Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge - Fall 2011

So I received my mud wash yesterday and used it for the first time today. I took my twists out that had been in for about 4 days, those were a mistake. Couldn't have worn a twist out even if I wanted to. Oh well. I've never liked my twists to much. Anywho I put my hair in 10 big twists and applied the mud wash and lightly finger detangled. I had some shed hair but not to much but the awesome part is that I didn't notice ANY SSK!!!!! So I was super excited. Washed my hair with the mud wash and my hair is soooo soft. So I'm happy. Hopefully things only get better from here :grin:

Just checking in!

My rollerset came out pretty well last week. i'm going to rollerset my hair again on thursday night since I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and I want my hair to be straight.

Today, I washed my hair and let it air dry while down. I never do this. I'm trying to think of ways to easily deal with my hair without manipulating it too much or putting stress on the crown of my scalp. i've had a lot of breakage there. so, air drying with my hair down will probably help(so i hope), in addition to the roller setting.

anyways, it's nice to see the curls. i've been transitioning for a year and a half. i will pin my hair up in a bun to keep my ends protected. haven't noticed any splits but i have seen some breakage still... little pieces of hair in the sink. :(

No bushy ends this morning!! This is from the mudwash. I didn't change anything else. My hair is super moisturized from root to tip.

Just checking in!

My rollerset came out pretty well last week. i'm going to rollerset my hair again on thursday night since I have a wedding to go to on Saturday and I want my hair to be straight.

Today, I washed my hair and let it air dry while down. I never do this. I'm trying to think of ways to easily deal with my hair without manipulating it too much or putting stress on the crown of my scalp. i've had a lot of breakage there. so, air drying with my hair down will probably help(so i hope), in addition to the roller setting.

anyways, it's nice to see the curls. i've been transitioning for a year and a half. i will pin my hair up in a bun to keep my ends protected. haven't noticed any splits but i have seen some breakage still... little pieces of hair in the sink. :(

Sounds nice. Let us know if you have any tiips while drying your hair while out.

My ends came out much better this time.

I rinsed out the conditioner in twists. Let my hair drip dry a little.
Used Zuresh Leave-in and put shea butter on my ends and worked the product through with my Tangle Teezer and retwisted.
Let it air dry for about 10 to 15 minutes
Applied oil mix and AVG to each section, split the section into smaller sections and retwisted.
Applied Adiva Naturals Leave In to the twists and my roots.

So far my ends feel soooo much better. I will see how they turn out tomorrow. If they come out well I will repeat this regi next wash day. :yep:

I'm on a personal ends challenge so this is perfect, let me join up and share and learn with all you other ladies.

If you
1. had healthy ends but damaged them in some way
2. have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
3. have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle
4. have breakage you just want to get rid of
5. or fill in the blank

this challenge is for you.

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc VERY lightly texlaxed, i still pass for natural
2. Current Hair Length CBL
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends they feel ok while wet but feel so brittle and dry once my hair dries. When i flat iron too it looks awful cuz the ends just wont lie down, they stick in ever direction. I did 2 trims this year because of those nasty ends but no more, i'm determined to find a way to fix them.
4. What you have tried to improve your ends baggying, cowashing with salt, heavy sealing
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends everything mentioned in #4 worked really well (especially the salt!!) so i will stick to them and try new stuff as i come across it.

For my first update: I'm still trying to find the perfect sealant for heavy sealing but castor oil, petroleum grease and non-petroleum grease were all a bust, so far the best thing has been Crisco, gave my smooth, moisturized ends for days so we'll see. I only tried it once so i want to make sure the results were not a one time deal so i moisturized with diluted condish and sealed with Crisco this evening, i'll let you all know how my hair feels in the AM.

[USER=72655 said:
Khaiya[/USER];14391307]I'm on a personal ends challenge so this is perfect, let me join up and share and learn with all you other ladies.

If you
1. had healthy ends but damaged them in some way
2. have ends that are dry, brittle, bushy
3. have ends that are thin, breaking or brittle
4. have breakage you just want to get rid of
5. or fill in the blank

this challenge is for you.

To join, post
1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc VERY lightly texlaxed, i still pass for natural
2. Current Hair Length CBL
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends they feel ok while wet but feel so brittle and dry once my hair dries. When i flat iron too it looks awful cuz the ends just wont lie down, they stick in ever direction. I did 2 trims this year because of those nasty ends but no more, i'm determined to find a way to fix them.
4. What you have tried to improve your ends baggying, cowashing with salt, heavy sealing
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends everything mentioned in #4 worked really well (especially the salt!!) so i will stick to them and try new stuff as i come across it.

For my first update: I'm still trying to find the perfect sealant for heavy sealing but castor oil, petroleum grease and non-petroleum grease were all a bust, so far the best thing has been Crisco, gave my smooth, moisturized ends for days so we'll see. I only tried it once so i want to make sure the results were not a one time deal so i moisturized with diluted condish and sealed with Crisco this evening, i'll let you all know how my hair feels in the AM.

Welcome to the challenge Khaiya. The things that you are trying sound very interesting. Looking forward to hearing about the crisco.

All ladies with bushy ends, what did you try this week? Let's share our attempts and results.

I will be watching you ladies. I too am working on my ends. I have decided to keep my hair in up dos the rest of the year or at least off my shoulders and out of the air for the next year.

Working on my ends and my temple areas.

Wishing you all the best success.

All ladies with bushy ends, what did you try this week? Let's share our attempts and results.

Well, I wanted a water-based moisturizer, but since I'm a broke college student, I had to improvise. I bought a natural hand lotion months back that did really well with my skin. I took a look at the ingredients and here's what I found:

Water, Olive leaf extract, Green Tea Leaf extract, Sea Kelp extract, Sunflower Seed oil, Jojoba Seed oil, Gylcerin, Stearic Acid (veggie derived), Glyceryl Stearate SE (plant derived), Carnauba wax, Shea butter, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Xanthan Gum, Benzyl Alcohol (plant derived), Potassium Sorbate (fruit derived), dehyroacetic acid.

Since I'm no where near a chem student, some of the ingredients were lost on me. The ones I did recognize, I liked a lot. So, what the heck. I gave it a try.

Though my hair IS a little greasier than I prefer, my ends are softer. I'm gonna give this stuff a week to see if my hair really likes it. I'll report back then.

Hi,

I hope it's not too late to join. I think this will be beneficial to learn from everyone and help me learn more about caring for my hair.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc. - mildly texlaxed
2. Current Hair Length. - shoulder length
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends. - they sometimes feel rough, can't ever see any splits until AFTER they've broken off.
4. What you have tried to improve your ends. - seal on a daily basis with Jojoba, olive or an oil mix, I keep my hair up off my shoulders, I rarely blow dry or flat iron my hair, I keep my ends wrapped or tucked in. I use moisturizing products or natural ones, and always wrap up at night in a satin scarf.
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends. - I may go back to a weave for the winter, I will make some avg/j and add it to my moisturize and sealing, no heat / flat ironing (unless I'm drying my hair under the weave),trim more consistently, henna treatment, not sure what else I can do...

Sent from my Xoom using Xoom

Last edited:
I'm still out on the Crisco, the front of my hair (4A) felt awesome from root to ends so I know it works for at least that half of my head but for the back half (which is 4B) it was just ok, the top half was soft and moisturized but the ends were still dry and frayed. I'm in twists now so when I take them down in a few days I'll see if using more Crisco can get my 4b ends under control.

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
Natural
2. Current Hair Length
Between APL and BSL
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends
Recovering from bad dye (stripped my hair a little to much) ends are brittles breaking in some spots just trying to protect the ends as I grow my hair out
4. What you have tried to improve your ends
When I was in braids infusiums now just keeping moisture will be protecting styles in a few weeks to about 02/12
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends
see above

My ends seemed to be more exposed when doing twist on stretched hair. When its wet it seems to all shrink up to the same level :ohwell: So this morning wet my ends with water and coated my ends with a mix of shea butter/cocoa butter, banana clipped the back and tucked the ends under.

I am going to try baggying the ends sometime this week to see how that works.

Got a rollerset done tonight after my touch up and quickly wrapped it up to hide my ends. Going right into a loose bun or pinned-down ponytail tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to moisturize and seal tomorrow night too...

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using myTouch_4G_Slide

I have a bad habit of constantly rubbing my new growth cuz I've never had new growth like this before and the texture is so..... different from what I'm used to, having relaxed so often.

Keeping my hair in PS. Dying to flat iron but trying to resist!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Ok so I twisted my hair on saturday and my ends STILL look good (which has never happened since I've been natural). I haven't reapplied any product to my hair (I do oil my scalp nightly though). I've just been baggying. The true test would be a twist out...I'll think about it next week maybe. Mudwash, shea butter mix, nightly baggying= WORKS FOR ME. I'll let you guys know if I do a twist out how my ends look.

[USER=3864 said:
lana[/USER];14415049]Thank you for this thread OP.

Your welcome. I hope over the next few months it will have good content so that not only will the challengers have success but that new members will be able to learn something when they read it.

Co washed Tuesday with Aussie moist, applied daily application of jojoba, grape seed, lavender, rosemary, thime, and cedarwood mixture braided hair into 4 sections and baggy. Wednesday applied hempseed oil throughout my hair. Baggy tonight with coconut oil my hair loves coconut oil. Will DC tomorrow I'm not sure which product I'm going to use will update next week. my hair overall is doing so much better.

Last edited:
Washed n DCed tonight, did an ACV rinse, added some Crisco and then threaded my hair. Tried baggying with no products last night and my hair felt very soft and moisturized this morning! Going to continue doing it and see if my end improve.

Wore my hair in a french twist to hide the ends. Coated them with Seyani Hair Butter before bed and crosswrapped.

I'm under the dryer.

I don't feel good about all of the shedding my hair is going through. I feel like I'm losing the same amount, if I wash every other day or if I let a week pass in between. It's worrying me. I hate seeing so much hair in the drain. I know it's long hair and I know it's dark and curly and looks bigger than it actually is. Curls also clump together.... But still. I don't have thick hair to start with. I don't want to suddenly have no hair!

Anyway maybe this has nothing to do with my ends. I'm still going to try to wash/wet my hair twice a week. Maybe I can get it done once a week and set it myself the other time during the week. I'm not sure if I can stick to the natural journey. I really don't want to relax my hair though. My curls don't seem much different from my relaxed hair but I can feel the difference at my roots.

This is really difficult. I'm trying to have a life. I don't want to be wasting my nights washing my hair or try to plan a schedule around having clean hair. But I refuse to cut it. I like and ant to have long hair. And I don't think a guy will look too kindly on a girl who has a stand up dryer that takes up so much space in my apartment that it might as well look like a modern art piece because I can't hide it anywhere.

Ok, done venting. Hope my ends are fabulous.

I'm still doing my moisturizing and sealing. I guess my ends feel a little better :ohwell: I have been tucking them daily but today I am wearing my twists loose. I still haven't tried baggying my ends yet. I will try to remember to do it tomorrow.

Baggying is da bomb! Today my hair is soft and moisturized (yes the ends too!) I didn't even have to wet it to comb it this morning! This is definitely a staple.

Back