Light Proteins vs Heavy Proteins

vtoodler

Which is better for your hair: A heavy protein (such as Aphogee two-step) every 6 to 8 weeks?

OR

A light protein (such as Aphogee 2 minute) every 1 to 2 weeks?

How did you know which was better for your hair?

Last edited:
This is a good post OP....I personally do weekly light protein. I'm curious to see what the others think. I don't like the hard one's regardless of if my hair likes them or not:nono:

After trying different styling products I already knew that my hair didn't like a lot of protein. Just wasn't sure how much and how often. My shampoo already contains protein. I tried the Aphogee reconstructor and it felt good after application but my hair started shedding like crazy. So I wouldn't go for a heavy protein.

Based on your previous product use, doesn't your hair feel ok with protein in your cleansing and styling products?

I use a light protein (nexxus emergencee) every week. I do own aphogee 2step but I've never used it. I keep it around just in case my hair become damaged or feels weaker than usual.

The only time I really hear of people using hard protein is when they are suffering from excessive breakage of after a chemical treatment.

My hair must like protein. I have been using 2min Aphogee with NTM daily deep conditioner every other day and my hair feels very soft.

Im a relaxed head. I've tried the Aphogee 2-step but my hair didn't like it. It dried it out, even with DCing afterwards.

The Aphogee 2 min and Nexxus Emergencee both work well on my hair. Redken Rescue Force works ok but nothing I'd write home about.

I'm Also Relaxed and use a Light/Med Reconstructor and/or Protein Treatment Weekly. Here are some of the one's I use/have used:

Joico K-Pak
Nexxus Keraphix
Nexxus Emergencee
Dudley's Cream Protein
Dudley's Hair Rebuilder
Sebastain Penetraitt
Aubrey Organics GBP
Claudie Protein
She Scent It Fortifying DC'er
She Scent It Okra Reconstructor
Redken Rescue Force
Redken Deep Fuel
Tigi Dumb Blonde
Jasmine Hair Rebuilder
Lamaur Bone Marrow
Komaza Hair Care Protein Strengthener
*I'm sure there are more, I may stop back in and repost.*

Light protein all that way! I have used the Aphogee 2 Minute which is considered light and even that is really strong on my hair. It's gets the job done and I don't have to use often - every few months - but I'm looking for even lighter protein treatments now because of it.

The Mizani Kerafuse (the protein treatment) and Hydrafuse (moisture treatment) are really good for my hair mixed at 1:3 or 2:2 ratio but they ain't cheap.

Which is better for your hair: A heavy protein (such as Aphogee two-step) every 6 to 8 weeks?

OR

A light protein (such as Aphogee 2 minute) every 1 to 2 weeks?

How did you know which was better for your hair?
I think it really depends on what your hair needs at the time. I use Aphogee 2 step as my preferred protein of choice. However, at the time there were 2 factors behind my decision. One, I 'd used it before my HHJ and had no problem. Two, my hair was breaking and shedding like crazy when I started lurking on this board.:nono: I could not turn my head from side to side let alone comb, style, shampoo, etc w/o seeing many pieces of hair on my shoulders and back. Once I learned how to do a strand analysis I found I needed moisture and protein. I had nothing to lose.:spinning: I do use light proteins sometimes now as well (Joico's reconstructor or Nexxus' emergencee). Thankfully all protein now is strictly for maintenance purposes.

Good thread OP,

For me, too much protein doesn't work - it makes my hair brittle and I have to put a moisturising conditioner on it overnight just to make it feel safe again. I used ORS conditioning pak about a month ago - my hair felt so horrible and dry that my teeth were "on edge" when I touched it.

I use aussie reconstructor, aussie take the heat conditioner and joico moisturising balm, all of which seem to do a good job, but I'm still on the lookout for the perfect combo for my hair. I will KNOW when I find the perfect one!:yep: recommendations welcome - I'm type 4b natural, fine strands, cottony feel.

One thing I am going to do though is try Mega-Tek for a Protein Treatment, Under dryer for about 20 minutes.

Oh Yeah, I forgot Cathy Howse UBH Deep Conditioner. I am currently using that weekly.

@Ravengirl

I just picked up Mizani Kerafuse. I hope I like it. I got "Mixed" reviews.:ohwell:

I didn't get the Hydrafuse tho'.:sad:
Hi, IDareT'sHair! I have never used the Kerafuse by itself but I suspect it isn't as strong as the Aphogee Two Step. My hair always turns out strong but not hard after I use the Kerafuse/Hydrafuse mix. I like it a lot but want to try other treatments (like Joico and Redken) to see if it's the worth the price.

I use a light protein (nexxus emergencee) every week. I do own aphogee 2step but I've never used it. I keep it around just in case my hair become damaged or feels weaker than usual.

The only time I really hear of people using hard protein is when they are suffering from excessive breakage of after a chemical treatment.

LuvlyRain3
dunno this product
I'd like to know how you use it please !!!

Good thread OP,

For me, too much protein doesn't work - it makes my hair brittle and I have to put a moisturising conditioner on it overnight just to make it feel safe again. I used ORS conditioning pak about a month ago - my hair felt so horrible and dry that my teeth were "on edge" when I touched it.

I use aussie reconstructor, aussie take the heat conditioner and joico moisturising balm, all of which seem to do a good job, but I'm still on the lookout for the perfect combo for my hair. I will KNOW when I find the perfect one!:yep: recommendations welcome - I'm type 4b natural, fine strands, cottony feel.

interesting..
I'm 4b, natural, fine strands, fine and so fragile that Aphogee 2 step helped me great !!! but Im seriously thinking about doing a weekly because I think waiting 6/8weeks is too long for me.

Krystle~Hime the full name of the product is Nexxux Emergencee Strengthening Polymeric Reconstructor. Here are the ingredients

Water (Aqua) , Collagen Amino Acids , Polyacrylamidomethylpropane Sulfonic Acid , Propylene Glycol , Hydrolyzed Elastin , Gelatin , Methylparaben , DMDM Hydantoin , Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone

I use it after washing my hair and before my DC. I wash my hair in 5 or 6 sections. I take about a quarter size of the product and apply to each section. I usually apply mid-shaft and then work my way down the ends making sure not to miss any. Then I either sit under the dry until the product turns hard or I pop in a movie and let it sit for a couple of hours. I rinse each section out well with warm water and then DC.

I used to use aphogee two minute but my hair definitely likes the emergencee better.

I have never tried an hard protein.I have always used light protein. I don't think my hair can handle a hard protein. I might try in the future.

I have found that I get good results from light and heavy proteins on a regular weekly or biweekly basis.

Right now I use MT followed by a moisture DC in the same session. My hair is clearly retaining more moisture so I no longer have moisturize it as frequently as before.

Have you ever used any of these two products? If so, are they good?

I think they are both an equal equivalent to Aphogee 2 Step.:yep:

DRC is heavier than Aphogee 2 step the proteins are smaller and the best protein in town.

Drc 28 is in a totally next league. THE PRICE tag is a beast, and I'd say the next best thing is Aphogee 2 step. I use Aphogee 2 minute weekly. I use DRC when I feel there is a need for some heavier proteins. DRC doesn't leave my hair hard, I still need moisture afterwards but my hair is UBBEr soft and I get that in 20 minutes under a cap. No more trying to get the hair that falls under my breast hard anymore. :)

DRC is heavier than Aphogee 2 step the proteins are smaller and the best protein in town.

Drc 28 is in a totally next league. THE PRICE tag is a beast, and I'd say the next best thing is Aphogee 2 step. I use Aphogee 2 minute weekly. I use DRC when I feel there is a need for some heavier proteins. DRC doesn't leave my hair hard, I still need moisture afterwards but my hair is UBBEr soft and I get that in 20 minutes under a cap. No more trying to get the hair that falls under my breast hard anymore. :)

So do you think that Dudley's is better than Aphogee 2-step?

interesting..
I'm 4b, natural, fine strands, fine and so fragile that Aphogee 2 step helped me great !!! but Im seriously thinking about doing a weekly because I think waiting 6/8weeks is too long for me.

Hmmm... I might try this now. When I was relaxed, I used nexus emergencee about every 10 days or once every 1.5 months if weaved and my hair flourished. But I tried using it weekly on my natural, fine, [used to seem] fragile 4a/4b strands and my hair was NOT having it.

It finally got fed up and just tangled into a huge ball that I just up and cut (like a crazy woman, hysterical laughter and all ;) ). Up until that wash, I thought it was all good in the hoos.

Not exactly sure what your hair is like, but it might be something to think about since 2 step is so hard. I did use 2 min for about two months every 7 - 10 days with no problems. Then I got lazy.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

LuvlyRain3

Do you mind stating your hair type and state?

I loved emergencee (and therapee and humectress) when using chemicals, but not so much after deciding to be chemical-free. Thinking about using emergencee again. It was so good to me!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Back