maintaining your style at nite

applebottom

Do you wrap it...sleep w/ a bonnet on it?

Currently I wrap my hair at night...have been for the past 3-4 years. I was just wondering how everyone else was keeping there hair up at night.

I pincurl my hair and sleep with a satin scarf on it. I also sleep on a satin pillow case in case my scarf slips off. Wrapping my hair was thinning my edges and made my hair too flat.

I use to wrap my hair every night but I stopped when I came to LHCF. I notice that my hair had thinned out alot and this could have been one of the factors. I wrap my hair sometimes but not often. When I 'm wearing it in a bun I put my hair in a loose bun with a scunchie. Then I tie amy hair up with a satin scarf and I sleep on a satin pillow case. If I want a loose look I pincurl my hair.

Since LHCF, I've been wearing a silk or satin scarf, silk oversized bonnet (from tenderheaded.com) and a silk pillowcase. I've been braiding my hair up first before putting on the scarf. I'm practicing Sylver2's method of wearing my hair out with the scarf and bonnet for less manipulation.

I use to braid my hair up at nite then wrap a silk scarf around it...I remember my hair growin so long then. However when I try to braid it at nite now...I hate the way it looks in the morning. I never put Heat in my hair....so I guess Imma stick to wrapin!

If I do my FARS I either wrap it in a silk scarf or I twist sections of my hair and pin them with metal clips and put on my bonnet to save the curls 
Any other time I use a Satin Bonnet – I cant seem to find an oversized one though :sad:

I have stopped wrapping my hair as well after joining LHCF. I have noticed that my sides are growing back in quite nicely (were thin before). Not I put foam satin curlers in at night and put a satin bonnet on. If I don't want to be worried with teh curlers, I just put it in the bonnet with a good bit of oil b/f hand (to keep my ends moist)

I wrap nightly as well and I do believe that if done a certain way it could lead to some thinning...I used to comb my hair into a wrap and try to get it as tight and as flat as possible...I find that if I just use my fingers and do a very loose wrap ....it still comes out straight, with a little more body and I lose less hair because I'm not trying to get it as flat and tight as possible...Doing a loose wrap works well for me...i know I'm in the minority but I don't think wrapping it this way is a bad thing...

shortness said:
I have stopped wrapping my hair as well after joining LHCF. I have noticed that my sides are growing back in quite nicely (were thin before). Not I put foam satin curlers in at night and put a satin bonnet on. If I don't want to be worried with teh curlers, I just put it in the bonnet with a good bit of oil b/f hand (to keep my ends moist)

Several people have mentioned using foam satin rollers. What are they and where do you get them? I'm only familiar with the regular foam rollers that you use with the papers.

hunnybunny81 said:
I wrap nightly as well and I do believe that if done a certain way it could lead to some thinning...I used to comb my hair into a wrap and try to get it as tight and as flat as possible...I find that if I just use my fingers and do a very loose wrap ....it still comes out straight, with a little more body and I lose less hair because I'm not trying to get it as flat and tight as possible...Doing a loose wrap works well for me...i know I'm in the minority but I don't think wrapping it this way is a bad thing...
I think I will try the loose wrap. I never thought about the method I was using to do a wrap.

Liz25_Ga said:
I think I will try the loose wrap. I never thought about the method I was using to do a wrap.

Me either!!! But I think if you normally wrap you should try doing it very loose and see how you like it!!!!!

KhandiB said:
If I do my FARS I either wrap it in a silk scarf or I twist sections of my hair and pin them with metal clips and put on my bonnet to save the curls 
Any other time I use a Satin Bonnet – I cant seem to find an oversized one though :sad:
www.tenderheaded.com sells oversized silk bonnets.:)

Phoenix said:
Several people have mentioned using foam satin rollers. What are they and where do you get them? I'm only familiar with the regular foam rollers that you use with the papers.
My aunt had a whole set and she gave me quite a few. I tried to find them and I came close when I went to Duane Reade. They had foam rollers but the surface of them was a smooth texture so then your hair doesn't get pulled by the foam. These rollers are great because 1) You can sleep on them since they are foam 2) they don't pull your hair like regular foam rollers.
I hope we are talking about the same thing. I am afraid that I might have confused my satin culers with the long foam ones that you can bend and make nice waves. Let me know which one's you mean (cause I just bought the long foam ones LOL)

for the winter months I: slather conditioner over my hair and cover it with a shower cap and satin bonnet for extra condtioning.

hunnybunny81 said:
...I find that if I just use my fingers and do a very loose wrap ....it still comes out straight, with a little more body and I lose less hair because I'm not trying to get it as flat and tight as possible...Doing a loose wrap works well for me...i know I'm in the minority but I don't think wrapping it this way is a bad thing...

I agree, wrapping has not been a problem for me either, and I've gone from a little past shoulder length to almost APL since joining the forum, but I'm going to try the loose wrap you suggested...thanks for the idea :D

I can't wrap my hair, so I just comb it back, twist it a few times and then pin it at the front (along my hairline) with two hair pins & then tie it down with a satin scarf...

I roll my hair on sponge rollers at night. Wrapping make my hair swing in that direction when I comb it out. Sometimes I place my hair in a high, loose ponytail and roll the ends. This gives me fullness and bounce the next morning, but the results are often hit or miss.

Back