Little kids and weave...

I often visit the school where my cousin works with an after school program.. SERIOUSLY..it's ridiculous the amount of curly sew-ins. and braided extensions I see on these little girls.. EDGES GONE...all I can do is blink and be amazed. Mind u these kids are in range from kindergarten to maybe 5th grade... age 13 and up.. I dont see a problem with an OCCASSIONAL weave or braids.. but on an all the time basis that's a NO NO .. I dont have kids so I do not know what flows through the mind of a parent..however..that's a big NO..

OMG I'm so glad that you started this thread OP because there is this crazy pic that has been circulating on twitter that I have been meaning to post up on here SMDH

lol-1.jpg

I can't even believe someone would put a lace front on their child..its absolutely rediculous whether it is a joke or not. I don't agree with weaves on any child atleast until the child hits puberty...braids are a different story because I started wearing those when I was 5 years old. But weaves or a lacefront?? :nono:

If there's no visible sign of neglect then there's not much you could say/do without being seen as rude or intrusive (even though I sympathize and agree!).
Perhaps you can do little things like encouraging the girl, maybe give a little gift of a cute barrette or hair goodie and tell her a little bit here or there about putting her hair into a ponytail or grooming it so at least it doesn't stick up.

Honestly, I kinda think damaged hair should be considered a sign of neglect. And it's not the sticking up that's really bothering me, because alot of the girls in the class are in the same boat, but the fact that it is soooo damaged. The barette seems like a cute idea, but I don't think we're actually allowed to give gifts to the children.

:nono::nono::nono::nono: STUPID a$$ Guardian. who in their right mind would do this to a child, or themselves.....?

I have no idea. It makes me a little sad.

OH NOOOO. As a teacher I can tell you that is something you do NOT want to do. If it has nothing to do with behavior or grades do NOT write the the mother about the girl's hair. These parents today are somethin else. Esp. some of the ones that are young or just dont need kids period. They will jump stupid and act ignant if you dare say anything about their parenting. Trying to tell them what they should do with their child's hair falls into that category. You are crossing the line. If there are no signs of physical abuse or neglect (this doesn't count because not everyone knows about proper hair care and that isn't a crime) then you have no right and even then you should call CPS. As much as you wanna say something you're gonna have to hold your tongue. Believe it or not these parents will get offended whether they're doing the right thing or not. They see it as an attack and like your trying to tell them "You obviously don't know what you're doing with your child, so let me help you" whether its true or not. Unless they ask you I wouldn't. I wouldn't even go as far as giving her a barrette and tell her how to do her hair as someone else mentioned. That will be repeated at home and the mom could get offended as well. Now there was a girl who came to school literally just out of bed, no comb ever touched her head. The white teacher's took it upon themselves to take her to the black counselor and have her comb her hair. Now this girl said her mom didn't have time to do her hair in the morning..so I'm guessing the mom never even noticed.

This is what I'm worried about. I'm just wanting to help the little girl out so she doesn't start off her hair journey on a bad foot. I mean I messed up my hair in Hs but that was in my own fault, you know? I guess I'll have to keep my mouth shut though I really would like to direct her caretaker to the children's hair care forum here. Oh, well. What can you do?

OMG I'm so glad that you started this thread OP because there is this crazy pic that has been circulating on twitter that I have been meaning to post up on here SMDH

lol-1.jpg

I can't even believe someone would put a lace front on their child..its absolutely rediculous whether it is a joke or not. I don't agree with weaves on any child atleast until the child hits puberty...braids are a different story because I started wearing those when I was 5 years old. But weaves or a lacefront?? :nono:

sorry to say this, but this is not a joke. i saw this somewhere and the mother stated that she wanted her daughter to have long hair like her. the mother was also weaved up.

I think this is ridiculous, reckless and wildly inappropriate.

I'm not down with the phony ponys, weaves or relaxers on pre-pubescent girls. These are babies! Let them be what they are.

The best gift we could give to our daughters is to instill pride in who they are and let them enjoy that brief window of time where vanity isn't the #1 concern but rather enjoying life is.

When I have a daughter I will do her hair in age appropriate braids and twists using her own hair with durability and longevity in mind so she can just live her life and enjoy it. Trust me when I tell you there are a myriad of styles for EVERY length of coily hair.

There was a popular thread recently about a mother who grew her daughters 4b hair to waistlength by age 5 using nothing but braid-outs....less is more with afro textured hair.

Let them be kids, they should never feel they need anything additonal to be beautiful or presentable.

I just had to come in and brag that I grew my DD's hair out to WL by 3 years old :cup: and my DS is barely 2 yet his hair is WL stretched! She's 3c and he's like 2c, though. But still, the main point is that doing less is doing more.

I don't think weaving is cool for kids hair... but I can understand the box braids is all I'm saying. Especially if you know how to put them in correctly and care for them well, the child's hair can thrive and time can be saved as well.

I think a lot of the parents who are putting weaves on little girls simply lack the basic knowledge of how to care for their own hair. Since they have a belief that unweaved 4a/4b hair = a HAM (because on THEM, it is) they think they are doing the right thing by giving their DD the chance to look better with a weave. :sad: It's ignorance, no doubt. But I don't think it comes from mean-spiritedness.

I just had to come in and brag that I grew my DD's hair out to WL by 3 years old :cup: and my DS is barely 2 yet his hair is WL stretched! She's 3c and he's like 2c, though. But still, the main point is that doing less is doing more.

I don't think weaving is cool for kids hair... but I can understand the box braids is all I'm saying. Especially if you know how to put them in correctly and care for them well, the child's hair can thrive and time can be saved as well.

I think a lot of the parents who are putting weaves on little girls simply lack the basic knowledge of how to care for their own hair. Since they have a belief that unweaved 4a/4b hair = a HAM (because on THEM, it is) they think they are doing the right thing by giving their DD the chance to look better with a weave. :sad: It's ignorance, no doubt. But I don't think it comes from mean-spiritedness.

Hey! My twin girls were WL at 3 as well.

wow, and people wonder why black girls think they can't grow hair. If you're putting weave in your little 6 or 7 year old's head, what is that telling the little girl? 'Here, you don't look good with your own hair, have some fake hair", now you look great.

As older women (older teenagers to adults), we can see the difference in terms of having fake hair, maybe just a case of being lazy and wanting to give your hair a rest, or a change of style, but I doubt a child will see it that way...

I feel like weaves on little girls is just asking for some kind of a complex

lol-1.jpg

956.jpg

Follow up:
As far as little girls getting a complex from wearing hair added (braids with extensions or occasional phony ponies) - I think that it can happen and I think that it can also happen if they only where their natural hair. :grin:
It depends on the life lessons you teach your children. I talk to my girls constantly about how beautiful their natural hair is and the fact that it is so versatile. They can wear it curly, straight, whatever. When I am doing their hair I make sure it is a POSITIVE experience. I never complain about their hair. Some people do not make it a habit to do this. I also give them a lot of other positive feedback, but that is another story.

My girls like to wear different hairstyles and they like cute clothes. I let them know that neither hair nor clothes make the woman. They know how to look fabulous in designer outfits and how to look fabulous in the Walmart clearance special of the day. We treat hair and clothes as a way of expressing ourselves and having fun (while still being appropriate). Those are extra. Secondary to being intelligent, being responsible, being a good person, being obedient.

I'm teaching my kids to love themselves and to be confident and know what's going on whether they are in the hood or in the white house. Anytime somebody has something crazy or negative to say to them I want it to just bounce off of them.

I have read a few posts on here where chicks have stayed home and missed work/class because they had a bad hair day. To me that is off the chain. If one of my kids came to me and said that - I would know I had more work to do.

I don't know about everybody else, but so far, my strategy is working.

I talk to my kids and I pay attention to what they say. I ask a lot of questions. I encourage them to come and talk to me or their dad about anything. When I see an issue or even a possible issue, I take steps to work it out.

I can't speak for what other people are doing. I can only speak for what I am doing. My point is that you can NEVER put everyone in the same boat. A lot of people like to make generalizations and assumptions.

You can't tell what is going on in a person's life just by looking at them. Some people can't afford to feed their kids right now. Some people are working 2 and 3 jobs to keep a roof over their heads. Some families are living in motels week to week. I know they wish all they had to worry about was doing their kids hair.

When was the last time YOU volunteered your services / shared your knowledge with someone else. I know, you don't want to say anything because the person might get mad. So what, if it bothers you that much, say it anyway (just say it in a nice way). When you offer to help someone in the right way, you will get a blessing for it, regardless of the way the person receives it.

Let me roll up on outta here.

Here are some examples of styles that I have done:
http://public.fotki.com/shenitab/kids/

I hate seeing little girls with weaves. My little cousin is 9 and she has no hair at all because her mom permed her hair when she was like 3. When I went home for Christmas she was wearing a half wig and some fake nails (not the little disney ones you put on with stickers, the ones you get done at the salon). SMDH,I think that today most (young) parents do not know how to properly take care of their childrens hair so they throw some fake hair on them and call it a day. When I was in elementary my mom did put extension braids in my hair, but nothing to crazy like fake ponytails and tracks.

Back