Long Streches

LadyCee

For those of you guys that strech quite long whether it be from 12 and further on...
how do you manage your hair during the streches?

wats specific products do you use?

do you experience breakge/shedding?

when do you know it is time to relax?

what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)?

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches?

any other comments/questions or advices add on here...

thanx all.:D

how do you manage your hair during the streches? I moisturize and seal with oil

wats specific products do you use? NTM, BB moisturize, and olive oil
do you experience breakge/shedding? NO

when do you know it is time to relax? For me when their is a lot of newgrowth, or 14 or more weeks have passed
what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)? Thicker fuller hair, and healthier ends

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches? Stretch a little at a time, if you are new to it, moisturize often, listen to you hair

any other comments/questions or advices add on here... handle your hair gently, your progress will come

My approach to stretching may not be an option for some. But, I have decided to primarily do C&G while I learn/train my hair. So, I am only going to wear my hair "down" from weeks 1-4 (or 5 )of my touch-up. The remainder of my stretch I am going to wear braid/cornrow styles. I am in the beginning stages of compiling a portfolio of different protective styles so I can have a clean professional look during the work week.

I use a mixture of Braid Spray or CFCG, Infusion 23, glycerin and water while I am in braids. For weeks after a fresh relaxer, Lacio Lacio, NTM and BB Growth Lotion works well on my hair.

No, because I am in braids/cornrows most of the time.

I have set my time at 14-16 weeks. If I was wearing my hair "down" all the time I couldn't go that long. I don't know how to manage my new growth yet. But, I plan to learn over the next year or two.

My primary reason is I want a full healthy head of hair. I also want to retain length and that has been one of my main problems.

Listen to your hair. And, try to find products that will keep your hair moisturized.

myztiquecleo said:
For those of you guys that strech quite long whether it be from 12 and further on...
how do you manage your hair during the streches? I am at about 15 weeks and I have been doing a lot of cw's.

wats specific products do you use? I love Silicon Mix. This one product alone has allowed me to stretch this long. It really softens that ng.

do you experience breakge/shedding? I have not so far. My hair did feel a little rough after I did this Shikakai trtmt. but I just amped up the condish.

when do you know it is time to relax? I know that now is a good time 'cuz my stuff is starting to look out of control for real and you can see obviously where my hair is relaxed and natural. Not a pretty look!:look:

what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)? I want to see obvious length when I relax.

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches? Keep it conditioned. Wash and condition more than normal.

any other comments/questions or advices add on here...Like someone else said..it is addictive!

Good luck!

ETA: I am starting to experience some breakage and must relax ASAP. This is at the demarcation line.

Last edited:
I am very gentle with it. I currently wear weaves most of the time. If I'm not weaved then I wear my hair in a bun.

I use BRX braid spray to moisturize my hair and oil while it's weaved. When it's not weaved I'll use some waterbased cream and then use an oil to seal. I also use S-curl sometimes. It's great for softening the new growth. I use moisturizing conditioners and some protein too. Make sure you use a conditioner with a lot of slip before your final rinse when you wash/condition your hair.

Not much. Just normal shedding. You just have to be very patient and handle your hair very carefully. It also helps that I'm texlaxed so there isn't as stark a difference between my new growth and my relaxed hair.

When I choose too. At this point now that I've learned to stretch (I've stretched for as long as 5 months), I feel that I can stretch forever if I wanted too. You just have to learn what products, techniqes, styles to wear to help you get through your stretch. I think LiLi stretched for up to 2 years at one point, and she attributed that to using the Paul Mitchell Skinny Line.

So that I don't overlap my relaxer. It's also cheaper to relax less often. My head and scalp are now exposed to the harsh relaxer chemicals only 3-4 times per year instead of 9-10 (when I was relaxing every 5-6 weeks). Also it's nice to see the length that my hair has accumulated after months of stretching as opposed to just a few weeks.

The best piece of advice I can give those that are learning to stretch, just try stretching week by week. Don't say I'm going to try to stretch 15 weeks off the bat. Instead try stretching only 1-2 weeks longer than you normally do and then work your way up from there.

HTH

how do you manage your hair during the streches? Dom. blowouts or braids or twists

wats specific products do you use? Dominican and Indian products, Silicon Mix and Amla Oil

do you experience breakge/shedding? Yes that is when I get my braids or bun it up

when do you know it is time to relax? When I can't handle the NG and the different textures in my hair

what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)? To combat the fine/coarse textures and less relaxers on my hair during the year and healthy hair

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches? Deep condition and moisturize your hair

any other comments/questions or advices add on here...none at the time

how do you manage your hair during the streches? mostly i do rollersets, but i am trying airdrying for a little while

wats specific products do you use? motions shampoos and conditioners, cantu leave in, natural oasis oil

do you experience breakge/shedding? yes. i'm always amazed at the people who lose no hair or just a few pieces. It seems like I've always had to constantly clean up hair off the floor, even now that i treat my hair more carefully. i don't know if this is just normal for me or if i'm still doing something wrong. :confused:

when do you know it is time to relax? when the new growth is so thick that i can not do anything with it

what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)? avoid relaxer overlap damage

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches? don't give up on them to soon. it seems impossibe at first, especially when you're used to touch-ups every 6-8 weeks. But if you add on one week more each time you can get the hang of it.

any other comments/questions or advices add on here...stretches+protective styles=longer, healthier hair

All the given advice is good.

What helps me is combing while in the shower under running water and not while the hair is dry.

how do you manage your hair during the streches? I wash every three days. Wear protective styles

wats specific products do you use? motions shampoo and NTM Shampoo, UBH Deep Condish, Mango Butter for my edges, NTM Leave in and Amla Oil to seal

do you experience breakge/shedding? Somewhat. Not as much as in the beginning of my stretch. This is my first stretch and I had to test a lot of things out there. So far I notice I CANNOT comb while under the shower. I comb my hair out BEFORE getting into the shower with this spray from Pantene. It is a detangling spray (don't remember the exact name. Sorry) I spray my new growth to DEATH with it and it works wonders! Then I just go and wash and deep condish and DO NOT COMB until it is time for me to wash again and THEN I will comb out my newgrowth.

when do you know it is time to relax? Well I think I should be getting one now:lol: But my next relaxer will be on the 29th of July. Next time I stretch will be for 8 weeks and then I will add a week each time. I made the mistake making my first stretch 3 months. Big mistake for me not knowing how to handle my new growth!

what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)? avoid relaxer overlap damage and thicken up hair

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches? Do a little at a time.

any other comments/questions or advices add on here...Do not give up!

myztiquecleo said:
how do you manage your hair during the streches?keeping it moisturized is the key

wats specific products do you use?herbal essence's breaks over creme,JBCO,UBH

do you experience breakge/shedding?both..it's part of it:ohwell:

when do you know it is time to relax?I try not to go longer in stretching for more than 12-16 weeks

what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)?my hair is stronger and thicker...leaving me with much volume

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches?it's not for everyone...let your hair decide what it likes:)

any other comments/questions or advices add on here...Happy Hair Growing

my answers are in bolded above!!;)

how do you manage your hair during the streches? I wear my hair up, no combing, washing twice a week and DCing once a week, detangle only when my hair is dry w/ oil and moisturizer, rollersetting, scarfs, protecting my ends so I dont have to trim, and trying not to stress over it

whats specific products do you use? aveda dr line to help w/ breakage, aveda smooth infusion for moisture, ors hair mayo DC, aveda smoothing fluid for rollersetting it does wonders, wave nouveau on my new growth the night before a wash, jojoba oil and EVOO oil, and ORS olive oil

do you experience breakge/shedding? I personally dont think that shedding has anything to do w/ stretching. Your hair naturally sheds so stretching or not you are always going to get some shed hairs. I think that when stretching you deal w/ breakage which yes I have had some no more than usually but I do get breakage when I detangle. Tangles is another thing you deal w/. I dont ever use a comb (only when rollersetting but I start at the ends and dont comb the roots) I detangle w/ my fingers. Dry hair is also another thing I deal w/ when stretching. My ends are way different than my NG so I have to use other products to help w/ my dry NG.

when do you know it is time to relax? I try to set a time frame. Like this time I wanted to go 6mos but since I am moving Aug 1st was the only time I could get home. That will make it 5 1/2mos for me. I probably should of relaxed a long time ago w/ my head looking all crazy:lachen: but I am able to deal w/ it and I can tell a huge difference in my hair so I am willing to go this long w/o a relaxer

what is your ultimate reason for streches(benefits)? Want to get to the point where I dont have to rely on a relaxer and that hopefully relax 2-3 times a year. My hair has thickened up tremendously so that right there makes me want to stretch all the time.

what are your advices for people on the journey of longer streches? Start off w/ adding a couple weeks at a time and during those weeks experiement with different products that way you know next time hey I can go longer if I just use this or did this. Also patience...I am very patient w/ my hair and set aside time when I need to detangle and fix my hair.

any other comments/questions or advices add on here...

Back