I want to.

Votes: 114 37.9%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 58 19.3%

• Total voters
The MG did NOT get my hair straight to my liking. It took blowdrying and a LOT of product to get it barely straight, and I hated that.

It is kind of bulky, but that didn't bother me...it was just the fact that no matter the setting, my hair wasn't having it. :ohwell:

I sold it to a lady here and purchased another iron that I've been very happy with. :D

I love mine and I use it on a setting of 1 or 2 with only one pass needed to get my hair straight and shiny. I make my sections wide but thin and it helps me get closer to the root to straighten it. I'm almost 10 weeks post. I've had mine for about 2 years with no problem. I used it this weekend after not using direct heat since July 06. Worked just fine for me.

I been longing to get a Maxiglide for about a year cause i m tired of my cheap curling iron that i use cause it kinda burns my hair even though it reverts back (Thank God:eek: ). I almost purchased one yesterday online; i chickened a bit when i learn they're not 100% ceramic but just coated so i was scared of what happens a year later when the coating is gone; and i was not sure how well it would work on 4b natural thick hair with the teeth:( i purchased a Sedu instead based on the reviews on folica:D Cant wait to try it it was really hard so many irons FHI Limited and Jilbere de paris and tourmaline 3 were strong contenders but the last one is too expensive.:( i keep you guys posted:p ;) :D

I'm not having much luck with the Maxiglide :( . I've used it twice (once with teeth and once with the flat plate) and to no avail my hair just didn't look straight or shiny. I don't like the fact that it pulls out tiny pieces of hair and that it's so bulky and hard to get to the roots. I even pressed my hair first, then blow dried with a comb attachment and it still didn't look too nice. I might just give it one last try and either sell it or give it to one of my sisters.

For now, I'm sticking to my beloved Solia!!!!

I got the Maxiglide on Friday and must say I really like it. It got my roots crazy straight, mostly b/c u can get real close to the scalp w/o it burning you. Mind you my cousin was doing it for me cause I'm too clumsy on my own.

My only complaint was that my ends didn't come out right. I don't know what I did wrong there, but they were lookin frizzy. I'm thinking it was either they dye or that I needed a trim or that I needed a new technique...probably all three. BUT that maxiglide got my hair silky up until it hit the colored parts on setting one, so yea its a keeper for the rare times I decided to straighten

I don't know if I responded in here since I bought mine..if I did, forgive me. That darn Maxiglide is making it hard for me to protective style. I love love love it. When I first used it, I was squeezing it too hard then I got the hang of it! I use the steam feature which actually made my jagged ends look normal...

JustMeSteph said:
I don't know if I responded in here since I bought mine..if I did, forgive me. That darn Maxiglide is making it hard for me to protective style. I love love love it. When I first used it, I was squeezing it too hard then I got the hang of it! I use the steam feature which actually made my jagged ends look normal...

I'm having the same problem. I'm still getting used to using my Maxiglide but I'm loving the way my hair feels after I'm finished. With more practice I'm sure I'll get better at it.

And I know its about to get worse because I emailed the company out of curiosity and asked if they had plans for any other products - like a steam curling iron. They replied yes and that it would be out late 2007. :ohwell:

sylver2 said:
I absolutely LOVE and am INLOVE with my Maxiglide. I always use the teeth. Just make sure your hair is detangle and combed thru first b4 u use the teeth.
I am 20 weeks post relaxer right now and looks like I got a touchup
I Highly recommend it. That steam button is the truth!!

Maziglide is the truth. I use it with and without the teeth. I also have a chi... hands down Maxi gets my 4 a/b thick and nappy head...

sylver2 said:
Your hair is looking so pretty:-)

With the teeth..u are not suppose to press together real hard. Make sure the plates don't actually touch your hair and the teeth will glide right thru with no hard pressing. Its not like a regular flat iron where u have to press both plates together. The heat and steam actually straghten your hair moreso then the iron itself. Thats why I love it, the plates never touch my hair like all the other irons.

Sylver that is the key. I am so heavy handed that I press to hard and loose hair. I watched the dvd again and by the time I had figured that out I was almost done.

I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for a decent price- but I didnt like it. It puled my hair out as well. I'll stick with my Chi.

Make sure when pulling the Maxiglide through you do not further clamp the teeth plates together. Simply close them (not hard like you would w/ a normal flat iron) and slowly and deliberately pull it down the shaft of the hair.

I found people reported it pulled when they were clamping the plates shut which should not be done b/c it adds additional stress to the hair.

healthyhairin07 said:
I just used the maxiglide about 30 minutes ago and I'm completely disappointed. :( I agree that it is bulky, which makes it hard to handle, and it's hard to get the roots straight.

My hair is completely natural and somewhat coarse (it was pressed in the avatar), so the teeth pulled several strands of my hair out no matter how much I combed it beforehand.

Make sure that if you buy this product, keep your receipt and keep it on a setting of less than 3 since it gets very hot. I kept it on 1 and that was hot. I think this product should only be using by those who have hair that is strong enough to take that type of manipulation.

I love my maxiglide: i find that it gives me hair lots of bounce & because it uses steam from water to help straighten the hair "it forces me not to use a ton of products" which keeps my bounce: its also helpful to not only follow the directions but to detangle ur hair first w/ a comb: the maxi isn't a magic wond so detangling that section first allows the maxi to glide thru. I have coily/curly new growth so flat ironing doesn't straighten them: I in turn have flat coils: maxi straightens them out safely: and I never here sizzles too: yay:

I've had for about 2 years. I used it for the 2st time about 3 weeks ago and loved it. I was a afriad to really go for a straight straight look(no heat for 2years), but it came about even better than expected. For natural hair- I thought it did a wonderful job for both my hair and mother(who has very thick/long hair- my hair is much more fine).....

My hair didnt feel or look dry and maybe about 2 hairs lost. I will definitely be added this to my regimen once I let my hair out come Sept.

i usually wear my hair in twists or braids, but i want to learn how to safely heat style my hair on occassion. i used the miniglide on a test section of hair and got great results.:D i've never been able to get my hair that silky-smooth, straight and soft on my own. i probably won't try doing my full head until my hair grows out some more, but's it's nice to know that i've found something that really works. i even took some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9806276@N02/sets/72157600719513639/

i'm currently in yarn braids, so i undid two sections, i wet my hair. applied plenty of heat protectant & blow-dried with a comb attachment. then i went over my hair in small sections (1 in x .5 in) and it came out relaxer straight root to tips. i was very impressed. i'm lovin' more & more the versatility of natural hair. :lol: the miniglide is a definite keeper. now i just wanna try out the solia or sedu to see if it's as good. hhg

Last edited:
whoa you wet your hair and then used the maxiglie on it? I have always wondered if you could do that...

tkj25 said:
i usually wear my hair in twists or braids, but i want to learn how to safely heat style my hair on occassion. i used the miniglide on a test section of hair and got great results.:D i've never been able to get my hair that silky-smooth, straight and soft on my own. i probably won't try doing my full head until my hair grows out some more, but's it's nice to know that i've found something that really works. i even took some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9806276@N02/sets/72157600719513639/

i'm currently in yarn braids, so i undid two sections, i wet my hair. applied plenty of heat protectant & blow-dried with a comb attachment. then i went over my hair in small sections (1 in x .5 in) and it came out relaxer straight root to tips. i was very impressed. i'm lovin' more & more the versatility of natural hair. :lol: the miniglide is a definite keeper. now i just wanna try out the solia or sedu to see if it's as good. hhg

looks like she wet it, blowdried then used the miniglide.

JustMeSteph said:
whoa you wet your hair and then used the maxiglie on it? I have always wondered if you could do that...

I have had my Maxi Glide for three or four weeks. I ordered it from HSN and I decided to try it out so I could send it back within 30 days if I did not get good results. Last week, I flat-ironed three large sections of hair with three different solutions -- Silk Result, Smooth and Straight Hair Polish and Organix Vanilla Silk serum. I used the teeth on a low setting and my technique was horrible. However, my hair came out beautifully. It has been a week now and I am still in shock as to how silky, shiny, straight, smooth my hair came out. My titanium flat iron always straightened my hair well except the ends. The MG straightened my ends so well that I am not even sure I have splits ends. I thought I had a lot of them because my ends were so frizzy with the other flat iron. I told my mom yesterday that if the doggone thing broke today, I would be in the store buying another one tomorrow. That is how good my results were last week.

Update report.

I'm still loving mine. Things got even better with practice. However, I think my steam burst thing is clogged up. I'm getting nothing out of it. I think though that is because of water misuse. (I should've stuck with distilled.) I'm going to email the company and ask about fixing it.

Another thing I have to report is that their customer service is pretty great. A few weeks ago I realized I'd lost my flat plate. I checked their website, but they didn't have an area for replacement parts orders. So I emailed the company to ask about pricing for a replacement. They sent me a new one for free! I thought that was pretty cool.

Can't wait for the curling iron to come out.

when you find out please let us know my steamer is clogged too.

Laginappe said:
Update report.

I'm still loving mine. Things got even better with practice. However, I think my steam burst thing is clogged up. I'm getting nothing out of it. I think though that is because of water misuse. (I should've stuck with distilled.) I'm going to email the company and ask about fixing it.

Another thing I have to report is that their customer service is pretty great. A few weeks ago I realized I'd lost my flat plate. I checked their website, but they didn't have an area for replacement parts orders. So I emailed the company to ask about pricing for a replacement. They sent me a new one for free! I thought that was pretty cool.

Can't wait for the curling iron to come out.

yeah this iron gets my ends sleek and no other iron (neither chi nor sedu) does that.

adw425 said:
I have had my Maxi Glide for three or four weeks. I ordered it from HSN and I decided to try it out so I could send it back within 30 days if I did not get good results. Last week, I flat-ironed three large sections of hair with three different solutions -- Silk Result, Smooth and Straight Hair Polish and Organix Vanilla Silk serum. I used the teeth on a low setting and my technique was horrible. However, my hair came out beautifully. It has been a week now and I am still in shock as to how silky, shiny, straight, smooth my hair came out. My titanium flat iron always straightened my hair well except the ends. The MG straightened my ends so well that I am not even sure I have splits ends. I thought I had a lot of them because my ends were so frizzy with the other flat iron. I told my mom yesterday that if the doggone thing broke today, I would be in the store buying another one tomorrow. That is how good my results were last week.

ITA curleedst. I used it on my whole head this weekend, and it straightened without my hair feeling dry afterwards. If it wasn't so darn hot it would've stayed like that for longer, without the need for a touchup. BUt I do love it. I think I'll try it again when it cools down, and I can wear it out.

Exactly - the maxiglide will be good to use during winter when you may not want to wet your hair daily and there is limited humidity so it won't revert. I especially love the steam blast! That seems to seal the deal and make the hair feel very moisturized! At least my hair and it also gets my ends sleek. No other flat iron can do that (eventhough the other irons do weigh less my arms do not get tired). I also now use it on my daughter's hair but on a low setting. It helps me comb through her hair much better and she loves it b/c there are no more ouchies when mommy does her hair!

I love the maxiglide also. You don't have to be going over the same section over and over. Its big but it gets the job done.

I won't say yay or nay! I've had two and my reasons for selling it was an individual decision. I didn't like the bulkiness of the maxiglide. I have small hands so it was too big for me to manage. I love my corioliss though! If it wasn't so bulky, I'm sure I would have liked the maxiglide.

Back