Long time naturals, what's your method of success?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am working on remaining natural, but I feel like giving in at times due to my lack of styling skills. :ohwell: Can you long time natural sistas give me any tips on how YOU made a successful natural jouney? I feel like a failure because all I do is wash n gos. I have to use alot of gel to do this. Please help me help myself.:lol:

Not a styling suggestion, but here goes-Staying out of my head by not pulling and stretching everyday to see if it's grown. A watched pot never boils! Let your hair surprise you one day.

I haven't been natural for that long but when I had a TWA, I enjoyed my TWA stage w. the wash/shake/gos. Now, I'm having fun w. twists! I say, just take it one day at a time....take the time to learn and enjoy your hair! Take time to browse through natural albums or natural hair photos and try to practice some of the styles. Just remember that practice makes perfect....you have to start somewhere! ;)

I'm kinda challenged in the styling department too--I usually only wear twists. BUT I love me some pretty scarves and hats, especially in the winter time.....or when I don't feel like doing my hair. I'm also finding out that it looks its best when I just keep it moisterized and let it do it's thing--grows better too.

DDtexlaxd said:
I am working on remaining natural, but I feel like giving in at times due to my lack of styling skills. :ohwell: Can you long time natural sistas give me any tips on how YOU made a successful natural jouney? I feel like a failure because all I do is wash n gos. I have to use alot of gel to do this. Please help me help myself.:lol:

Hey DDtexlaxd i m natural 4b and i got tired of the wash and go. what i do now i twist my whole head for a week, then cowash on saturday and redo my twists that same night. at night i wear a satin bonnet. I usually stay in my twists and do nothing to it. If i have to go out on a couple days i do a twistout and the same night retwist till i have to go out sometimes i would untwist the whole week in the morning and retwist at night but most of the times i stay in them and saturday cowash. That s the best method i find to enjoy my natural journey. My hair never bothers me and nothing to detangle cause i have the best protective styles that dont hurt my hairline like the cornrows and as my hair grows longer i can keep doing twists and just wash the hair once a week and i dont need a stylist to maintain the hair for now:p ;)

I'm almost a year ino my second natural journey but this time I am letting it grow out. I'm lazy, so a wash n go is my signature style. I am starting to wear scarves and other accessories to spice things up a bit, but that's about it. I've tried a twist out, it didn't work, need more practice, but basically I let my hair do it's thing. :)

3 years natural here and counting. My latest thing is rollersets. If I haven't done a rollerset, I'm usually sporting a bun. In the beginning of my transition I did mostly puffs and occasional french braids. I felt like giving up many times in the beginning too, but I'm glad I stuck it out ,the results have been worth it. My hair is thriving and has never been healthier than it is now. Good luck on your journey.

ekomba said:
Hey DDtexlaxd i m natural 4b and i got tired of the wash and go. what i do now i twist my whole head for a week, then cowash on saturday and redo my twists that same night. at night i wear a satin bonnet. I usually stay in my twists and do nothing to it. If i have to go out on a couple days i do a twistout and the same night retwist till i have to go out sometimes i would untwist the whole week in the morning and retwist at night but most of the times i stay in them and saturday cowash. That s the best method i find to enjoy my natural journey. My hair never bothers me and nothing to detangle cause i have the best protective styles that dont hurt my hairline like the cornrows and as my hair grows longer i can keep doing twists and just wash the hair once a week and i dont need a stylist to maintain the hair for now:p ;)

This is EXACTLY what I do, too! I wear twists for a week, co-wash on the weekend, and put them back in. If I have to go out I wear a twist out, then back to twists. :lol: I love it, it's so low-maintenance. I wish I could get my twists to last longer than a week though.:ohwell:

i don't know how long your hair is but when my hair was shorter and didn't look right in twists, i liked to wear finger coils! The ones i had in lasted about 2 weeks. But i agree with the others, twists are very versatile. I recently have been curling my twists on rollers to spice them up a bit.

I have been natural forever and am one of those people who gets bored very quick w/ hairstyles...

I don't like to wear my twists down cause they are not the length I want yet...so what I taught myself to do was flat twist very well

I wash my hair once a week and make up various ways to do updos...
I flat twist the back of my hair up (creating different kinda part styles...then I twist the front really small cause my hair is thick... then all I have to do through the week is twist the twists I've untwisted that day..spritz and tie my hair up for a frizz free tomorrow. Sometimes on the weekends I will wear a twist iut before I wsh my hair again. A twist out is my only out style..I don't do puffs or fro's ..my hair doesn't like that

This has helped me to stop worrying about length...and what I found in the process was how to take care of my hair and what it likes...and it is the healthiest it has ever been in my life...

Simple stying and loads of moisture! :)

I wear my hair up in a bun or back in two braids 90% of the time. I wash often and use a good leave in (Humectress, Aveda Elixir, ect...) on my wet hair and always use natural oils and butters to seal in the moisture.

Avoiding heat and cutting off all of the damaged areas has helped my hair immensely.

For success? I wouldn't call my head a success but my secret is... I stopped worrying about my hair. I just let it do it's thing and I try to be as gentle with it as I can. half the time I just wash it and roll and everyday it looks different and I love it. Loving it is 99% of the dang battle I swear. :D

jasmine26 said:
i don't know how long your hair is but when my hair was shorter and didn't look right in twists, i liked to wear finger coils! The ones i had in lasted about 2 weeks. But i agree with the others, twists are very versatile. I recently have been curling my twists on rollers to spice them up a bit.

Finger coils? How do you do them?:D I'm still twist challenged because my hair is soo thick! I can't get it to look the way I want.:lol:

Back