Maaaan, I wish LHCF could expand into a brand: Hair salons, and beauty supply stores!

*ElleB

Books, products, etc....

And all based on the principles that we discuss here...

That would be a great idea. We'd know we were going to competent stylists and buying quality products, as well as getting Good advice about Hair Care....

I know of at least two people from here that are doing just that kinda. One is writing a book...another is doing a biz plan to start a healthy hair salon.

Last edited:
Re: Maaaan, I wish LHCF could expand into a brand: Hair salons, and beauty supply sto

I wish I could get my hair done by some of you ladies. Weekly. Seriously.

Re: Maaaan, I wish LHCF could expand into a brand: Hair salons, and beauty supply sto

I want to open a hair salon based on everything i have learnt here, then one day turn in into a franchize.... hmmm big dreams

That's such a great idea. I was also thinking of opening a hair salon that focuses in keeping hair healthy, rather than the latest styles. I haven't been to a hair salon since '99 and don't plan on going to one, but I would go to one that operates on the principles and ideas discussed here.

CreoleInDC said:
I know of at least two people from here that are doing just that kinda. One is writing a book...another is doing a biz plan to start a healthy hair salon.

That is sooo great.....!

*ElleB said:
That is sooo great.....!

Actually...I'm working on the biz plan. My husband and I discussed what makes me happy and outside of taking care of him and our home...I guess dispelling the "black hair myths" is what does it for me. The only thing I can't get around is the time required for the school and haven't decided if I actually want to DO hair or just open a salon with stylists who believe as I believe regarding hair care. I visited a couple of schools and I guess I'm a little concerned with the atmosphere. It seems a bit special. If I do decide to do this...I'd go to the Aveda Institute in DC...because (even though I wouldn't color my own hair I don't think) I'd like to learn how to do healthy color to black hair.

Out here you have to have a Salon Owners license in order to operate a salon and if I have to go to school for that...I might as well go to school to be a stylist.

Both my husband and I believe that I would be very good as a salon owner and not as a stylist in someone else's salon. LOL! I think he thinks I might cut the fool with someone. LOL! WHO ME?????

I'd like the salon to be more of a wellness studio wherein I would have professionals in dermatology and nutrition come in to give seminars regarding skin and hair of color. I'd also like to have a partnership with a yoga or pilates studio so that women can get the total body experience.

I don't want it to be a super fancy over the top place where I would have to charge a grip to pay for all the latest and greatest...I'd just like it to be nice so that I can have reasonable charges. You know...comfortable and pleasing to the eye. I'm an extremely visual person and love my surroundings to be nice. I'd also have it wireless so people can bring their laptops if they'd like while they are waiting.

And I would ONLY sell products that I would feel comfortable with people who want healthy hair to use on their heads so, of course, I'd like to become a salon that could sell PhytoSpecific products.

I do four of my girlfriends hair on a regular basis now and they don't want anyone else to touch their hair because of the results they have with growth and just health in general.

So whatchall think? Would you come to CreoleInDC's salon if you were in the area to get your hair done by someone who uses healthy hair principles and maybe give you a slice of Southern Comfort Cake? LOL!

Last edited:
CreoleInDC said:
Actually...I'm working on the biz plan. My husband and I discussed what makes me happy and outside of taking care of him and our home...I guess dispelling the "black hair myths" is what does it for me. The only thing I can't get around is the time required for the school and haven't decided if I actually want to DO hair or just open a salon with stylists who believe as I believe regarding hair care. I visited a couple of schools and I guess I'm a little concerned with the atmosphere. It seems a bit special. If I do decide to do this...I'd go to the Aveda Institute in DC...because (even though I wouldn't color my own hair I don't think) I'd like to learn how to do healthy color to black hair.

Out here you have to have a Salon Owners license in order to operate a salon and if I have to go to school for that...I might as well go to school to be a stylist.

Both my husband and I believe that I would be very good as a salon owner and not as a stylist in someone else's salon. LOL! I think he thinks I might cut the fool with someone. LOL! WHO ME?????

I'd like the salon to be more of a wellness studio wherein I would have professionals in dermatology and nutrition come in to give seminars regarding skin and hair of color. I'd also like to have a partnership with a yoga or pilates studio so that women can get the total body experience.

I don't want it to be a super fancy over the top place where I would have to charge a grip to pay for all the latest and greatest...I'd just like it to be nice so that I can have reasonable charges. You know...comfortable and pleasing to the eye. I'm an extremely visual person and love my surroundings to be nice. I'd also have it wireless so people can bring their laptops if they'd like while they are waiting.

And I would ONLY sell products that I would feel comfortable with people who want healthy hair to use on their heads so, of course, I'd like to become a salon that could sell PhytoSpecific products.

I do four of my girlfriends hair on a regular basis now and they don't want anyone else to touch their hair because of the results they have with growth and just health in general.

So whatchall think? Would you come to CreoleInDC's salon if you were in the area to get your hair done by someone who uses healthy hair principles and maybe give you a slice of Southern Comfort Cake? LOL!

I would come your salon but you have to be nice to nappy's.

CreoleInDC said:

Oh hell yeah. I'd be your first annoying customer, always calling for advice, both personal and hair related:D .... you sure you wanna do this Creole?

sseverin2002 said:
Oh hell yeah. I'd be your first annoying customer, always calling for advice, both personal and hair related:D .... you sure you wanna do this Creole?

I'm seriously considering it. I mean seriously...playing with numbers and such. The only thing keeping me from making some kind of move now is trying to get pregnant.

I definitely would take a trip down to DC to get my hair done....I think that is something that you should definitely pursue, and we would all support you! :grin:

I think that we here at LHCF while being quite a large online community,are a small minority within the black hair community and what we know, not everyone knows.

The women who are members here are so diverse and the network is tremendous, it would definitely be a success with everyone's suport.

Creole, I really hope you pursue this.
As well as the people who are writing books about transitioning and healthy hair care....

Shoot, we already need to start passing out business cards to invite people to this forum. The wealth of information here, (not only on hair) is priceless, not to mention to laughs and the friendships, well, E-Friendships :lol:

I love it here and my hair thanks me!!! So yes, I'm getting excited about these wonderful ideas!!

CreoleInDC said:
I'm seriously considering it. I mean seriously...playing with numbers and such. The only thing keeping me from making some kind of move now is trying to get pregnant.

Creole, I'm not sure what the law is in DC but in FL you do not need a cosmetoloty licence to operate a Salon. As long as you do not do hair, you should not be breaking any laws. The only thing you can do is Shampoo without a licence.

Be careful what school you go to. Do check the school's exam passing rate.

*ElleB said:
Shoot, we already need to start passing out business cards to invite people to this forum.

I already do this. LOL! I meet someone and give them my card (it's a personal card with my personal info on it) and I write the website on the back of it for them. LOL! Just did this at the doctor's office yesterday for the young lady who took my blood. She's a floater at the office and her hair DEFINITELY needs us. LOL!

sseverin2002 said:

Girl, you'd have to beat me to da shop!

Creole KNOWS I've got first dibs on the early morning appointments.!

*Getting her ninja-broom ready to sweep up hair in Cree's DC Salon and her Barcardi rum ready to "marinate" the pound cake"

CreoleInDC said:

Wow this sounds great!!!

I would definitely come to your shop. This was (is) a dream of mine as well. I even went to the school for a tour and everything. I just can't fit attending school into my schedule right now. Like you, I really don't want to be a stylist, but you have to be licensed here I believe to open a salon. But if you can make it work, girl, go for it!

baglady215 said:
I would definitely come to your shop. This was (is) a dream of mine as well. I even went to the school for a tour and everything. I just can't fit attending school into my schedule right now. Like you, I really don't want to be a stylist, but you have to be licensed here I believe to open a salon. But if you can make it work, girl, go for it!

My friends all think it's hysterical. I went from serious Corporate America to Housewife and now I want to do hair. They are all shaking their heads. LOL!

Quit stealing my ideas creole! :lachen: No, seriously :lol: I was talking to another forum buddy of mine about doing this very thing when we get our funds right (and finish school of course) because the startup costs are tremendous. Lexi where you at?:lol:

In Texas, you don't have to be a stylist or hold any type of license to own and operate a salon. :yep: There are major rules that apply to all states though concerning booth rental versus commission based salons... and that is very important. For doing the type of thing you are thinking about doing it would be best to go commission based. From my own turning over this issue, it seems that booth rent situations are what most of the salons we frequent are. The stylists are like their own entity and separate business apart from your salon business. They are not your employees-- and are considered independent contractors by the IRS. You simply provide the buidling-- you can't tell them how to style the hair, how to act, dress, when to come in, when to go, and you can't tell them which products to use or offer them your products to use and sell. For that, they pay you a set fee each week or month. :nono: It can get a little ghetto if you have the wrong people working for you.:lol:

For the commission based ones, you control everything-- but its much more expensive. You have to pay taxes on your employees, offer health benefits, vacation, etc and provide everything they will ever use from the combs to the relaxers, colors, and floor mats. You also are not guaranteed a set payment from the stylists and make commision off of whatever they do. They can basically decide to do two heads all month and do the rest of the work at home to avoid paying you. It gets tricky girl, but to really promote a healthy hair/wellness atmosphere commission based is the route I'm taking when the time comes. :yep: Sorry to ramble, but this is my heart y'all! ahhh... hair.:love: Monica! You are perfect for this! :yep: It would nice if we could get some up and running in every state. All it takes is a few enterprising women! :D

So whatchall think? Would you come to CreoleInDC's salon if you were in the area to get your hair done by someone who uses healthy hair principles and maybe give you a slice of Southern Comfort Cake? LOL!__________________
I only wish you lived here in North Georgia, I'd line up waiting for you. Follow your dreams!!!!!:)

Sounds like a great idea. Big question to me is how would you find stylists that follow the same train of thought b/c Healthy Hair Stylist are few and far between.

senimoni said:
Sounds like a great idea. Big question to me is how would you find stylists that follow the same train of thought b/c Healthy Hair Stylist are few and far between.
You can start with me. :D I can provide references of actual clients who consider me LHCF approved. Further, it is my self-imposed mission to dispel the myth that all stylists are stupid, no good, scissor happy biatches. I became a hair stylist after more than 20 years as a corporate professional, so I bring that extra to the table as well.

Last edited:
senimoni said:

Very carefully. LOL! I'd want to start with women who may just be out of school and who could still absorb what I'd try to teach them. Cause there would be none of that crazy stuff going on in my salon. I have a girlfriend whose hair I'm getting back into shape now who used to go to a salon weekly where the stylist gave her a touch-up every 4 weeks cause she had "bad" hair. *sigh*

balisi said:
You can start with me. :D I can provide references of actual clients who consider me LHCF approved. Further, it is my self-imposed mission to dispel the myth that all stylists are stupid, no good, scissor happy biatches. I became a hair stylist after more than 20 years as a corporate professional, so I bring that extra to the table as well.

Come on DOWN! I mean up! LOL!

Do you work in someone's salon or do you have your own?

Balisi, I've seen your shout out threads from your happy customers :yep: This is something you might want to look into too! (That is if Monica doesn't already have you on her payroll :lachen: ) oh and Monica... you know I'm available for consulting and seminars. My first will be "Embracing the Matron in You: Buns, Buns, Buns" :grin: -- and you would also have to be willing to fly down and do some "Growing your hair while still remaining Fabulous and Sexy" seminars at my establishment:lol: That's if you still have it by then ...:lol: :lachen: :lol: I don't see your fabulosity fading anytime soon though.:lol:

I'm working independently for now. I graduated early this year, but it is so important to get into the RIGHT salon, so in the meantime, I'm building up my clientele. I have always practiced healthy hair care on myself and anyone whose hair I touched, way before I enrolled in cosmetology school or discovered the existence of hair boards. So I never did any of that "crazy stuff."

I also have plans to check out the scene in Europe, as I am considering becoming a hairstylist there in the next year.

Sistaslick said:
... oh and Monica... you know I'm available for consulting and seminars. My first will be "Embracing the Matron in You: Buns, Buns, Buns" :grin:

That's why that girl called you "El-lame-o." ROFL! (I still want you to tell me who said it.)

balisi said:
I also have plans to check out the scene in Europe, as I am considering becoming a hairstylist there in the next year.

Now that sounds cool!

Did you go to an Aveda school? Why didn't you open your own salon?

CreoleInDC said:
Now that sounds cool!

Did you go to an Aveda school? Why didn't you open your own salon?
I did not attend the Aveda Institute only because they had no local schools open when I enrolled. The Aveda Institute in my area has been open for just over a year and still does not offer an evening program. I was holding down a 9-5 during the two years it took me to attend school at night, so going to day school was not an option for me.

I did not open my own salon because I was able to experience first-hand, through a six-week salon management course at my school, EXACTLY what is required to open and manage a salon. We even had to build a model salon. I have also learned from salon owners, famous and not so famous, that it is not all that it's cracked up to be. It is just not something that I am interested in. Also, as an owner/manager, I would have precious little time to "do" hair, which is what I really enjoy at this time. If you've ever seen "Blowout" you might have an idea of what it takes to get a salon up and running, and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Also, opening a salon fresh out of school with very little salon experience, with two student loans to my name, a mortgage, a car note, a growing family, etc., was just not a viable option for me.

I can definitely put you in touch with some salon owners who can give you some insight on what it all entails.

Back