long dreads down to the knees vs: other heads of hair- care methods

meia

hey everyone..

i was walking in the street today and i saw a woman with knee length dreads- this wasnt the first time i saw this in person or even in a picture...anyways, i was thinking- in order to grow such long healthy dreads what do they do differently than women with natural/transitioning hair?

The routine looks similar to having regular non locked hair...i do know some use shea butter and it claims to "help the hair grow"...hmmm im starting to wonder if the same can be possible for other heads of hair like transitioning ladies? Since there is a good portion of hair that is natural on a transitioning head, what could be the difference? couldnt similar routines be implemented on a different head of hair maybe?

take a look at this ebay link... http://cgi.ebay.com/SenegalStyle-Djembe-AFRICAN-SHEA-BUTTER-GROWS-HAIR_W0QQitemZ5636555454QQcategoryZ31413QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

im wondering if thats what does the growth thing or less manipulation or less
harder styling aids...hmmm could we apply the same technique? does anyone
think this will work for those of us with texturized or natural heads to increase
growth (apart from obvious genetics)- would any of the same dread lock
care methods encourage healthy growth?

tell me what yall think!
meia

The reason why their dreads are so long is because they are holding on to every strand of hair.

Shedding is normal. All mammals shedd hair.

If your hair never shedds, never breaks, and you never trim, it's just gonna get longer and longer and longer.

Sheabutter does nothing. It doesn't make your hair grow.
It'll give you some buttery hair and scalp, but that's it.

Last edited:
Not just that... but all of those hairs aren't attached to the scalp... when you have dreads... the hair is wrapped up shed or not. so... all of that length probably doesn't represent the actual hair attached to the head.

Thursdaygirl- ohhhh! I had always wondered how that worked...so whatever hair- be it shed hair and regular hair are wrapped into each dreadlock? I wouldnt have guessed!I remember looking for shea butter and reading her online sale and i was quite skeptical but it makes sense now that i think about it..also im sure different things work for different people anyways..

CatSuga- Im definitely glad that you both answered me...I never really knew much about dreads..always thought they were beautiful but didnt know much at all..Im glad to find out the truth about everything instead of assuming to myself what seemed right and what didnt..

THANK YOU BOTH FOR REPLYING!

How is it possible for shedded hair to "attached" to hair, I think there is some truth to this method but some faults as well. I feel that the true length of the dred is represented because thing about this...when we braid our hair for growth and take out the fake (kanakelon) hair isn't the hair left over (natural hair) our actual length? I mean look at the C & G method. I've removed dreds for my clients who have back length dreds and I was able to save 95% of the length, BTW the dreds were 5 years old, after that it is difficult if not impossible to remove dreds older than 6 years old (depending on one's texture). It can be done, that's why I don't completely believe that dreds don't represent actual length. I believe such great length was achieved by leaving the hair alone. JMO.;)

Alli77 said:
How is it possible for shedded hair to "attached" to hair, I think there is some truth to this method but some faults as well.
I think you are right. Reason being is that I have noticed and have seen stated that those who have had locks and have taken them out, the length is usually the same as their locked hair length.

Alli77 said:
How is it possible for shedded hair to "attached" to hair, I think there is some truth to this method but some faults as well. I feel that the true length of the dred is represented because thing about this...when we braid our hair for growth and take out the fake (kanakelon) hair isn't the hair left over (natural hair) our actual length? I mean look at the C & G method. I've removed dreds for my clients who have back length dreds and I was able to save 95% of the length, BTW the dreds were 5 years old, after that it is difficult if not impossible to remove dreds older than 6 years old (depending on one's texture). It can be done, that's why I don't completely believe that dreds don't represent actual length. I believe such great length was achieved by leaving the hair alone. JMO.;)

When I said attached hair, I meant hair that was still attached to the scalp. When you retwist your hair, hair that has been shed can and usually does become part of the dred, just like the stuff attached to your head. I have seen dreads that have been taken down and the hair is long, just as you said...but I have never seen knee length ones removed-usually they are mid-back or shorter.

I think you're right though, hair can definitely grow longer when it isn't manipulated.

ThursdayGirl said:
When I said attached hair, I meant hair that was still attached to the scalp. When you retwist your hair, hair that has been shed can and usually does become part of the dred, just like the stuff attached to your head. I have seen dreads that have been taken down and the hair is long, just as you said...but I have never seen knee length ones removed-usually they are mid-back or shorter.

I think you're right though, hair can definitely grow longer when it isn't manipulated.

Yeah, I've never seen knee length dreds taken out, could you imagine how time consuming that would be? I would Never do that!

Last edited:
I guess it may depend b/c I know someone who just took down fully locked hair her teen daughter. (first time I had even heard of this..)

she did it over the course of about a week and she just really conditioned her hair and soaked it in olive oil and started taking them down. When she was finished she did not have to cut off alot in split ends either! Once all of her hair was down she conditioned and used natural oils and shea on her and her hair looked great!

Lady_Lioness said:
This is exactly what I thought too:confused:

No, it's just a myth. You CAN remove dreads without cutting them off. There are several methods although they are all rather time consuming...I used to use this product when I removed my braids, after having them in for like 4 months but the product is actually intended for dreadlock removal. www.knottyboy.com/shop/dreadlock_removal_ and this product is excellent as well http://www.millresources.com/takedown/takedown.htm.

Last edited:
ThursdayGirl said:
Not just that... but all of those hairs aren't attached to the scalp... when you have dreads... the hair is wrapped up shed or not. so... all of that length probably doesn't represent the actual hair attached to the head.

:eek: okay.....is anyone else grossed out by this concept? I mean, isn't there a reason the hair sheds? Why willingly hold on to hair that is not even attached anymore? :ohwell:

CantBeCopied said:
:eek: okay.....is anyone else grossed out by this concept? I mean, isn't there a reason the hair sheds? Why willingly hold on to hair that is not even attached anymore? :ohwell:

Its just part of the hairstyle. Think about it you're winding the hair around itself to make it lock. You don't comb it out between your retwisting... so yes... some of the hair that you shed gets locked up with the stuff that's still attached. it sounds gross... but it doesn't look bad. Well cultivated locks are really pretty.

I also thought that some "extra" hair was added. I know someone who had fake hair added to her dreads. I'm not sure if that is common though.

The same thing I always thought, I know I wouldn't want to be the one removing them. ewwwww they just look so creepy and nasty, and just unclean, not to offend anyone. JMO
NewYorkgyrl said:
I thought the only way you can take out dreads was to cut it off?

BeautifulWideEyes said:
The same thing I always thought, I know I wouldn't want to be the one removing them. ewwwww they just look so creepy and nasty, and just unclean, not to offend anyone. JMO
Wow.

I don't see anything creepy or nasty about her hair:
goapele1.jpg

Relax or any other non-locked style doesn't get a pass for being automatically clean.

Ask her for one of her dreads and cut it open down the middle then tell me if you see anything creepy or nasty about it, the appearence may be nice to you or anyone else, but the overall cleanliness of most of them are not. One time at a healthy event they asked a sister if they could use one of her dreads to demonstrate w/to show how it holds alot of everything (to sum it up) over time and when they cut down the middle all this stuff fell out, now did they look good, did she proper care for, who knows, but that was nasty and ever since then that's all I remember. and like i said not to offend anyone, JMO, MHO.
EbonyF said:
Wow.

goapele1.jpg

Relax or any other non-locked style doesn't get a pass for being automatically clean.

EbonyF said:
Wow.

goapele1.jpg

her locs are beautiful!

BeautifulWideEyes said:
Ask her for one of her dreads and cut it open down the middle then tell me if you see anything creepy or nasty about it, the appearence may be nice to you or anyone else, but the overall cleanliness of most of them are not. One time at a healthy event they asked a sister if they could use one of her dreads to demonstrate w/to show how it holds alot of everything (to sum it up) over time and when they cut down the middle all this stuff fell out, now did they look good, did she proper care for, who knows, but that was nasty and ever since then that's all I remember. and like i said not to offend anyone, JMO, MHO.

I'm going to have to co-sign on this one. I've read loc and loc-ing threads on another board and one thing that folks agree is that lint and other 'particles' are a huge problem no matter how clean or aesthetically pleasing the locs are.

Loc lover, groomer, remover, et cetera here. I've done everything when it comes to locing except grow them on my own head.

So yes, they can be removed. And yes, there is a lot of healthy hair under the outer "cocoon" of shed hair, but no, it's not going to be the same exact length.

And yes, locs have a "core". That's just part of locing. There are ways around core or ways of minimizing it. Latching is one means. Clarifying helps. But the core is usually there and works as the stabilizing rod for the loc. Pick it loose and the loc usually falls apart or weakens.

My sister has beautiful waist length locs that are an AWESOME sight to behold. She's also a beautiful woman. Get close to em and you feel like you're looking at a microcosm. Locs are like tightly woven baskets letting little out of their snare. I think coloring of locs abounds amongst the wearers for that reason. However, there's nothing unclean about them. I don't even know what the point of the public loc decoring (mentioned above) was. I hope it wasn't to turn sisters away from locing.

Tell you what, it really is the ultimate protective hairstyle. When I've taken locs down, I've discovered strong, sheeny hair underneath.

Enough on that subject.
P1

in my personal opinion i think it can go either way..ive seen beautifully TAKEN CARE OFF locs... they were very simple and nice looking and looked healthy...on the the other hand, ive seen ones where you can see sh*t stuck in the hair and the dreads..and the person didnt even take the time to remove those little pieces of lint and other things..

i think if its taken care of, if all those little pieces of nasty things are removed locs can be beautiful and definitely something to be proud of-- sometimes with the people where theyve got little particles of i dont even know whats in their hair, sometimes i want to take a razor and shave it off...

theres this guy that works in the city that i travel back and forth too..hes caucasian and he doesnt take care of his locs...they are all different sizes (some are too too chunky and others are thin) and there are crumbs or crust in them...nasty! and that just makes HIM look dirty and unclean!!

patient1 said:
Loc lover, groomer, remover, et cetera here. I've done everything when it comes to locing except grow them on my own head.

So yes, they can be removed. And yes, there is a lot of healthy hair under the outer "cocoon" of shed hair, but no, it's not going to be the same exact length.

And yes, locs have a "core". That's just part of locing. There are ways around core or ways of minimizing it. Latching is one means. Clarifying helps. But the core is usually there and works as the stabilizing rod for the loc. Pick it loose and the loc usually falls apart or weakens.

My sister has beautiful waist length locs that are an AWESOME sight to behold. She's also a beautiful woman. Get close to em and you feel like you're looking at a microcosm. Locs are like tightly woven baskets letting little out of their snare. I think coloring of locs abounds amongst the wearers for that reason. However, there's nothing unclean about them. I don't even know what the point of the public loc decoring (mentioned above) was. I hope it wasn't to turn sisters away from locing.

Tell you what, it really is the ultimate protective hairstyle. When I've taken locs down, I've discovered strong, sheeny hair underneath.

Enough on that subject.
P1

Thank you! Locks like natural hair can be both beautiful and ugly. It all depends on the individual. If the person takes care of the locs then they are truely amazing. Remember Lauryn Hill's locks...gorgeous! And the thing is you can style locks in so many ways today, crinkles, curls, faux hawk dreads, colors it goes on...so I say, please keep an open mind about dred styles because they are IMO beautiful! I will be updating my album with w/loc styles that I do that are gorgeous!

meia said:
in my personal opinion i think it can go either way..ive seen beautifully TAKEN CARE OFF locs... they were very simple and nice looking and looked healthy...on the the other hand, ive seen ones where you can see sh*t stuck in the hair and the dreads..and the person didnt even take the time to remove those little pieces of lint and other things..

i think if its taken care of, if all those little pieces of nasty things are removed locs can be beautiful and definitely something to be proud of-- sometimes with the people where theyve got little particles of i dont even know whats in their hair, sometimes i want to take a razor and shave it off...

theres this guy that works in the city that i travel back and forth too..hes caucasian and he doesnt take care of his locs...they are all different sizes (some are too too chunky and others are thin) and there are crumbs or crust in them...nasty! and that just makes HIM look dirty and unclean!!

So true! I take care of a friend of mine's locks and we've never had a problem with lint! It's all about maintenance and proper care! Some people think that having dreds/braids=carefree hair. Not so, you have to put even more of an effort into them so that they look and smell great and don't break off.

kitchen_tician said:
I also thought that some "extra" hair was added. I know someone who had fake hair added to her dreads. I'm not sure if that is common though.

Yeah, you can have fake hair or even human hair added to dreds. It's called dreadlock extensions, it's for impatient people who don't want to grow out the dreads naturally.

check out these beautiful locked styles called sisterlocks! I plan on growing to waistlength and maybe in the future get sisterlocks! THey are gorgeous!

Dr.CBackKneeupCrop2.jpg

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I think it's offensive to say something is nasty and gross. I think simply stating "you don't like locks" is efficient enough.

Plus the pictures I posted of Goapele, you have no idea of how she grooms her locks. Usually the CORE is from the use of beeswax. But not every locked person uses beeswax. Also latching is a great way to prevent a core.

Heck why not approach any unlocked person who uses grease, BLACK gel, pomade, etc and see what kind of things are in their head. Or some un-locked people who only wash their every month or two. They also attract lint and have scalp problems.

I'm sorry but you are making it seem that locks are AUTOMATICALLY "gross" and "nasty" and that is not true.

But like they say: Roses really smell like boo boo. So don't be fooled madam.

patient1 said:
However, there's nothing unclean about them. I don't even know what the point of the public loc decoring (mentioned above) was. I hope it wasn't to turn sisters away from locing.
Exactly! A simple "I don't like locs" or "I don't like them on me" who have been better.

Back