Lye relaxer leaving hair hard?

sunshinelady

Hey guys,

A quick question, does a lye relaxer leave anyone else's hair hard? I texlaxed yesterday and my hair is so hard. I can't figure it out. Did I do something wrong or should I be using no-lye? Also, Should I follow up with a protein or moisturizing conditioner?

I thought lye was supposed to leave your hair softer?:ohwell:

I hope you get your answer, I was planning on texlaxing soon with SE as well.

Since I'm still somewhat of a :newbie:.......I'm not a hair expert or genius...lol....but from what I've been reading on here so far.......Lye relaxers are suppose to be easier and better for the hair, but harder on the scalp......and No-Lye relaxers are suppose to be easier and better for the scalp, but harder on the hair. So maybe the type of relaxer you used wasn't the best for your hair. And also.....I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't do a protein conditioner until like a week after you relax. I'm not too sure on that part.......so dont quote me on that.:perplexed

Yes you are suppose to do a protein tx after you relax your hair b/c the relaxer strips your hair of protein so you have to restore it back in you should invest in Aproghee 2 min recon you are to put this on right after you wash your hair w/neutralizing shampoo let it sit on for 2min or 5min if you are exp.serious breakage and also still give your self a DC and maybe treat your hair to a hot oil tx and trust me when I say you will be in for a suprise Major softness and shine:yep::yep:

Bump, 90 views and only 7 responses, three of which are mine?

Please respond. Let me know if you need additional information or anything else.

hi,
I think you should have deep conditioned with a moisturising conditioner particularly if the protein treatment you did has keratin as one of the ingredients.
In short, for light proteins like wheat, soy, oat etc a rinse is fine but if using stronger protein like keratin , then deep conditioning with a moisturising conditioner is necessary.
HTH

A few questions:

What kind of relaxer was it? Where did you purchase it? What is the date code from the jar? Did you use the entire system?

hi,
I think you should have deep conditioned with a moisturising conditioner particularly if the protein treatment you did has keratin as one of the ingredients.
In short, for light proteins like wheat, soy, oat etc a rinse is fine but if using stronger protein like keratin , then deep conditioning with a moisturising conditioner is necessary.
HTH

Completely agree! A moisturizing deep conditioner is also very important on relaxer day just like a protein conditioner. A moisturizing rinse only coats the strands to help detangle your hair. Very little (if any) penetrates deeply beyond the cuticle to add moisture and elasticity.

I used ORS lye for the first time in Dec. and it made my hair softer. I am not sure why SE lye would make your hair hard. I also followed the same steps as you. I rinsed the relaxer out, asphogee constructor, neutralizing shampoo and DC with ORS repl. conditioner. I am thinking that particular brand is just not good for you hair. :perplexed

A few questions:

What kind of relaxer was it? Where did you purchase it? What is the date code from the jar? Did you use the entire system?

SE Mild Lye. Purchased from Sally's. Didn't catch the date code. No, used Elasta QP neutralizer.

My hair was a little hard for some reason so I washed my hair with Keracare detangling shampoo. Brought it right back and I leave CB Smooth Triple silk on my hair for a long time. Soft hair is the result. However I was surprised that my hair was a little hard. Maybe it felt more stripped than anything...like it's been clarified.

Last edited:
Yeah, it feels like it has been clarified. I hope this feeling goes away without messing up my hair.

I slept overnight with Pantene Breakage Defense on, it felt slightly better when I rinsed this morning.

SE Mild Lye. Purchased from Sally's. Didn't catch the date code. No, used Elasta QP neutralizer.

I brought the SE Mild Lye and the Elasta QP Neutralizer to texlax too. Do you have to use a neutralizing shampoo from the same product line? I'm confused :perplexed

Back