Listerine as a relaxer base MY A$$!!!!

you should cuss that b!tch out.

Listerine has everything that will make your scalp burn, and dry your hair out.
It does not protect your scalp from a relaxer, and probably would have caused it to do more damage had you left it on. That woman was a fool, and I am confused as to how she was allowed to even get to the positon to do hair! :nono:
  1. First of all, Listerine is an acidic product, not a base at all! So if anything it will make the relaxer burn worse as opposed to protecting you!
  2. Second of all, anyone who does a relaxer would know that bases are typically (if not all the time) petroleum because it coats the hair and scalp to protect it... even plain old grease would have done the trick compared to listerine
  3. Third of all, the only time I have ever heard of using the stuff on the head was for dandruff, and even then it is silly because it will burn and cause you to scratch and burn more--- not to mention dry the hair out too
You should go get some Listerine Extra Strength Cool Mint and dump it on her head like it was an accident. Rub it in good too...

With the exception of the highlighted part, I agree with you. Listerine doesn't make any logical sense. It has alcohol in it. How would that help anyone about to get a touch-up?:look: Oh right-it wouldn't.

Now you know you should've had better judgement:whip:
That girl was trying to sabotage you and make all your hair fall out. I agree with the previous poster and use some tea tree oil

Oh NO! I'm sorry that happened to you. That stuff opened your pores right up. She probably thought the burning was a good thing (means the relaxer is working?!?!).:thud:

Nonsense!..using that stuff as mouthwash is tortue enough..and shouldn't your scalp be dry before a relaxer application?..from now on please base your own scalp b/4 you let someone else put a relaxer in (or if you do it yourself)
yes you are certainly right..base MY OWN scalp1

:sad:...ummm...what stylist do you know of that keeps Listerine in a salon? Does she live in there too?

I'm sorry your scalp is one fire. You should try some pure aloe to get it to calm down.
Thanks i got some aloe..shame on me though I KNEW THIS WAS NOT RIGHT....btw still burning!

damn..I kept waiting for one of you to say you heard of this before. That's cold. what about coconut oil? will that help?

Okay so I'm at the salon and my new growth is off the chain so it's touch up time> I was afraid of my scalp burning so I asked her to base me well. She says Oh gilr I'll put some listerine on it..it's the best base around.

I skeptically said "okay"

3 minutes in and my scalp is on fire... not from the relaxer cuz that ain't even on yet..but from the listerine!!!:burnup: Then comes the relaxer! It was all bad. I got telaxed cuz I couldn't take it.

Has this ever worked for anyone?

My scalp is still burning two hours later.

Not all bad news though. I did have the stylist use AO Hunersuckle Rose as my deep condition and CHI silk infusion prior to styling..the hair looks awesome but the scalp thing ain't no joke..moral to the story... stick to a nice thick petroleum base..for real for real!

Aw helllllllll no!!!!!! You need a new stylist. PERIOD!

I would have not even done the relaxer once i felt my scalp already burning. This is just wrong on too many levels :nono: I hope your scalp gets soothed soon.

Oh Hell Nawh :lachen::lachen: That stuff cant even stay in my mouth for a few seconds and my eyes not well up, so imagine my scalp?:nono: I've never heard of that mess before:nono: Shoot I want to see her put some damn listerine on her head:yep: Why would she want to base the scalp with a liquid of any kind? Doesnt it contain Alcohol? :wallbash::wallbash:

Sure does. She should've just told you to bring in a bottle of Jack Daniels, that way she could have used it on your scalp and then you could have drunk the rest to dull the pain.

Okay, not to overreact or anything but you should seriously consider calling your state cosmetology board about this. There was no hint of professional judgment in what she did.

Was she trying to sabotage you, perhaps?

ITA! I am 100% stunned & horrified that this came out the mouth of a professional licensed stylist. :evil:

Please do NOT EVER go to her again, and for the love of all things LHCF, if it doesn't sound right, don't let them do it. Tell them, " Perhaps the next time..." so you can have time to think.

Oh, and btw, if it's still burning, try milk. Milk calms the fiery burn of the hottest chiles, so maybe that will help? Then follow with EVOO. OMG, I just feel so bad for you and your scalp.:cry3:

Report this woman to the cosmetology board now!!!!!!!

What this woman did was positively and simply OUTRAGEOUS and NO ONE engaging in that kind of behavior should be dealing with people's hair and scalp.

Please don't just let this one go. If she's not reported, god only knows who else she'll do this to...

Girl this takes the cake. :lachen: Who keeps Listerine at their station? :lachen: She must have a dragon breathed clientele.:lachen:

This almost doesn't seem real. How did she go about applying it? :look: You sure that wasn't her little sister playing stylist for the day?:lachen:

Okay so I'm at the salon and my new growth is off the chain so it's touch up time> I was afraid of my scalp burning so I asked her to base me well. She says Oh gilr I'll put some listerine on it..it's the best base around.

I skeptically said "okay"

3 minutes in and my scalp is on fire... not from the relaxer cuz that ain't even on yet..but from the listerine!!!:burnup: Then comes the relaxer! It was all bad. I got telaxed cuz I couldn't take it.

Has this ever worked for anyone?

My scalp is still burning two hours later.

Not all bad news though. I did have the stylist use AO Hunersuckle Rose as my deep condition and CHI silk infusion prior to styling..the hair looks awesome but the scalp thing ain't no joke..moral to the story... stick to a nice thick petroleum base..for real for real!

OMG.. whoever said to put listerine on your scalp is an idiot.

Listerine has an alcohol base, and during oral use you need to wash it out within 40 secs. Even if it didn't burn, you don't put alcohol on your hair or your scalp because it'll dry it out.

I thought I heard it all, and then I read this :wallbash:

I got light-headed just reading this post. I agree with all the other ladies she really needs to be reported, at the very least, to protect other unsuspecting clients. However I have a hard time believing she didn't know what she was doing. I think it was intentional. Using Listerine for basing is unheard of, it isn't even an urban hair legend. She may as well of just used a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Did no other stylist watching her say anything? What about the salon owner?

As for the burning I would use emu oil (especially at night before you go to bed). I would also use vitamin E and aloe to help with the healing without scarring. I hope there is no permanent damage.

damn..I kept waiting for one of you to say you heard of this before. That's cold. what about coconut oil? will that help?

lol, I truly think you have won for Hair Oddity Practice 2007. Im still waiting and hoping you'd say you were kidding because I'd hate to imagine the pain you are feeling.
Like the line in your sig.:grin:

OMG THATS SO CRAZY

MAKES ME WANNA CALL HER SALON AND MAKE A BUNCH OF FAKE APPOINTMENTS , MAKES ME WANNA CRANK CALL HER ALL DAY LONG!

WHATS HER PHONE NUMBER!?

LOL

MY HAIR DRESSER USED TO USE SEA BREEZE AFTER A RELAXER AT TIMES, IT BURNED AT FIRST BUT ACTUALLY RELIEVED IT ALOT ONCE IT CLOSED THE CUTICLES IT EASED THE IRRITATION

TRYING TO GIVE HER SOME BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT HERE

MAYBE SHE GOT THAT ISH BACKWARDS

That sounds like it's serious enough to make a complaint to the cosmetology board. She should not be doing chemical processes if she is willing to put listerine on a client's scalp beforehand.

OMG THATS SO CRAZY

MY HAIR DRESSER USED TO USE SEA BREEZE AFTER A RELAXER AT TIMES, IT BURNED AT FIRST BUT ACTUALLY RELIEVED IT ALOT ONCE IT CLOSED THE CUTICLES IT EASED THE IRRITATION

TRYING TO GIVE HER SOME BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT HERE

MAYBE SHE GOT THAT ISH BACKWARDS

My mom uses Seabreeze after her relaxers cuz her hair dresser used to do it.

Please report her girl. I hope the next post I read from you addresses this. What she did was wrong on so many levels and could cause some serious damamge :nono:. I'm concerned that your scalp was still burning after the appointment. How is your scalp doing now? I also suggest aloe or tea tree oil to help heal your scalp. Good luck.

Why didn't you stop her?

Great question. We are still hearing so many horror stories from women on this board and many of them have been on this board as members or lurkers for a while. When do we get to the next stage and go from victims to empowered people. Listerine has ALCOHOL in it!!!!! I would have said NO from the get go and left because girl clearly does not have a clue. Please ladies, speak up and walk out, it's your head. We know that just because someone is a stylist does not mean they know what they are doing!

Back