Looking for Lye Relaxer for Extremely Thick and Coarse Oprah-like hair

czyfaith77

Could you all please help me. I am in the middle of a stretch. I am about 11 weeks. Though I don't plan on relaxing my hair anytime, I have been researching lye relaxers. Could any of you tell me what could work very well on very thick, coarse, Oprah-like hair? I have been considering

1) Vitale
2) Affirm
3) Mizani

These are my top three. I do not want my scalp to burn off like someone set it on fire but, I do want a really good relaxer that with a good application will not be over or under processed. Thank you ladies for your imput.:)

Last edited:
In all honesty it depends on the application. If you have someone apply it with the right timing, neutralizing etc. will pretty much determine the outcome of any.

I've had Affirm and Mizani they are both good. I've never had Vitale.

I've had affirm, but it was mild and left my hair severely underprocessed. I would leave it in extra long, but it still didn't help. If i would go back to affirm, i would try regular, but I dunno b/c the parts of my hair from affirm are now severely dry and always need special attention. Plus, I've been looking for a relaxer that is more accessible. I currently use revlon, but a lot of ppl don't like it and experienced dryness and thinning over time. I have been looking for a new relaxer and vitale and mizani were the exact ones I have been eyeing.

Bumping this because although i was going to transition (chickened out) it's time to get a relaxer, and I would LOVE to switch to lye because I hear how great they are, but Im scared that it won't work correctly, and I'll be underprocessed.

czyfaith77 said:
Could you all please help me. I am in the middle of a stretch. I am about 11 weeks. Though I don't plan on relaxing my hair anytime, I have been researching lye relaxers. Could any of you tell me what could work very well on very thick, coarse, Oprah-like hair? I have been considering

1) Vitale
2) Affirm
3) Mizani

These are my top three. I do not want my scalp to burn off like someone set it on fire but, I do want a really good relaxer that with a good application will not be over or under processed. Thank you ladies for your imput.:)

Well, I don't know about the other two, but try the Vitale Life and Body hair relaxer with aloe vera.....they have one for coarse thick hair...I use the regular for texturizing and I think it's excellent....I'm sure it would be even better for relaxing....I've seen the coarse/thick hair formula, it has red writing instead of blue.....look out for the new packaging...

If you don't want your scalp to burn etc...base your scalp (use conditioner or vaseline) and don't itch or have your hair in any tight hair styles 24-48 hours before relaxing...

Have fun.:)

Good luck on your relaxer hunt. I don't have any suggestions for you, but just wanted to say that I like your username and member tag. (Beyond Rubies) :)

czyfaith77 said:

1) Vitale
2) Affirm
3) Mizani

Oprah uses the phytoline (phytorelaxer which is no lye). However, Affirm is a good lye relaxer. You should search for the posts on the phytorelaxer though, a lot of ladies have had great luck with this one.

Supergirl said:
Good luck on your relaxer hunt. I don't have any suggestions for you, but just wanted to say that I like your username and member tag. (Beyond Rubies) :)

Thanks Supergirl. I like your user name and your hair. ;)

cocoberry10 said:
Oprah uses the phytoline (phytorelaxer which is no lye). However, Affirm is a good lye relaxer. You should search for the posts on the phytorelaxer though, a lot of ladies have had great luck with this one.

I had been wanting to know for years what she used. Thanks! :)

I thank everyone for your responses. I decided to relax today. I was experiencing a little shedding/breakage. I tried Vitale Life and Body, first lye relaxer in years. I was scared at first but, I ended up really liking it. Before the relaxer application, I used the Vitale Foundation Pre-conditioner I didn't burn at all. The only thing is that I think next time I will get the one for coarse hair. Overall, it was still good. My hair never felt this soft after a no-lye, so lye it is. I have to play with the formulas to find which one is best for me. Afterwards, I used the Vitale Super Intensive Treatment which had a very, very nice cooling sensation due to the menthol. I absolutely adored this. My scalp was like the botanicals commercials (that good):lol: . Again,thanks ladies.

czyfaith77 said:
I thank everyone for your responses. I decided to relax today. I was experiencing a little shedding/breakage. I tried Vitale Life and Body, first lye relaxer in years. I was scared at first but, I ended up really liking it. Before the relaxer application, I used the Vitale Foundation Pre-conditioner I didn't burn at all. The only thing is that I think next time I will get the one for coarse hair. Overall, it was still good. My hair never felt this soft after a no-lye, so lye it is. I have to play with the formulas to find which one is best for me. Afterwards, I used the Vitale Super Intensive Treatment which had a very, very nice cooling sensation due to the menthol. I absolutely adored this. My scalp was like the botanicals commercials (that good):lol: . Again,thanks ladies.

Faith how long did u leave it on?

Back