List your pre- flat iron regimen

lesedi

All is well with me
I searched and only found really old threads...

How do you prepare for the straightening process?

Hair type:
Relaxed/Natural: Natural
shampoo:
deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat):
Leave in(Creamy or spray and name the product):
serum/heat protectant(name product and say whether it is creamy or a spray):
Anti humidity product: (Name the product ie; Sabino Moisture block, CHI silk infusion etc and, how much you use and at what stage of the process)
Blowdry: (please list the method you use, ie: paddle brush-out; round brush-out; tension method etc)
Flat iron:( Please state what straightener you use and at what heat)
Pics:If you have some that would be great:grin:

TIA ladies:grin:

Last edited:
Very nice question! I'm looking forward to the answers since I'm planning to buy a flat iron soon. Could you also add if and when any ladies use anti-humidity products like Sabino Moisture Block? :)

Im actually in the process of doing this now, I will definitely come back and answer these.

Hair type: 4a
Relaxed/Natural:Relaxed/Texlaxed
shampoo: Jocio Moisture Recovery (blue bottle), or Kenra
deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat):Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose or Kenra (usually with heat for 30 mins or so).
Leave in(Creamy or spray and name the product): Salerm 21 (creamy leave in)
serum/heat protectant(name product and say whether it is creamy or a spray): Sedu Argan Oil
Anti humidity product: (Name the product ie; Sabino Moisture block, CHI silk infusion etc and, how much you use and at what stage of the process) Sedu Argan Oil
Blowdry: (please list the method you use, ie: paddle brush-out; round brush-out; tension method etc)Tension method and paddle brush-out
Flat iron:( Please state what straightener you use and at what heat) Sedu flat iron

Last edited:
Great thread idea OP. I am still working the kinks out of my regimen. One thing I have found is to use as little product as possible for best results.

Hair type: 3c/4a

Shampoo: Elasta Qp Creme Conditioning Shampoo,Pantene Relaxed and Natural,Aphoge Deep Moisture,Aphogee Damage shampoo.

Deep Conditioner: Aphogee 2 min,Pantene relaxed and natural Hair Masks,and Bone Marrow I mix these together with a silver heating cap and sit under the dryer for 15 mins.

Leave in: Aphogee Green Tea,and Aphogee Pro Vit leave in.

Serum/Heat Protectant: Fantasia IC Hair Polisher only a penny size

Anti humidity product: Chi Silk Infusion, I put half a penny size onto my hair when I am about to blow dry.

Blowdry: Gold N Hot Blow Dryer I use my attachment on medium heat. When my hair is 75% dry I use my paddle brush to make it straight.

Flat iron: I use the Chi Original so it does not have a heat setting. I press my roots with the Kentucky Maid pressing comb.

Pics:
attachment.php
K I found a pic of my hair

Last edited:
Hair type: 3b/3c

shampoo: Anything that is available

deep conditioner: it varies, the last deep conditioner I used was Le Kair Cholesterol mixed with olive oil. Used a hooded dryer for about 30 mins

Leave in: usually a diluted amount of any conditioner lying around, usually vo5

serum/heat protectant: Elasta QP silk, section hair into 1-2 inch sections and spray so the hair is slightly damp.

Anti humidity product: n/a

Blowdry: n/a- Sometimes I air dry but not completely

Flat iron: Remington Wet2Straight. Kind of like this one, but wider http://www.amazon.co.uk/REMINGTON-W...1_8?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1320789138&sr=1-8 using the comb-chase method

Pics:
Next day hair, after being slept on in a bun, not keen on my hair being dead straight :look:
IMAG0603.jpg

Last edited:
Hair type: 3b/3c

shampoo: Anything that is available

deep conditioner: it varies, the last deep conditioner I used was Le Kair Cholesterol mixed with olive oil. Used a hooded dryer for about 30 mins

Leave in: usually a diluted amount of any conditioner lying around, usually vo5

serum/heat protectant: Elasta QP silk, section hair into 1-2 inch sections and spray so the hair is slightly damp.

Anti humidity product: n/a

Blowdry: n/a- Sometimes I air dry but not completely

Flat iron: Remington Wet2Straight. Kind of like this one, but wider http://www.amazon.co.uk/REMINGTON-W...1_8?s=drugstore&ie=UTF8&qid=1320789138&sr=1-8 using the comb-chase method

Pics:
Next day hair, after being slept on in a bun, not keen on my hair being dead straight :look:
View attachment 128061

Ur hair is so beautiful! Love the waves!!!

4a/4b Natural Hair Reggie:

Pre-poo overnight with: Silicon mix and jasmine oil . *this is actually pretty important, well moisturized hair is cooperative. *

Shampoo with Nourish Spa. *Be sure to get scalp clean. If you use products with silicones you should maybe use a clarifying shampoo.

Deep condition: aphogee 2 minute reconstructor

Heat protectant before blow dry: aphogee green tea leave in

Heat protectant before flat iron: Fantasia serum protectant (leaves hair blinging but not greasy)

Maintain: use vatika oil, especially on ends as needed (every other day)

ETA: i use a Yellow bird blow dryer with the comb attachment for blow out and a Solia flat iron betwen 320-350. MUST USE COMB CHASE METHOD!!!

From this... (shrunken braid out)

DSCN0027-1.jpg

To this...

100_1801-1.jpg

100_1803-1.jpg

Last edited:
My Straightening Process (type 3? natural)

- Chelate/Clarify: Quantum Clarifying Shampoo
- Shampoo: Diluted Elasta QP Creme Moisturizing Shampoo – detangle while rinsing
- Porosity Control: Roux Porosity Control – Let sit for 2 minutes before rinsing
- Protein Treatment: ApHogee 2-Minute Reconstructor – Let sit for 20 minutes
- Deep Conditioner: Hairveda Sitrinillah or Shescentit Banana Brulee – Sit under the dryer for 30 minutes, then allow to sit overnight
- Leave-in: Lacio Lacio High Shine Leave-In (creamy; used sparingly)
- Section into quarters and air dry in four braids
- Heat Protectant: Sabino Moisture Block - Apply a light coating to each unbraided quarter, comb through then pin it up
- Straighten: Using my Jilbere Ceramic Xtreme flatiron set at Level 13 (360 degrees)
- Moisturizer: Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream (a light application every other day)

The attached pictures were taken after my last straightening attempt in May 2011.

Attachments

• M10.jpg
    M10.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 87
  • M7.jpg
    M7.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 90
MY PRE-FLAT IRON PROCESS

The night before:
Wash and deep condition.
Rollerset hair and let dry overnight.

I make sure to wash and condition my hair the day before a flat iron session so that I am working with clean and conditioned hair. Not only does having well conditioned hair helps me prevent heat damage, it also helps me get flowy, voluminous hair.

I have found that rollersetting my hair the night before helps cut down on tangles that I might run into when I flat iron. In addition, letting my hair dry overnight in a rollerset allows my hair to dry pretty straight at the roots and the shaft is smooth and moisturized well without the extra heat.

This makes the whole flat iron process quicker and easier for me.

I have a 2 day process to get from this:

rizingdeepconditionerovernight-vi.jpg

to this:
31lengthcheckfront-vi.jpg

pre poo (aloe vera juice, jojoba oil, coconut oil)
detangle
wash (creme of nature)
deep condition (mega silk moisturizing conditioner - overnight)
heat protectant treatment and spray (Chi Infra treatment and Nioxin)
blow dry
flat iron

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2WdwRVHfmE

shampoo: Creme of Nature (original formula - green label)

deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat): Mega Silk, overnight (body heat)

Leave in (Creamy or spray and name the product): None

serum/heat protectant(name product and say whether it is creamy or a spray): Chi Infra heat protect treatment (at least 5 minutes with heat) and Nioxin bliss heat protectant per section

Anti humidity product: (Name the product ie; Sabino Moisture block, CHI silk infusion etc and, how much you use and at what stage of the process)

Blowdry: (please list the method you use, ie: paddle brush-out; round brush-out; tension method etc) Tension method

Flat iron Please state what straightener you use and at what heat): FHI Runway around 370 degrees sometimes higher though

Last edited:
Hair type
3c/4a

Relaxed/Natural
Natural

shampoo
Giovanni 50/50 Balancing Shampoo (Moisturizing and Clarifying)

deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat):
AO GPB on dry hair w/o heat 30 (before wash); GVP conditioning balm w/o heat 30 mins (after wash)

Leave in(Creamy or spray and name the product):
N/A

serum/heat protectant(name product and say whether it is creamy or a spray):
Kenra Platinum Hot Spray (use before blow dry)

Anti humidity product:
CHI Silk Infusion

Blowdry:
Air dry in 4 braids to 75% dry; blow dry on low heat w/ comb attachment

Flat Iron
CHI Air Pro Classic Expert

Attachments

• Flat Iron.jpg
    Flat Iron.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 67
Hair type: 3C
shampoo: whatever's on hand, usually giovani 50/50 clarifying
deep conditioner: whatever's on hand, sometimes w/ heat for 20-30 mins then leave on for an hour or so, sometimes leave on all day, sometimes just regular conditioner
Leave in: i only use coconut oil.
serum/heat protectant: i don't use it usually, sometimes I'll use my chi spray if I remember
Anti humidity product: honestly i really only use coconut oil and it works for me.
Blowdry: I do not blow dry my hair, it Fs it up. I put my hair in twists and let it air dry fully
Flat iron: I use my beloved maxiglide on 6 or 7, and i use very small sections of hair and I do one veerrryy slllooowww pass down the length of the hair.
Pics:they're on my blog

For me, the less steps, and the less products the better. My hair grows fastest when I don't mess with it and load it up with products.

Hair type: 4a/b; protein sensitive and moisture addicted

shampoo: Curl Junkie's Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, I LOVE this Shampoo!!!

deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat): I use ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner mixed with Hot Six Oil. If my hair needs some protein I add Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and/or coconut oil to the mix. I deep condition with heat on dry hair before every wash. Then rinse out conditioner in the shower with yes to carrots conditioner or aussie 3 min. miracle.

Leave in(Creamy or spray and name the product): I just started using Yes to Carrots Leave In. LOVE IT! If I want extra moisture I use Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as a Leave-In. Always does the trick. If I get tangles I use KeraCare's new ph balanced leave in. I got tangles more in the beginning of my journey, now a regular use of heat took care of that.

serum/heat protectant(name product and say whether it is creamy or a spray): To Blowdry I use Chi Silk Infusion (serum) or Grapeseed Oil. To Flat Iron I use KeraCare Silken Seal (spray) or Fantasia IC (serum).

Anti humidity product: (Name the product ie; Sabino Moisture block, CHI silk infusion etc and, how much you use and at what stage of the process): I use KeraCare's new Oil Sheen. It keeps my hair shiny and is very light. I use it as a finishing spray.

Blowdry: (please list the method you use, ie: paddle brush-out; round brush-out; tension method etc) Use the Pink iChi Blowdryer. Tension method.

Flat iron Please state what straightener you use and at what heat): I use my pink FHI Technique flat Iron (without a heat setting, stays at 425) or my FHI Platform. If I want really straight, I use 425. If not about 375 can get it poofy straight.
Pics:If you have some that would be great I don't have any. But my hair is shoulder length, cut into layers. I like it better now without a relaxer (come January will make it Two years natural). And it's never felt healthier:grin:

ETA: I also moisturize with amla and olive heavy cream by qhemet. As you can tell I use a lot of heavy products....my hair's pretty thick.

Last edited:
lesedi,

How do you prepare for the straightening process? Usually about two weeks prior I throughly assess the condition of my hair. I try to make sure the protein/ moisture balance is just right:yep:. If not, I take steps to correct it (protein treatment? reconstructor? clarify? or extra DC?).

Hair type:
Relaxed/Natural: Natural with a few pieces of texlaxed hair on the ends

shampoo:If needed but mostly CW at this point- HEHH coconut or Aussie moist

deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat): Depends on time of year. In colder months def with heat or heat + steam. In summer months cap + time (minimum of 60 minutes). Usually with Joico moisture recovery treatment balm, or ORS.

Leave in(Creamy or spray and name the product): I mix one using aloe vera gel or liquid, distilled water, and silk amino acids or use KT lv-in.

serum/heat protectant(name product and say whether it is creamy or a spray): If rain is in the forecast I'll use some Aveda Brilliant anti- moisture pomade mixed with equal parts of any silicon type priooduct (usually Paul Mitchell's skinny serum). This is more of a creamy mixture.

Anti humidity product: (Name the product ie; Sabino Moisture block, CHI silk infusion etc and, how much you use and at what stage of the process) See above. This is applied after blow drying. My hair does not like it applied to wet hair then blow dried:perplexed.

Blowdry: (please list the method you use, ie: paddle brush-out; round brush-out; tension method etc) Blow dry using a regular vented brush until almost dry (85-90%).

Flat iron:( Please state what straightener you use and at what heat) I use a Jilbere ceramic/titanium flat iron b/c my Maxi glide died and I haven't replaced it yet:blush::lachen:http://www.sallybeauty.com/titanium...EFE7-6889-5CD4-A00B-BC15E6AD60A5&cm_vc=MYBUYS. I do use a variation of the chase method. I use a cushion, boar bristle/ nylon bristle oval brush on small sections prior to flat ironing. This makes sure my hair is completely detangled, product evenly distrubuted, and ready for the flat iron. I do 2 passes. 1 to straighten/ finish drying my hair. The other to curl my hair. The temp gauge is set to 30. That's the lowest temp my hair will straighten with w/o having that funny heat appliance smell afterward:look:.
Sometimes in lieu of the serums, I use crisco shortening or shea butter before flat ironing and at night when I wrap my hair on the 1st night after flat ironing.
Pics:If you have some that would be great:grin: Feel free to look at my album for pics of my most recent flat ironed hair.
I'll be straightening this weekend and will try to post some more pics in this thread then.
HTH,
P1

LOL!
I wish I had more bells and whistles but ermmm no!

Natural-dont know hair type

-wash with Dr. Bronners
-condition with HH
-apply blow dry creme/heat protectectant to each of my 6 blow out sections
-blow each section using comb attachment on wet hair (I dont do that half dry stuff at all)
-flat iron
-couple drops of chi silk for shine (i didnt know it was an anti-reversion product-cool!)

The end.

Heat tools listed in sig, usually iron on 400.

Relaxed/Natural:Natural
shampoo: N/A
deep conditioner:Ultrasheen Duo Tex followed by Baba Caracol Intensive or praital silk worm cream. 15 mins with heat for each
Leave in: Crece pelo or lacio lacio(creamy)
serum/heat protectant:Smooth n shine straighten polish
Anti humidity product:Apex Pressing oil, after blow dryer, before pressing. just a dab per section.
Blowdry: comb attachment with conair 1875 hatchet blowdryer
Flat iron : Rusk Tourmaline Cermic flat iron at 365. 2-3 passes with brush chase method. i also uses an andis electric pressing comb at 400 prior to flat irning. 2 passes.
Pics:

Hair type:4a
Relaxed/Natural: Texlaxed
shampoo:N/A
deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat): B's Bone marrow/joico kpak reconstructor followed by silk elements mayo/joico moisture balm 10-15 mins with heat for each.
Leave in: razac leave in(liquid)
serum/heat protectant: Salerm Brushing protector(spray)
Anti humidity product: KeraPro Anti Friz Elixir quarter sided amount per 1/2 of my head on wet hair before the drying process.
Blowdry: Comb attachment with dryer or via rollerset
Flat iron Please state what straightener you use and at what heat) Babyliss Nano Titanium. 1 pass at 300-340 for textured straight. 1 pass on 370 for bone straight
Pics:
Textured straight

Bone straight

-relaxed
Creme of nature shampoo old form.
DC mixture of Nairobi Humecta-sil and post perm treatment designer touch, rinse them porosity control by creme of nature
- two nickel size drops of Salerm21 along with 3spritzs of Pantene relaxed and natural wrap lotion (old formula)
- 1nickel size drop of sallys brand silk infusion
-blowdry , partial comb attach (kept falling off) round brush(tension method on roots) regular medium/wide tooth comb on ends.. High heatcon roots medium on length
-flat iron/ ceramic Andis 11/2 inch got in from walmart in SC, I'm pissed bc I can't find it anywhere in NYC!!
208982c4-da9c-b183.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
208982c4-dac9-cd36.jpg
208982c4-daf8-378c.jpg

Oh yeah I use the chase method. I believe it's the KEY to getting silky end without more than 1 or 2 passes!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I searched and only found really old threads...

How do you prepare for the straightening process?

Hair type: Type 3/4a
shampoo: Normally Joico K-pak or Moisture recovery
deep conditioner (which one and how long with or without heat): I use a mix Joico K-pak reconstructor (protein), Lekair cholesterol, Joico Moisture recovery, and Cantu shea butter leave-in. I normally leave the conditioner for 6-8 hours or overnight covered with a shower cap, doo rag and turbie twist.
Leave in(Creamy or spray and name the product): I rollerset my hair using very light amounts of my normal leave ins (cantu shea butter and lacio lacio)
serum/heat protectant(name product and say whether it is creamy or a spray): Beyond the zone (spray) and Chi silk infusion (serum)
Anti humidity product: (Name the product ie; Sabino Moisture block, CHI silk infusion etc and, how much you use and at what stage of the process): If I use an anti-humectant, it's normally Maxius beyond straight and The End. I sometimes apply them during the rollersetting or airdrying stage
Blowdry: (please list the method you use, ie: paddle brush-out; round brush-out; tension method etc). I never blowdry, always rollerset or airdry
Flat iron:( Please state what straightener you use and at what heat)
Pics:If you have some that would be great:grin:. I use the FHI usually, but also use the Maxiglide and Sally GVP, depending on what look I'm going for. When rollerset, I normally use a temp of 330-350. When airdried I turn the temp up to 375, usually no higher that 380 with no more than 2 passes per section. I also use the chase method

TIA ladies:grin:

The pic in my siggy is a combed out rollerset + silk wrap

flat-ironed

Hair type: 4a/b
Shampoo: Chi Infared
Deep Conditioner: Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment w/ Honey, Jojoba & Coconut Oil Added -- OVERNIGHT
Leave in: Nioxin Thermal Bliss
serum/heat Protectant: Nioxin Thermal Bliss
Anti humidity product: None
Blowdry: Paddle Brush
Flat iron: FHI Runway @ 375-400

See THIS thread where I talk about the entire routine for getting my hair straight in ONE PASS & share a video tutorial

PC231309.jpg

Hello!

I dont use a flatiron but a curling iron.. Weird hah? But that keeps my hair in shape.. A flatiron just damages my hair.. Plus i dont go for the stick straight hair..
I wash my hair with creme de la curl (miss jessies) after that i put aubrey organics honeysuckle and steam for 20 minutes.. Rinse and use creme de la creme as a leave in.. Over the leave in i put chi silk infusion in my hair.. Let it airdry.. And begin with the curlingiron

Last edited:
Hair type: no idea, TBH lol
Shampoo: KMS Flat Out
Deep Conditioner: KMS MoistureRepair, for 15 mins
Leave in: KMS MoistureRepair Revival Creme
Protectant/Anti humidity product: I use a combo of Profectiv Anti Breakage lotion and BedHead Control Freak Serum. I apply this while my hair is air drying
Blowdry: Wide comb attachment for 5 to 10 min
Flat iron: EMI 1" for my ends, Mega Hot Ceramic for the rest of my hair.

Hair type: 3c/4a
Relaxed/Natural: Texlax
Shampoo: Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo to gently remove any residue
Deep Conditioner: Hairveda moisture pro for 30 mins under hooded dryer.
Leave in: None
serum/heat Protectant: Kerastace oleo relax serum
Anti humidity product: Kerastace Oleo relax serum and garnier anti frizz milk
Blowdry: I usually air dried tied down over night. Then flat iron in morning.
Flat iron: Revlon ceramic 360 in front and 390 in back and a crown
One pass. Not more than two.

a69374a1-c1f5-7158.jpg

a69374a1-c252-cc6f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

Back