living together prior to marriage...

PeopleTalkDaily

how do you break down household bills and etc when you live together?

I personally think money should be kept apart others have told me you can
get a household account?

I just wanted a few of the ladies that are living with with there SO share how they handle certain things...

I looked for answers in the other thread girl, wife are they all the same and really didn't see an exact answer to it..

When my husband and I lived together before marriage, we kept our accounts separate and he paid the rent/mortgage and I covered all the household bills (cable, electric, gas, water/sewer, our car insurance, phone, groceries etc).

When my husband and I lived together before marriage, we kept our accounts separate and he paid the rent/mortgage and I covered all the household bills (cable, electric, gas, water/sewer, our car insurance, phone, groceries etc).

I am currently doing this! Seems to work so far...:look:

We have been living together for awhile and in the beginning I payed rent and he payed for everything else. Now since has another job and not making as much he gives me certain amount for bills every check. It works for us.

In the beginning we split the rent 50/50. He made more money, so he also paid all utilities. We split the groceries.

When I was not in with God I did the live in thing..bc I was better with money I had access to his account and paid the bills and divided it up enough to where household expense such as food would be covered when I wasn't working..when I started working I payed like alot of the ladies the basics lights,phone,groceries and he paid the big bills car,rent,lights..

We have separate accounts. I pay my own bills (cellphone, car note/Insurance, etc) and a portion of the rent. He takes care of everything else (internet, dtv, electric, gas, groceries, larger portion of rent, etc) - he does make more than I do so therefore he pays more lol.

I do all the cooking (or else he'd starve) and cleaning. I don't want a joint account even if we get married (still not really ready to let go of my independance).

I've lived with boyfriends before and it doens't bother me.

right now, he pays everything and I'm banking for the wedding. ( I do purchase the groceries and other household items) After the wedding/honeymoon, everything will go to one account and we will budget accordingly

I don't live with an SO. But one of my friends does. And they split it so that she pays the rent and he pays everything else (cell phones, car note, car insurance, groceries, credit card bills, student loans). They save part of the left over and split part of it for discretionary spending.

Everyone's relationship is different. You know your man, you know how he and you really are, so what works for some people may not work for you.

I think it is generally a bad idea to live together, unless you are getting married soon.

But if you do, I would advise to keep your finance separate and split the bills. One can pay more than the other does according to income.

I just think you should not make big changes with your finances without being married.

We've lived together for about 11 years. He pays for everything, I'm in school and am not working. It works out though since I paid for everything while he was in school.

Ditto....Except we pay our own car insurance..

We've lived together for about 11 years. He pays for everything, I'm in school and am not working. It works out though since I paid for everything while he was in school.

Same here. I'm currently a non-working student. He pays the bills and furnishes an allowance. I cook and do laundry :yep:

Everyone's relationship is different. You know your man, you know how he and you really are, so what works for some people may not work for you.

I think it is generally a bad idea to live together, unless you are getting married soon.

But if you do, I would advise to keep your finance separate and split the bills. One can pay more than the other does according to income.

I just think you should not make big changes with your finances without being married.

I agree.

Before we were married we lived together, he made alot more money than I did, so he paid most of the bills and I took care of groceries.

We moved in together shortly after we got engage, but we kept our finances separate until after the wedding. We split the bills down the middle (mortgage, utilities, groceries, etc…) and it wasn’t a strain at all. In fact we both saved more money because we both lived by ourselves prior to moving in together. We bought a car together a few months later because we needed to and we both contributed to the car payment. We stayed on our own car insurance until after the wedding.

Same here. I'm currently a non-working student. He pays the bills and furnishes an allowance. I cook and do laundry :yep:

Same here, I'm in charge of cooking and laundry. He doesn't care if I do or not, he's ok with coming home and hearing me say "Hey, I didn't feel like cooking, there's cold cuts in the fridge"

About the bills, I take care of those. His paycheck automatically goes into our joint account, and I'm in charge of making sure everything is taken care of, setting some aside for savings, and budgeting.

I also tell him when we're running low on funds, so I let him know when he should take lunch instead of buying it and when he's allowed to go out drinking with his friends or not.

He doesn't mind that I squirrel away "just in case you run out on me" money. My mother raised me to cover my @ss in terms of men and finances. He knew this about me before we lived together so he doesn't ask questions about it. I should mention, that he was raised by a single mom and a grandma, so he really doesn't have a problem with a woman being in charge of the finances.

Back