Marvin speaks again ---- more tips....

vevster

My appt. is next week but here are the highlights from when my cousin Gina went.

- Her hair is a 3a and she has a LOT of volume(bushy comes to mind)

- Mavin said her hair was damaged due to being underprocessed. She has to return and get a touch up/pull through.

- She must never leave hair dry: you have to put oil or hair dressing. When he sees her again he will recommend.

- He said Cholesterol wasn't the best cond. for her hair he recced ORS Hair Mayonnaise.

- He wanted her to use alberto VO5 Hot Oil treatment. This is prob his basic recipe-- the hotoil alternating w/ the hair mayo.

My cousin complained of dandruff: he said alot of times this is due to not rinsing product thoroughly. He said if you try more rinsing and it doesn't work try Neutrogena T Gel Shampoo.

- Never go to bed w/ hair loose: either wrap it or roller set it.

- She said she couldn’t wrap her hair and he…recced her to get a paddle brush

- With her hair texture she has to have a trim every six weeks this is a must!!!

- What he did was washed her hair, conditioned and set it-- then he put her under the dryer.
He put a serum on wrapped it put her under the dryer for 15 minutes...
Her hair came out shiny and healthy looking and she was very pleased.

Wow, I'm glad Marvin's working for you ladies.....REMEMBER i NEED My Free Hot Oil Treatment lol......Everyone see marvin haha. j/k

Okay I hope no one takes this the wrong way but..... is everyone who goes there going to be told that there hair is underprocessed or overprocessed? If anyone goes to Marvin and is not told this can you pleae share with us?

I want to go to him in January but I'm a littke apprehensive. I know my hair's not the greatest but I sure don't wnat anyone "confirming" for me how jacked up my hair really is. It may be better to think that it's alll in your mind and that you're being harsh on yourself. So, I may go there and pay $100 bucks to be told my hair is jacked and officially knowing that my hair is jacked up.

Well, anyways...I hope I'm wrong and that I come back singing his praises and that he finds my hair as just being dry or soemthing but not over/under processed.

Which is worse by the way---underprocessed or overprocessed?

Well, my cousin was having her stepdaughter do the relaxer for her so... He also showed her what he meant. He said that when your hair isn't straight and you treat it as if it is that is when you get damage.

I for one want to know what is wrong w/ my hair and get it fixed! That is the first step to recovery /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Not me becasue I'm thinking whatever is wrong with my hair probably applies to all of my hair and then I'd have to start all over......oh my goodness.....if that were the case...I'd probably just cut it off and go natural.

I don't even want to think about it. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I like for my hair to get STRAIGHT when getting a relaxer touch up but really and truthfully "they " say that you really shouldn't get it bone straight when relaxing anyway...

Just 2 Centsing

Hi vevster!

I must say that I am confused about Marvin's rec for the use of Neutrogena T/Gel on relaxed hair. At the rec of a dermatologist I used this product for a dandruff problem.When my stylist rinsed it from my hair she was shocked as to how much hair was just going down the drain! I lost length and thickness. I went to another dermatologist who told me this product is not for A/A hair which has been chemically altered. Please, use this product with caution. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Daviine IMO I'd say overprocessed hair was more damaging. It's easier to correct underprocessing by doing a pull through with a relaxer than try to reverse the damaged after being overprocessed.

I was surprised also-- I heard that those sulfur shampoos dissolve relaxed hair.. well, I don't really have dandruff, soo....

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
With her hair texture she has to have a trim every six weeks this is a must!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why he said this. I've never heard of one needing a trim every six weeks because of their hair texture. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Daviine: I am TRULY overprocessed and he showed me. When it was time to wet set the edges of the left side were puffy like a bad perm while the rest of the hair was smooth and silky. It even see this everyday. When I get stuck in the rain that one side poofs up while the rest of my hair is ok. I thought he was going to tell me to chop it off but he said the least drastic thing to do would be to wait for them to grow out and eliminate them with trims.

Marvin said he trims every 6 weeks taking off a little less than 1/8 of an inch. He told me my hair automatically splits after a certain period of time. And I told him how I protect it and he said it still does. He compared it to jeans. Even though you may wash and wear jeans for 6 weeks and not see damage, look closely and they start to fray. Plus when he trimmed my hair I didn't notice any decrease in length but increase b/c of newgrowth.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I like for my hair to get STRAIGHT when getting a relaxer touch up but really and truthfully "they " say that you really shouldn't get it bone straight when relaxing anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought. I have been trying to grow out my bone straight hair and now it's wrong? Which is right? I thought it was better to underprocess so that the hair shaft was damaged less. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

********DISCLAIMER***************

I just posted these tips so that they might help someone.. Plus, they were specific to my cousin's hair. As we know, not every bit of advice or product works for everyone..

Cheers!
Gen

Marvin said he trims every 6 weeks taking off a little less than 1/8 of an inch. He told me my hair automatically splits after a certain period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what I like about this guy? He seems to give reasons for everything he tells you and backs it up in a way that you understand. As we all know many stylists are scissor happy just for the sheer hell of it, he takes the time out to explain things and why he does them.

It's a shame a lot of other stylists don't practice some of the things this guy teaches.

Back