lightening hair with relaxer

ChasingBliss

For the first time in like forever, I am thinking about lightening my hair. Before I started relaxing my hair many moons ago, I used to use regular peroxide and a plastic cap over night and my hair would come out with the most beautiful golden red/brown hue (almost like Journee Smallet when she was younger). I always loved that color but I know that I cannot do the peroxide thing because my hair is relaxed and it would surely break off all my 3 years worth of growth...and I am not trying to mess up all this work :lol:.

Does anyone know what is the best/safest hair lightener to use on relaxed hair? I am really getting tired of this boring dark brown color I have...

I notice there is always talk of dyes but I assumed that dyes just darken hair. Am I correct? Im not to savvy about hair color.

TIA

the only advice I can offer is to see a professional for the color and for maintenance continue to DC ( your hair will need it)

JLove74 said:
the only advice I can offer is to see a professional for the color and for maintenance continue to DC ( your hair will need it)
What she said (especially about DC).

CoCoGirl821 said:
I have read on some post about using henna to lighten the hair. Although I haven't used it, I have read the website about it. Here is the link..I hope that helps.:)

http://www.hennaforhair.com/

Henna doesn't lighten hair color, it is more like a rinse it changes the hair tone adds pigment to the hair but it does not lift or bleach the hair (new henna expert to the rescue) LOLOL

Unfortunately, only peroxide based hair colors lighten dark hair. I have light brown hair and used to use lemonjuice in the summer when I went boating in high school and I always got very beautiful golden highlights from that with out any adverse effects. I think that is the most gentle. I don't know what type of results darker hair will get. I think it just brings out your natural highlights. I would just soak my hands in lemon juice and saturate the front of my hair then pull it back in a pony tail and go out in the sun. You may have to do this over a few days to get the color highlight you want. HTH

Thanks ladies....I will definitely consider your advice. I really dont want to screw up my hair.

I thought that the Dark & Lovely or the Cream of Nature colors in the box might work but for some strange reason I dont know anyone who's ever tried them. I was also making an assumption that they were for relaxed hair but never really checked it out.

I hope that you consider a rinse, my friend has lightened her hair with a rinse. She's licensed though and NOBODY else that I know can get lighter hair with a rinse. (laughs) Usually you need to use harsh chemicals to do so.

A rinse is safe for relaxed hair. I just wanted to mention that streaks over my relaxed hair is what forced me to go natural. I'm happy to be natural, but I liked my relaxed hair...um before it broke off.

lana said:
I hope that you consider a rinse, my friend has lightened her hair with a rinse. She's licensed though and NOBODY else that I know can get lighter hair with a rinse. (laughs) Usually you need to use harsh chemicals to do so.

A rinse is safe for relaxed hair. I just wanted to mention that streaks over my relaxed hair is what forced me to go natural. I'm happy to be natural, but I liked my relaxed hair...um before it broke off.

What kind of rinse?

HoneyLemonDrop said:
For the first time in like forever, I am thinking about lightening my hair. Before I started relaxing my hair many moons ago, I used to use regular peroxide and a plastic cap over night and my hair would come out with the most beautiful golden red/brown hue (almost like Journee Smallet when she was younger). I always loved that color but I know that I cannot do the peroxide thing because my hair is relaxed and it would surely break off all my 3 years worth of growth...and I am not trying to mess up all this work :lol:.

Does anyone know what is the best/safest hair lightener to use on relaxed hair? I am really getting tired of this boring dark brown color I have...

I notice there is always talk of dyes but I assumed that dyes just darken hair. Am I correct? Im not to savvy about hair color.

TIA

I use a regular hair color to color my hair such as Clairol Textures and Tones/Creme of Nature or Altero Ego. The first time I colored my hair using Textures and Tones my hair was jet black so the color wasn't bright at all so I reapplied the color and it was much better. However, to avoid overprocessing you can use a stronger developer (20 volume) instead of 10 volume to get it right the first time. I have always used the developer that comes in the hair color box but if you want to go lighter you could use the Clairol 20 volume developer since I have heard good things about this brand and mix it with the hair color of your choice.

I am sorry but I have never used a hair dye before so I can't give any input.

HoneyLemonDrop said:
Thanks ladies....I will definitely consider your advice. I really dont want to screw up my hair.

I thought that the Dark & Lovely or the Cream of Nature colors in the box might work but for some strange reason I dont know anyone who's ever tried them. I was also making an assumption that they were for relaxed hair but never really checked it out.
I recalling reading about a member who used that brand and it broke their hair off like madness.
ETA: You can't go ligther with a rinse, you'll only have green hair.

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
I use a regular hair color to color my hair such as Clairol Textures and Tones/Creme of Nature or Altero Ego. The first time I colored my hair using Textures and Tones my hair was jet black so the color wasn't bright at all so I reapplied the color and it was much better. However, to avoid overprocessing you can use a stronger developer (20 volume) instead of 10 volume to get it right the first time. I have always used the developer that comes in the hair color box but if you want to go lighter you could use the Clairol 20 volume developer since I have heard good things about this brand and mix it with the hair color of your choice.

I am sorry but I have never used a hair dye before so I can't give any input.

Hey CEG, I didnt know your hair was relaxed, in the first pic I just assumed it was natural. Thanks for the tips. Textures & Tones, hmmm. Ima check that out later on today.

StrawberryQueen said:
I recalling reading about a member who used that brand and it broke their hair off like madness.
ETA: You can't go ligther with a rinse, you'll only have green hair.

Lawd green hair?!?!?! lol.

Yeah, I remember hearing that D & L in particular has a bad rep with their relaxer. So why would the color be any different I guess...

Thanks

HoneyLemonDrop said:
What kind of rinse?

You could use Clairol beautiful collection, it's the best I have tried so far. However, these colors will only deposit color because they have no developer or ammonia in the formula. For long lasting semi permanent color you have to involve a low volume developer of 10 or less. The 10 volume developer will cause the color to last much longer. It will also allow you to change or lift your natural haircolor just enough to notice.

Mix 2 ounces of 10 volume developer to a color 1 or 2 levels lighter than your natural level (haircolor) and process for 20-30 minutes or more.

HoneyLemonDrop said:
Hey CEG, I didnt know your hair was relaxed, in the first pic I just assumed it was natural. Thanks for the tips. Textures & Tones, hmmm. Ima check that out later on today.

:wave:You are welcome!! My hair is texturized in both pics. The first one is of a wash and go in a ponytail, the second pic is of a blowout.:)

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
:wave:You are welcome!! My hair is texturized in both pics. The first one is of a wash and go in a ponytail, the second pic is of a blowout.:)

That's the result of a wash and go??? I likie! Very cute! Ive never done a wash and go either....Lawd I aint never done much of nothing to my hair....:lol:

I really need to step it up with my hair, all I do mostly is wear it in a ponytail with this boring brown color....*pondering some more*

Last edited:
HoneyLemonDrop said:
That's the result of a wash and go??? I likie! Very cute! Ive never done a wash and go either....Lawd I aint never done much of nothing to my hair....:lol:

I really need to step it up with my hair, all I do mostly is wear it in a ponytail with this boring brown color....*pondering some more*

Aww thanks!! Yes that's a wash and go for me. I can't believe you have never done a wash and go:lol:. I love them!! Don't feel bad girl all I do are wash and goes and put my hair in a ponytail. During the winter I twist my hair and wear a wig until Spring.

Take your time and think about what's best for your hair. If you feel confident enough to apply the hair color on your own then go for it but if not go to a professional. I have heard that the Dominicans and the students at Aveda are awesome with hair coloring and offer reasonable prices.

Good luck!!:)

HoneyLemonDrop said:
Lawd green hair?!?!?! lol.

Yeah, I remember hearing that D & L in particular has a bad rep with their relaxer. So why would the color be any different I guess...

Thanks
No, I meant the green will come fromt he rinse b/c green is used in the lighter colors. I just heard the D&L sucked-no green hair from it though. My apologies.

I know someone who used Dark & Lovely hair color. It made her hair extremely dry. So, definitely don't use that one.

StrawberryQueen said:
No, I meant the green will come fromt he rinse b/c green is used in the lighter colors. I just heard the D&L sucked-no green hair from it though. My apologies.

Oh ok, gotcha...

Hello HoneyLemonDrop,

Have you used any color on your relaxed hair before with good results? I have read that lightening dark hair is harsher than darkening it because the chemical first strips the melanin from hair then adds a replacement color deep inside the strand. Darkening the hair only adds color to the outer layer of the strand, so it is not as harsh.

Just be careful and be well informed and take extra, extra care of your hair if you decide to go that route.

You have beautiful hair, sweetie, and I hate for you to run into problems simply because you are momentarily a little bored. Have you considered adding colored extensions to your hair for make-believe highlights?

HoneyLemonDrop said:

TIA

Royal Glory said:
Hello HoneyLemonDrop,

Have you used any color on your relaxed hair before with good results? I have read that lightening dark hair is harsher than darkening it because the chemical first strips the melanin from hair then adds a replacement color deep inside the strand. Darkening the hair only adds color to the outer layer of the strand, so it is not as harsh.

Just be careful and be well informed and take extra, extra care of your hair if you decide to go that route.

You have beautiful hair, sweetie, and I hate for you to run into problems simply because you are momentarily a little bored. Have you considered adding colored extensions to your hair for make-believe highlights?
Hey Royal Glory :wave:
The only color I have used lately was Bigen and I liked it a lot because it gently and safely helped to cover some graying strands around my temple. But I realized that I am really just tired of brown hair. I do realize that coloring has got to be better than stripping, which is why I am definitely going to consider this whole thing very, very carefully.

Thanks for the compliment :).

I will check into the colored extensions.

BTW, those are some beauuuutiful curls you have there in your avatar.

HoneyLemonDrop said:
Hey Royal Glory :wave:
The only color I have used lately was Bigen and I liked it a lot because it gently and safely helped to cover some graying strands around my temple. But I realized that I am really just tired of brown hair. I do realize that coloring has got to be better than stripping, which is why I am definitely going to consider this whole thing very, very carefully.

Thanks for the compliment :).

I will check into the colored extensions.

BTW, those are some beauuuutiful curls you have there in your avatar.

Good. Okay. Best Wishes. Keep us posted. (Tell me about those grays. BTW, I'll PM you about the Bigen.)

And thank you, HoneyLemonDrop for the compliment.

Back