Lowlights - Am I about to make a huge mistake?

OnlyErin

Hi all,

I just got my hair touched up after 11 weeks and thanks to the advice and posts from this board, it looks fab. My new stylist, who I went to a long time ago when I lived a little farther up Miami Beach even remarked on how healthy it was. After a trim, I now have hair about 2 inches below my shoulders in the back and nearly shoulder length on the front and sides.

Now my question - Miami gets hot as --- all year round, and as a result, my hair has been "sun-bleached" to a very unflattering orange-brown. My stylist suggested getting blue-black color because the hair would look healthier and shiny, but when I balked about having all-over color, lowlights were suggested to me. When the process was explained to me, it seemed cool, and I asked a billion times about potential damage and was told it'd be formulated to work with relaxed hair, so I made an appointment to have it done two weeks from now.

But now I'm having second thoughts. The last time I had color, I had auburn highlights and my hair was all right, but the color didn't take well. And the last time I got a rinse, my hair dried and broke off so badly that I had to get it cut. I'm sitting here looking at my hair, which is the longest its been in years, and I do NOT want to screwit up. But I know that there are relaed people here who have semi and permanent color, so I ask for guidance. Should I do this? I tried Sebastian laminates and it was okay, but nothing dramatic. The orangey, brassy look really is getting on my nerves, but I will learn to live with it if this lowlight plan will damage my hair.

Be well,

OE

censored.gif
censored.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My stylist suggested getting blue-black color because the hair would look healthier and shiny

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I would suggest too. I think this would be better for your hair and it would look shinier and healthier. But why not do a semi permanent black, they last forever anyway and are a little less damaging than a permanent color. You can try hennalucent too, you may be able to find a color that's in the same hue of your existing color.
I don't know much about lowlights, so I can't make a comment about that.

Re: Lowlights -(Caramela)

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but Caramela do you have a black rinse or semi-perm? I've been toying with the idea of getting one so I was wondering what brand do you suggest?

TIA
smile.gif

First of all you should wait a few weeks to get any permanent color process after a relaxer. Second of all I would not go ahead and get the lowlights because it can increase damage especially because you alreday have a relaxer, I would just go for a semi-permanent color or even a colored rinse like the Sebastian's line. You worked so hard to get your healthy I would just leave permanent colors alone.

OE, i've never colored my hair. so i have no idea. i think caramela made some good suggestions though.

if you don't hear from tracy, i'd send her a PM. i definitely consider her to color guru.
notworthy.gif

keep us posted on what happens!

adrienne

what about that bigen stuff? Look into that, I know someone on here said it was good for relaxed hair. Maybe NAY007.

I currently am using Loving Care in black, but before that I was using gleaming ebony in hennalucent. I loved my hennalucent, but it just began becoming too messy for me to deal with the application.
look.gif

My personal feeling love is that you stick with what has worked because of the goal you have in mind. You said in your PM that you used Sebastian.

There is no need to use permanent color of any kind to go dark when you are trying to grow your hair long because you can do it just as easily with semi-permanent color/ rinses and guarantee that no damage ensues.

Therefore I say - go with your gut - tell your stylist thanks but no thanks and apply your Sebastian's. Unless you want blue black hair for a long long time tho I'd say go with Mahoghany (a dark brown with an auburn cast) or Liquid Amber in Colorshines (same color with more of a true red cast) or Coffee Bean (a dark true brown - but it has a greenish base so you should mix in a little Reddisimo or Redality to counteract it so your hair doesn't take ona greenish tint as it rinses out).

If you want blue black, Amreican Indian or Asianesque hair then go for it! It can look sooo beautiful! I did it for years, but relaxed hair is porous and it soaks that black up and it is VERY difficult to get it out. Then you have to grow it out, and you have brown roots and black length and it's crazy!
crazy.gif

If you have more questions let me know. It sounds like your stylist means well - but I'd decline. Stylists rarely do color as well as you would think they should be able to. Any time I have ever gotten a bad color job it was from a "professional". I've always done a better job myself.

Work it out girl! And go with your gut.

HTH
smile.gif

Back