Make your Haters your Motivators!!!!!

missty1029

So last night I was walking to my sister about my upcoming visit to NY. I expressed how they will get to see me before I transform into the new me! I said im gunning to lose this extra weight and grow out my hair like Alicia Keys. So being the hater she is she says to me" the only thing you have in common with Alicia Keys is you both got a white mommy and a black daddy thats it! No one has hair like Alicia Keys!!!" I wanted to slap her!!!!
But I decided that I would show her otherwise. So now every time I get lazy or discouraged with my hair I will think about her hatin tellin me I could never have hair like Alicia Keys! Now it may not be the same, but I will get that length! I will I will I will!!!!!
So what is your motivation?
What will keep you pushing forward when you get discouraged???

My only motivator is ME. I am destined to have that toned body I always wanted; hopefully by the end of the year, I slacked off a bit.My hair will be collar bone, healthy bouncy and full by 2009. I could get there sooner but I want it all even, one lenght. I wouln't have it any other way.

What motivates me is the picture in my head of me reaching that place. It's kind of like faith in the things God promises you before its here. Try to believe that this will happen as sure as you dont give a second thought to the sun setting and rising again the next day. Treat your hair like a little princess until she matures into a beautiful queen. Dont worry about your sister, "ye of little fatih" lol. She got something comin for her jaw...it hitting the ground in astonishment when you look like the queen you were meant to be.
Stay encouraged boo!!!

I wish someone would tell me that I can't achieve what I'm setting out for, because that definitely pushes me hardest! Everyone has been very supportive and I'll admit... at times that makes me lax with my goals.

Like with my extra weight, people tell me that I look good because I'm solid and curvaceous, and that's not pushing me the way I need. I'd like to hear I'm fat or something lol. As for my hair, it's growing so no one is saying anything negative about it. So everything is all on me to keep it moving. I don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself really lol

I wish someone would tell me that I can't achieve what I'm setting out for, because that definitely pushes me hardest! Everyone has been very supportive and I'll admit... at times that makes me lax with my goals.

Like with my extra weight, people tell me that I look good because I'm solid and curvaceous, and that's not pushing me the way I need. I'd like to hear I'm fat or something lol. As for my hair, it's growing so no one is saying anything negative about it. So everything is all on me to keep it moving. I don't have anything to prove to anyone but myself really lol

I agree with you, energist!! Everyone is being so positive. I too would like to lose some extra pounds (not TOO much!), but no one is calling me fat or saying that I need to! My BF is actually encouraging me NOT to lose weight and tells me that I shouldn't! That doesn't motivate me at all, so I'm alone on this journey. Same for my hair. He's loving the progress he sees, so it's up to me to continue protecting and moisturizing my hair. :ohwell: It's easier for me to stick to my hair goals, but the exercise and eating right may take a little while longer to get under control...

So last night I was walking to my sister about my upcoming visit to NY. I expressed how they will get to see me before I transform into the new me! I said im gunning to lose this extra weight and grow out my hair like Alicia Keys. So being the hater she is she says to me" the only thing you have in common with Alicia Keys is you both got a white mommy and a black daddy thats it! No one has hair like Alicia Keys!!!" I wanted to slap her!!!!
But I decided that I would show her otherwise. So now every time I get lazy or discouraged with my hair I will think about her hatin tellin me I could never have hair like Alicia Keys! Now it may not be the same, but I will get that length! I will I will I will!!!!!
So what is your motivation?
What will keep you pushing forward when you get discouraged???

You know thats right because if the truth be told alicia keys! doesn't even have hair like alicia keys! Her styles are enhanced with tracks and things for thickness and length. Also yes I know what you mean My fiancee's little sister is ALWAYS hating on me. She got mad at me one time and told me that I didn't even have any hair on my head. I was like astounded that someone in their 20's could be that ignorant and in public too. All I said was uuummm that's because I cut it. That was like a year and a half ago and now my hair is longer than hers!!! 1.5 years and her hair is the exact same length (just above shoulder because she doesn't know anything about protective styling and end maintenance!!!:grin:)!!! To tell you the truth her inaccurate and unkind words were the source of my drive too. Shoot i'll show you who doesn't have any hair on their head and nice hair too, not all broken off and dry!!! Yes now that that's out!!

Girl I hear u on that! Thats why I got so lax about losing the last half of the weight I want to lose...ppl always say "u look good"..."u dont need to lose more weight",etc....when I still have like 30 lbs to go! Im still overweight according to the charts so I have to keep going!

Everyone on this forum motivates me. You ladies have been nothing but the best when it comes to my hair journey and I just can't thank you all enough. :)

My grandmother has a hard time with me being natural, she's the only one in my family who disagrees with it, but the more she trys to embarrass me or humilate the better I become with my decision to be all natural.

Last edited:
What motivates me is the picture in my head of me reaching that place. It's kind of like faith in the things God promises you before its here. Try to believe that this will happen as sure as you dont give a second thought to the sun setting and rising again the next day. Treat your hair like a little princess until she matures into a beautiful queen. Dont worry about your sister, "ye of little fatih" lol. She got something comin for her jaw...it hitting the ground in astonishment when you look like the queen you were meant to be.
Stay encouraged boo!!!

I really like that quote!

one of my friends is my motivator for years she always talks about how bad my hair is. one time she said, "oh i went to that salon but i didnt like them because my hair came out looking like yours":ohwell:, then on sunday she sayd, 'oh thank goodness my daughter doesn't have that bad hair because you know how that is". she is so stuck on that good hair bad hair thing.

she is definitely a motivator. i can't stand how ignorant she is about black hair.

That is a great quote! Thank you!!!!!
People fail to realize what little words can do whether they are good or bad!

And shoot if Alicia needs tracks for thickness I have my own thickness so shoot my hair will be better then hers!!!! Oh let the haters hate! :lachen:

I've even picked a theme song for my hair journey! I changed the words to Can't Tell Me Nothing:

La,la,la,la wait till I get my HAIR just right! :grin:
la, la, la, la then you cant tell me nothing right
Excuse Me, is you saying something?
Uh, uh, you can't tell me nothing
(Haha) you cant tell me nothing
Uh, uh, you cant tell me nothing

You know thats right because if the truth be told alicia keys! doesn't even have hair like alicia keys! Her styles are enhanced with tracks and things for thickness and length. Also yes I know what you mean My fiancee's little sister is ALWAYS hating on me. She got mad at me one time and told me that I didn't even have any hair on my head. I was like astounded that someone in their 20's could be that ignorant and in public too. All I said was uuummm that's because I cut it. That was like a year and a half ago and now my hair is longer than hers!!! 1.5 years and her hair is the exact same length (just above shoulder because she doesn't know anything about protective styling and end maintenance!!!:grin:)!!! To tell you the truth her inaccurate and unkind words were the source of my drive too. Shoot i'll show you who doesn't have any hair on their head and nice hair too, not all broken off and dry!!! Yes now that that's out!!

Get 'em!
OP, I'm sorry your sister feels that way. I'm sure you'll be a sucess story like a lot of the women here on this board.

Get 'em!
OP, I'm sorry your sister feels that way. I'm sure you'll be a sucess story like a lot of the women here on this board.
AWW thanks but dont be sorry. shes just mad she has thinning hair. and its hereditary so I dont know what to tell her. we got different daddies ! :blush:

I've even picked a theme song for my hair journey! I changed the words to Can't Tell Me Nothing:

La,la,la,la wait till I get my HAIR just right! :grin:
la, la, la, la then you cant tell me nothing right
Excuse Me, is you saying something?
Uh, uh, you can't tell me nothing
(Haha) you cant tell me nothing
Uh, uh, you cant tell me nothing

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: This is what I sing to myself when I look in the mirror! No one has been discouraging about my hair, b/c I haven't told anyone my goals. But I've been losing weight and everytime I tell my BF I lost another few lbs he says " Oh, that good!":worried pause: "So....how much are you planning on losing?" HONESTLY - you'd think he'd be happy I want to look my best for him and he's worried about losing his cushion!

It's good to turn negatives into positives. A lot of times I'm spurred to achieve things just because other people said I couldn't. It's my mojo :drunk:. A lot of times people hate and don't even realize they are. They are just used to seeing you one kind of way or think they know you enough to say that you can't do something. And when you prove them wrong, they will become your main congratulators. My personal motivation is to surprise myself and accomplish things I've always wanted to, but never believed I could.

where are MY haters?? :look: I'd like to keep a few of them around for motivation every now and then :rofl:

Back