Living apart in early years of marriage...

angenoir

Just wanted to ask if any you ladies have had to live apart from your DH in the early years of marriage (eg from the first year of marriage) due to professional reasons or school...

If so..:
How far apart did you live?
How did you cope and did you feel like it really affected the relationship negatively?

TIA

PS- Just asking:look:

The first few months of marriage, DH was deployed... so I didn't see him for like... 6 months.

I was cool with it and I think it helped because we were dealing with things and it gave us space to recoup. But we had a long-distance relationship for over 50% of our courtship.

My DH and I got married in Oct 04. I was 21 and he was 26. We both were active duty Navy and got married when he was stationed in MD and I was stationed in NC (we met when I was stationed in MD). (Saw each other every weekend by meeting in VA - 2.5hr drive for both of us).

It was easy while we were dating and during the early months in our marriage. I got pregnant with DD #1 soon after getting married and I think my hormones caused me to be stressed by the distance.

I got relocated to VA when I was 5mo pregnant and my DH got relocated to VA when our DD was 8mo. Things were better once he got there. I think my issue was that we were starting a family together, but didn't live together

Thanks for the responses. I am asking because with my crazy job this is be a real possibility for me.
I guess sometimes I just wonder whether its worth pursuing a deeper relationship when I know that the situation may involve living apart for a while.

Well personally speaking... online dating can put you at an advantage.

If you're sick of men trying to turn every date into an invitation for sex, then all the horny ones will usually give up when you refuse to "come over and chill." Additionally, the ones who stay are forced to keep up a stimulating conversation with me and build a connection over the net, something that is not simple to do. DH could stay online with me for like 8 -10 hours straight on several occaisions... and we had webcams to add to the experience. By the time he saw me, I was 95% convinced we were a match.

Now... in your case, it may feel like a strain, but the truth is, if you have things to do and can use your time wisely while you're away, yet still provide opportunities to see him at least every 2 or 3 months, then you'll be okay. The biggest problem with LD relationships, IMHO, is that people feel they need to have immediate access to that other person whenever they need it, physically. Truthfully speaking if a person loves and is there for you, they'll be there when you need it, even if it's across the world.

Now OP your situation is not military-related. That's a plus.... but I have a military spouse and I had to deal with times he couldn't be there due to work but the second he was free, he would contact me. As long as you're flexible, you'll be fine. Flexible to the relationship.... and the type of relationship it is.... flexible to the plans and flexible in how you date.

Thanks so much LaurynDoll! Great advice!
Well personally speaking... online dating can put you at an advantage.

If you're sick of men trying to turn every date into an invitation for sex, then all the horny ones will usually give up when you refuse to "come over and chill." Additionally, the ones who stay are forced to keep up a stimulating conversation with me and build a connection over the net, something that is not simple to do. DH could stay online with me for like 8 -10 hours straight on several occaisions... and we had webcams to add to the experience. By the time he saw me, I was 95% convinced we were a match.

Now... in your case, it may feel like a strain, but the truth is, if you have things to do and can use your time wisely while you're away, yet still provide opportunities to see him at least every 2 or 3 months, then you'll be okay. The biggest problem with LD relationships, IMHO, is that people feel they need to have immediate access to that other person whenever they need it, physically. Truthfully speaking if a person loves and is there for you, they'll be there when you need it, even if it's across the world.

Now OP your situation is not military-related. That's a plus.... but I have a military spouse and I had to deal with times he couldn't be there due to work but the second he was free, he would contact me. As long as you're flexible, you'll be fine. Flexible to the relationship.... and the type of relationship it is.... flexible to the plans and flexible in how you date.

Back