Loc takedown to BKT questions.....

Mecca_Goddess

Hello All,

I am in the final stages of my lock takedown and I am about 85% positive that I will be doing a BKT. I've decided (after MUCH research) that I will use QOD Gold as my brand (although I have not purchased yet).

I have read that BKT works best on hair that is damaged. I would not say that I have much damage, but I think my hair will need all the reinforcement it can get after all the manipulation of the takedown process.

After I have completed the takedown I will be doing a thourogh pre-poo, shampoo, condition and overnight DC.

I have watched several you tube tutorials on the BKT process and have read MANY threads here on LHCF regarding steps, precautions and tips.....

The method I plan to use is as follows:

1. Clarifying shampoo (2 times)
2. Air dry by stretching overnight
3. Mist with water in spray bottle to slightly dampen and use tension mention to stretch while blow drying.
4. Apply QOD Gold using the 'shingling' method
5. Use tension method to dry product in
6. Flat iron using the 'comb chase' method.

Have I missed anything? Are there any other considerations I need to make????

I am sooooo EXCITED!!!!!!

There are plenty BKT threads and posts here at LHCF. Just type in BKT or Brazillian Keratin in the LHCF search box. A lot of archived info waiting for you. Good Luck!:yep:

Mecca Goddess, as someone who has had several BKT's, it looks to me as though you've got all your ducks in a row as far as planning. I don't think I'd change a thing; just remember to really baby your hair after the clarifying because it's really delicate in that state.

Mecca Goddess, as someone who has had several BKT's, it looks to me as though you've got all your ducks in a row as far as planning. I don't think I'd change a thing; just remember to really baby your hair after the clarifying because it's really delicate in that state.

Thanks for such great feedback MarieB!

I def. want to make sure I have everything in order, but you are very right about being gentle after clarifying....

That is the only part of it all the really makes me nervous :perplexed

you can use a moisturizing poo after you clarify for a lil bit of softness. it's what i did this past time.

as for it working best on damaged hair, it's really better to bkt on healthier hair, because if one day you decide you don't wanna do it anymore, when it wears off, that damage will be exposed again.

it's good for gradually growing out damage, but to repair it, no.

you can use a moisturizing poo after you clarify for a lil bit of softness. it's what i did this past time.

as for it working best on damaged hair, it's really better to bkt on healthier hair, because if one day you decide you don't wanna do it anymore, when it wears off, that damage will be exposed again.

it's good for gradually growing out damage, but to repair it, no.

Thanks! I think I may consider using a moisturizing shampoo for my 2nd wash...

You make a good point, but when speaking of "damage" I was more so thinking of reinforcing my hair. I know there is nothing that can "repair" damaged hair.

ok, 'cause i know when i first started researching, i thought it was the almighty answer for breakage.

Back