Making it from SL to APL. Its so hard!!!

How did you get from SL to APL?

• Total voters
I am also in the same boat. I do monthly sew-ins, no heat, strecth relaxers every 6 months, and only trim with relaxers. I just started my journey in Jun07 so its been 10 months and I am like a lil past SL coming from EL. I really wanna get to APL by the end of this year, that will be giving me 18 months in total, I hope and pray that I can do it! But you will get there so dont stress over it hun, that will just make you lose hair.:nono:

I used wigs and falls to get to APL and now that I am, I've changed my protective style to braids now to get to BSL. I am currently using the C & Glory method of caring for my hair and incorporating some ayurveda and henna hair care in between braid ups.

I'm anticipate hitting APL between July- Nov 2008. This allows room for any setbacks that may happen. I decided that I'm going to weave it or kinky twist it until then. It also makes the transitioning process much easier.

Well I am at neck length trying to get to shoulder lenght and have my hair pinned up everyday, but with the ends out. Maybe a solution for those of us that don't completely hide the ends would be to moisturize mid day. Just take your moisturizer with you to work and around 2pm, go in the bathroom, moisturize ends and pin the hair back up.. That way any moisture lost due to the air would be replenished..
Also, if you don't wear your hair in a bun, does anyone have pictures of alternate hairstyles that will allow you to seal the ends but wear in another style? (other than a bun) I can't really get my hair into a bun and sometimes my edged don't cooperate so buns look crazy neway.

What I did was push my relaxers to at least 12-14 weeks.
I did and still do a lot of protective hair styles for my hair.
I wash and deep condtion and pre-poo once a week!
I get my ends Dusted every time I relax b/c they are healthy I am current a little past APL just on the Top of my bra. My goal is 12-31-08 to be fully at BSL and 12-31-12, I want to be MBL!:yep:

I've got about 4 inches to APL. That is my goal. Anything extra is great.

I am seeing progress but I don't like sticky, greasy ends so I am trying to find a good product to put on my ends that will keep them nice.

I am in the same boat. it is so frustrating! First I thought i would be APL by 12/07, then by 03/08 but nope, im still stuck between SL and APL...now im just trying to focus on anything but my hair and hoping im surprised at my next touchup in june. :ohwell:

oooh I love your hair so cute. :yep: I am hoping protective styles and low manipulation will assist me in this goal

Last edited:
This is exactly where I am!! I got kinky twists and I think that set me back a little b/c I had to really get a good trim/cut for my ends after wearing them. But I feel like if I made it from ear length to collarbone lenghth...I can do this too. So I need to get back on the hair vitamins and stay in the weaves and braids and hopefully I'll be there by December!!

I definitely felt discouraged sometimes when I'd look in the mirror and see that my SL hair didn't seem to budge anywhere near APL. However, what got me over the hump was ::gasp:: a couple of good trims and protective styling and proper moisturizing. Although the trims set my APL date back a couple of months, it was well worth it.

This was May 9

100_1351-1.jpg

And this was May 31

JuneUpdate-1.jpg

I'm going to assume I'm pretty much APL at this point (will do a length check the first week of August). When you have days where you just feel like it'll take forever to reach APL, just "leave your hair alone" and also concentrate on your overall health.

This is exactly where I am!! I got kinky twists and I think that set me back a little b/c I had to really get a good trim/cut for my ends after wearing them. But I feel like if I made it from ear length to collarbone lenghth...I can do this too. So I need to get back on the hair vitamins and stay in the weaves and braids and hopefully I'll be there by December!!

Its the hardest thing to achieve. I was hoping a 6 month stretch would get me there and a whole lot of co washing and protective styling. but I think im a few inches shy. I hope by September.

I am in the same boat. it is so frustrating! First I thought i would be APL by 12/07, then by 03/08 but nope, im still stuck between SL and APL...now im just trying to focus on anything but my hair and hoping im surprised at my next touchup in june. :ohwell:

You sound like me. It's been two years and I don't know what's wrong. I've even lessened the amount of heat I use and still no major progress. I had a set back due to a hair stylist last fall, but I've recovered pretty well. This has got to be my year to reach APL. I'm close.....reaaaaallll close. I try not to think about it too much and focus on other things. You know what tey say: "A watched pot never boils".

It's funny how ear to neck, and neck to shoulder lengths were a breeze for me. I used to cut my hair to neck length just for kicks and be back at a healthy shoulder length in 3 months. APL is a mutha!

Also ladies, can anyone suggest a good everyday hair moisturizer? Do you ever switch up your moisturizer during the week? I have been using BB oil moisturizer, ORS olive oil moisturizer (in the bottle), and Pantene relaxed and natural moisturizer. None of these are particularly great, though I have been using the ORS most of all just because it has a good balance of not being too heavy for everyday wear but also seems to give me enough moisture at the same time. I'm still looking for THE ONE though.

I went thru the same thing.. trying to find the perfect moisturizer. I have all the ones you mentioned above BUT so far my favorite is Elasta QP oil recovery. Hope that helps

I definitely felt discouraged sometimes when I'd look in the mirror and see that my SL hair didn't seem to budge anywhere near APL. However, what got me over the hump was ::gasp:: a couple of good trims and protective styling and proper moisturizing. Although the trims set my APL date back a couple of months, it was well worth it.

This was May 9

100_1351-1.jpg

And this was May 31

JuneUpdate-1.jpg

I'm going to assume I'm pretty much APL at this point (will do a length check the first week of August). When you have days where you just feel like it'll take forever to reach APL, just "leave your hair alone" and also concentrate on your overall health.

That is awesome! I need to know what you did!

That is awesome! I need to know what you did!

Firstly I stopped jumping on every single bandwagon that came along :lachen:. It really is true about going with what you KNOW works for your hair. It's okay to switch it up every now and then or to try a new product, but don't let PJism or bandwagonism get the better of you.

I stayed away from:
- too much manipulation
- heat

I know it sounds cooky, but "listening" to your hair is very important. It helped me realize:
- my hair doesn't like too much protein
- it loves moisture
- it's better to use 2-3 good products instead of slapping on 7 :spinning:

My regimen was:
- cowash 4-5x/week
- deep condition 1-2x/week
- shampoo 1-2x/week
- apply BT every other day
- moisturize and seal daily, sometimes twice a day (esp. on my ends)
- when I felt like it (or needed it) went to my trusted hairstylist

My protective styles were:
- yes, the boring bun, but I started getting creative with them!
- updo's with hair zings and other hair accessories
- when I wanted to look nice but didn't want to use heat, I'd do a braid out

Supplements, etc:
- I just had a baby in January so I've been (and will continue) taking prenatals
- I also take fish oil/borage oil (the pill)
- I drink lots of water, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, and maintain a healthy diet (mainly b/c I'm still losing that darn baby weight!!! :lachen:)

During mid-June I had cornrows put in and wore them for almost 3 weeks. I moisturized with braid spray and used BT every other day. When I took out the cornrows this month, my hair was noticeably thicker. I also started using MN this month (made my own mix) and don't plan to length check or straighten my hair until August (Aug. 7 is my wedding anniversary). I will definitely post comparison pics :yep:.

I had to think long and hard on this, and to be honest, it took me almost 2 years to get get from SL to APL. To be fair, I did not limit my trims, I gave my stylist free rein with the scissors until last year when I got serious about growing out my hair. It was a long hard battle but I made it. :grin:

I didn't stick with any one of the choices in particular, but I have started stretching and I only use direct heat when I get highlights or relaxer touch ups. :yep: I tried protective styling but I wasn't consistent with it.:ohwell: Primarily I wet set, but this summer I am on the CW challenge and I hope to make BSL by the end of the year. It's slow but steady.

You sound like me. It's been two years and I don't know what's wrong. I've even lessened the amount of heat I use and still no major progress. I had a set back due to a hair stylist last fall, but I've recovered pretty well. This has got to be my year to reach APL. I'm close.....reaaaaallll close. I try not to think about it too much and focus on other things. You know what tey say: "A watched pot never boils".

You look like you are either already there or veeeeeery close. :yep:

Firstly I stopped jumping on every single bandwagon that came along :lachen:. It really is true about going with what you KNOW works for your hair. It's okay to switch it up every now and then or to try a new product, but don't let PJism or bandwagonism get the better of you.

I know it sounds cooky, but "listening" to your hair is very important. It helped me realize:
- my hair doesn't like too much protein
- it loves moisture
- it's better to use 2-3 good products instead of slapping on 7 :spinning:

Right! :lachen:

OMG this thread was made with me in mind, my hair was just past shoulder and i was soooo excited then yep, nothing. I'm still on course for my goal of APL in December:pray: but hiding in full weaves till then don't know how else to do it. :fairy:

It was a combination of things. I
stopped trimming
bunned 99% of the time
Moisturize like mad and seal ends with oil
stretched for 14-16 weeks (then...I now stretch for maybe 10-12 weeks)

I voted for the combination. I did frequent washing and bunning to keep the ends moisturized and protected (no heat). I also did a long stretch of about 4-5 months! FOr the last month I also used Sulu Max in that last month and it gave me a lil push. You can see the progress in my 2007 fotki folder.

I clicked on protective styling before I read A Combination of several - I do protective styling, streatch relaxers 12 weeks, and no trim.

ETA: Also no heat except relaxer day.

Last edited:

This was May 9

100_1351-1.jpg

And this was May 31

JuneUpdate-1.jpg

your saying these two pictures were taken in the same month?! ... if so, what is your regi? bcuz that is great growth!!

your saying these two pictures were taken in the same month?! ... if so, what is your regi? bcuz that is great growth!!

Yes, these were both from May of this year. The first pic was right after a trim I received. If you go back and check out post #47, you'll see my regimen listed. Also, in my siggy I have my updated regimen which I started this month.

I had to think long and hard on this, and to be honest, it took me almost 2 years to get get from SL to APL. To be fair, I did not limit my trims, I gave my stylist free rein with the scissors until last year when I got serious about growing out my hair. It was a long hard battle but I made it. :grin:

I didn't stick with any one of the choices in particular, but I have started stretching and I only use direct heat when I get highlights or relaxer touch ups. :yep: I tried protective styling but I wasn't consistent with it.:ohwell: Primarily I wet set, but this summer I am on the CW challenge and I hope to make BSL by the end of the year. It's slow but steady.

so your relaxed? .. as far as cW challange.. what do you do to ur hair once ur done washing? wear it wet? in a pony? if i did cowashes i wouldnt know what to do with my hair every time?

so your relaxed? .. as far as cW challange.. what do you do to ur hair once ur done washing? wear it wet? in a pony? if i did cowashes i wouldnt know what to do with my hair every time?

Yes, I am relaxed. :yep: I CW 3 - 4 times a week and I mainly wear a loosely twisted bun, usually with a silky scarf tied around my edges. I do a wash n go every couple weeks or so, but I don't like them long term - they seem drying and encourage my hair to tangle.

I know I'm not APL in my avi but that was taken last November. I plan on doing some updates in a month when I get my next touch up.

am i the only one who finds this thread a little discouraging...I mean I didn't know it was so hard for so many people to make it to APL. When I look in the mirror at my hair I get happy like " Yea APL here I come" but now I'm just like what if I don't make it or if it takes forever.

I already know I wanna get a trim ASAP because I have broken off hairs and uneveness but I am still satisfied with the way my hair is growing. Maybe it's just me but this thread just put a lil damper on my hair journey.

am i the only one who finds this thread a little discouraging...I mean I didn't know it was so hard for so many people to make it to APL. When I look in the mirror at my hair I get happy like " Yea APL here I come" but now I'm just like what if I don't make it or if it takes forever.

I already know I wanna get a trim ASAP because I have broken off hairs and uneveness but I am still satisfied with the way my hair is growing. Maybe it's just me but this thread just put a lil damper on my hair journey.

Awww, don't feel that way! A few months ago I was all up in the APL threads trying to figure out how to help push my hair past shoulder :yep:. As many of the other ladies noted, it's a combination of things that contributed to their reaching APL. Also, it's important to remember that technically your hair is always "growing," so what you need to focus on is retention. Once I stopped messing around with my hair, with products that it didn't like, manipulation, breakage, etc. I was better able to retain length. I thought I would be APL by Dec 07 and then by March 08, but it didn't happen until now (June/July).

Back