Maaaan, I wish LHCF could expand into a brand: Hair salons, and beauty supply stores!

balisi said:
I can definitely put you in touch with some salon owners who can give you some insight on what it all entails.

Thanks but I'm pretty comfortable with my research thus far. I'll holla if I need you later if it's okay however.

Creole,

Too excited. Now you know I told you I was moving up in the Fall. So if you need some marketing/public relations for the grand opening...then I'm your go to public relations practioner.

I don't want to write a book or open a salon. But I do want to open a BSS in my hometown. Currently we only have two. Sally BS (chain) and GG's (privately owned). Sally's is okay but ours is very little and GG's they are just rude, the products are old and they don't take returns on anything.

I really think that my area has the market for it and that it would be succesful.

I've been thinking about writing a book. I think it would be very beneficial to women who feel weird about spending hours on a website. BUT I think about it and figure would't it be cheaper for them to just come on the site and pay the $5? Hmm, but you do have to make that money

karezone said:
I don't want to write a book or open a salon. But I do want to open a BSS in my hometown. Currently we only have two. Sally BS (chain) and GG's (privately owned). Sally's is okay but ours is very little and GG's they are just rude, the products are old and they don't take returns on anything.

I really think that my area has the market for it and that it would be succesful.

This is just too wonderful for words!

Wildchild453 said:
BUT I think about it and figure would't it be cheaper for them to just come on the site and pay the $5? Hmm, but you do have to make that money

True. But you also have to keep in mind that for a vast majority of women-- sitting around on the internet sifting through threads all day long trying to find what they need is not an option. In fact, when I start working fulltime again, y'all won't be seeing my footlong posts all that often either.:lol: Also, people are more willing to accept information they read published in a book, rather than listen to "pookie3343" or "sweetgal22" on a random hairboard. I know personally, I have family members who wouldn't dare log on here and be caught looking up hair stuff from people they "don't know".:lol: But they would respect a hair book. Being on the boards kind of diminished my desire for hair books-- but they are helpful for lots of women. :yep: I own most of the current books by black hair authors on the market and still feel that there are gaps and holes in many of them. What I want to try to do is fill in some of the holes that I see. While we on the hairboards see the amazing potential this site and other hair sites have for spreading info, there is still a vast segment of women who do not share our web surfing interests. Also, with the level of internet clutter there is out there-- misinformation being passed along as fact-- and the sheer volume of information covered here in bits and pieces-- it can all be totally overwhelming.

You can be a member of a hair forum for months going on years before you find everything you need to get yourself going on even a basic regimen. If you don't know what to look for, or if you don't happen to be online when someone introduces a topic you need-- you are out of luck until the issue resurfaces months or even years later.:ohwell: For someone starting out without a sound background to lean on or starting from scratch-- it can be rather intimidating. These are some of the reasons I want to write a book :yep: I love writing . . . and I basically want to share my own personal experiences, findings, and thoughts. A book is a good way to consolidate the good information, weed out the junk, add information from other trusted science based sources,--and have it all presented in a clear, concise format that can easily be referred to over and over again.:) Even when the internet is down:lol:

Last edited:
Sistaslick said:
True. But you also have to keep in mind that for a vast majority of women-- sitting around on the internet sifting through threads all day long trying to find what they need is not an option. In fact, when I start working fulltime again, y'all won't be seeing my footlong posts all that often either.:lol: Also, people are more willing to accept information they read published in a book, rather than listen to "pookie3343" or "sweetgal22" on a random hairboard. I know personally, I have family members who wouldn't dare log on here and be caught looking up hair stuff from people they "don't know".:lol: But they would respect a hair book. Being on the boards kind of diminished my desire for hair books-- but they are helpful for lots of women. :yep: I own most of the current books by black hair authors on the market and still feel that there are gaps and holes in many of them. What I want to try to do is fill in some of the holes that I see. While we on the hairboards see the amazing potential this site and other hair sites have for spreading info, there is still a vast segment of women who do not share our web surfing interests. Also, with the level of internet clutter there is out there-- misinformation being passed along as fact-- and the sheer volume of information covered here in bits and pieces-- it can all be totally overwhelming.

You can be a member of a hair forum for months going on years before you find everything you need to get yourself going on even a basic regimen. If you don't know what to look for, or if you don't happen to be online when someone introduces a topic you need-- you are out of luck until the issue resurfaces months or even years later.:ohwell: For someone starting out without a sound background to lean on or starting from scratch-- it can be rather intimidating. These are some of the reasons I want to write a book :yep: I love writing . . . and I basically want to share my own personal experiences, findings, and thoughts. A book is a good way to consolidate the good information, weed out the junk, add information from other trusted science based sources,--and have it all presented in a clear, concise format that can easily be referred to over and over again.:) Even when the internet is down:lol:

WOW, you've said a mouth full of truth there!
And u r so right....I'm on here all the time, but I'm in college, and carry a laptop around all day. And don't work. But when I do, and the semester changes, then I won't be able to be on here all the time....As well as the fact that to many people this concept is "stupid" (not my opinion)....So yes, a book would be great!

u can include all the great photos that are available here....

Last edited:
karezone said:

This is what I want to do as well.:grin:

Sistaslick said:

Awesome point! I know I would probably show a friend a book before I let them see my obsession has gone this far. :lol: I also love to write and always wondered how I could get my foot in the door, I love too many genres that's the problem. I can see this being a good refrence book but I'd wondered where to start. Oh adding before and after pics of LHCFers would be great and inspiring. Hell how bout you focus on the permers and I'll do the naturals. :lol:

Wildchild453 said:
Awesome point! I know I would probably show a friend a book before I let them see my obsession has gone this far.

Me too. I haven't told some people that are close to me about this site because I don't want them here bugging me when I say something. But I'd tell them about Sistaslick's book in a heartbeat!

CreoleInDC said:
Me too. I haven't told some people that are close to me about this site because I don't want them here bugging me when I say something. But I'd tell them about Sistaslick's book in a heartbeat!

:lol: :lol: Same here....I don't want them like "You are on a what??!:eek: " LOL, they won't get it....

Sistaslick, I want my copy signed too!

Re: Maaaan, I wish LHCF could expand into a brand: Hair salons, and beauty supply sto

How about starting an LHCF magazine or newsletter? It could come out once or twice a year...maybe more. Important basic info and any new info could be added since we are constantly learning new info (at least I am) all the time. That could be helpful to people who don't want to surf the net as well.

Also, is anyone trying to start a healthy hair salon in Chicago?

Re: Maaaan, I wish LHCF could expand into a brand: Hair salons, and beauty supply sto

africa said:
How about starting an LHCF magazine or newsletter? It could come out once or twice a year...maybe more. Important basic info and any new info could be added since we are constantly learning new info (at least I am) all the time. That could be helpful to people who don't want to surf the net as well.

Also, is anyone trying to start a healthy hair salon in Chicago?
Yeah, it would put Sophisticates and Hype Hair to total shame! I can see it now...front, side AND back views of hair photos, which don't get recycled for every other issue! Also, the styling instructions would be complete and realistic. Perhaps the mag can contain equal information and photos for relaxed, natural and transitioning hair. And hopefully the editing would be perfect!

I may write a book when i get to natural buttlength:D but i definetely will make and market homemade hair growth products to heal alopecia, balding, thin hair and a whole line for naturals specially and natural skincare once the make up line is established. There s a huge market for it be in the states, Europe and Africa. There s a high demand for natural products be it cosmetics or skincare or haircare. For far too long we ' ve been ignoring what it s in our lotions and the industry got away with it fda approved or not;) :cool:

ekomba said:
I may write a book when i get to natural buttlength:D but i definetely will make and market homemade hair growth products to heal alopecia, balding, thin hair and a whole line for naturals specially and natural skincare once the make up line is established. There s a huge market for it be in the states, Europe and Africa. There s a high demand for natural products be it cosmetics or skincare or haircare. For far too long we ' ve been ignoring what it s in our lotions and the industry got away with it fda approved or not;) :cool:

What makes you an expert in products for thinning hair? Are you in the medical or science field?

I just want to jump in and say, Sista Slick, your progress is truly amazing and very inspiring :) .

Aww motivation, I want to open my own salon with hair products, beauty and spa treatments. For all nationalities, men women and children, I also want to do dematology and nutrition to know the ins and out. I want to style and own the salon, mainly own it. My man said he wouldn't mind doing babering there also. My friend also said he will write my business plan (he is my age, 17, and he writes his dads business plan). I even wrote a brief very brief guide to black hair care for my coursework. My dad owns his own business, and he's giving my tips on how to go about it. I'm going to spend 2yrs in beauty school (after my degree), so by the age of 22 I want to be setting up my business properly.

CreoleInDC said:
What makes you an expert in products for thinning hair? Are you in the medical or science field?

no CreoleinDC but i used myself as a guinea pig and managed to thicken my own thinning hair, i passed along my recipes to my aunt who had alopecia and thinning problems and its working. I guess family now that my hair is thriving ask me to make them a simplified combo of what has been working, what i eat because they remembered that my hair used to grow slow and they flabbergasted and shocked. And after doing all these experiments, i m so amazed i want to go back to college and study chemistry at Columbia i m fascinated with hair and i also want to go to Australia for a semester to study how to become a trichologist. I already contacted the school and i have the info. Yes i want to branch out in the science field cause many things such as the msm i cant explain.

Like how i can manipulate my texture, how the same thinning hair while transitioning i can thicken it. and boy if i did not cut the whole thing to go natural, i could have kept my hair.(cause my reason for going natural was thinning relaxed hair but when i transitioned for a year the hair went back thicker with sulfur and all the aids) Yes now i m fascinated with hair, the science behind it. I m wondering if our bodies is mainly made of sulfur and the more sulfur in the body, the more it determines the texture.(little note on sulfur :Sulfur is found in all body tissue and also in the hemoglobin (the substance that is contained within the red blood cells - hemoglobin is also the medium by which oxygen is transported throughout the body.Sulfur is of great importance in proper nutrition. Almost every protein in our body depends on sulfur for its structural integrity and proper functioning.Sulfur is very good, an essential to our bodies. Sulfur helps to maintain a healthy immune system as well as protecting the protoplasm of the cells (protoplasm is the material from which the cells are made). Since sulfur plays such a key role in the structure of the cell it also stands to reason that it likewise supports the cells in resisting the decaying process (cell death). What this means is a slowing down of the aging process. In addition, the skin, bone, cartilage, tendons, ligaments, fingernails, and hair all are dependent on sulfur for structural integrity. Sulfur is needed for the proper synthesis of collagen. Collagen is the principle or major element that gives this structural integrity.
Sulfur is highly suggested for dermatitis, psoriasis, eczema, and other skin conditions. Sulfur is used as a blood disinfectant and will aid in resisting bacterial growth. It has been shown to be an aid to proper circulation and hence could be good for diabetes as well. Sulfur protects against the effects of toxic substances and would be a good addition for those who are going through radiation therapy. It is a wonderful element to be taking especially when cancer is present in the body in any form.)

I really want to learn more as a chemist about the use of sulfur (or hire chemists hihi). And just as Mme CJ Walker who was not a scientist but looking for a way to heal a balding problem, created her own anti-thinning product to grow hair, i will do the same and continue my research with sulfur and herbs and amino acids. I have many questions and want so bad to get my butt in a lab lol:p :D

Last edited:
I'm planning on opening a salon on day for healthy hair only!!!
-No glue in weaves
-No constant haircutting unless the client insisted
-Bone combs/Jilbere shower combs only!
-Rollersets with mild amount of heat
-No blowouts!
-No black protein gel!
-Always advising the client on what she needs to do to keep her hair healthy
-No coloring on hair that is not healthy...I will warn strongly against coloring relaxed hair (I have had bad experiences with this, though I know this is not everyone's experience)
-I will try to encourage women to use mild relaxers
-NO OVERLAPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-No one will be getting a relaxer in my salon every 4 weeks or anything crazy like that! I will encourage people to wait at least 10 weeks! If they have somewhere special to go I can always rollerset and flat iron the ROOTS.

I need to go to beauty school first to get my license...sadly right now it's very hard to fit in with my work schedule.

CreoleInDC said:
Once you get that chemistry experience you're gonna be da bomb! Keep us posted!

Thanks CreoleinDC lol but knowing myself i may do like i did with the cosmetics line and hire chemists and tell them what i want in there as far as ingredients and doses and let them tell me it s not toxic. :lol: i like to deal with manufactures i want everything to stay legal and not poisonous lol:grin: :lol: :lachen: For the cosmetics i m dealing with chemists with more than 20years of experience. It s good also to let the pro do what they re good at but i want to put my hand in the mix too lol:lol: hope i dont make no explosions in the lab:lachen:

Ok future BSS owners and other knowledgeable ladies! I am having a TIME trying to find out about product distribution.

I am in the beginning stages of this and I have no idea where to begin to try and become a distributor for various products. I called the Customer Service line for a few and did get the help I needed---but if any of you have any ideas or experience---do tell

ayoung1981 said:
Ok future BSS owners and other knowledgeable ladies! I am having a TIME trying to find out about product distribution.

I am in the beginning stages of this and I have no idea where to begin to try and become a distributor for various products. I called the Customer Service line for a few and did get the help I needed---but if any of you have any ideas or experience---do tell

Bumping for ayoung

CreoleInDC said:
So whatchall think? Would you come to CreoleInDC's salon if you were in the area to get your hair done by someone who uses healthy hair principles and maybe give you a slice of Southern Comfort Cake? LOL!

Yes, sounds a little bit of wonderful..Good luck

I was thinking about creating 100% satin head scarves that fit the head and do not fall off while sleeping. In different shades and sizes depending on length of hair, etc

Last edited:
Nic_Cali said:
Yes, sounds a little bit of wonderful..Good luck

I was thinking about creating 100% satin head scarves that fit the head and do not fall off while sleeping. In different shades and sizes depending on length of hair, etc

Do it chica!

Back