{{{LHCF YEARBOOK}}}} Starting with You Allandra or SuperGirl!

bravenewgirl87

So, we need to make a yearbook documenting the struggle everyone here went through with hair. Please answer the questionnaire and post as many comparison pics as you can. Inspire others to great lengths.

Screen name:
Age bracket [under 18][18-25][25-35][35-45][45 and older]
[Post comparison pics here]

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF?
  • Were you natural or relaxed?
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair?
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others?
  • How did you find LHCF?

• What was your initial hair goal?
  • Long Term goal?
  • Did it remain the same or did it change?
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you?
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years?
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF?
  • How did you get over it?
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution?
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change?
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you?
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of?
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away?
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again?
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey?
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post.
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.)
  • Any Final Words on encouragement?

Oh my. I just finished up another 12 hour work day and you have how many questions. :eek: :ill: It's time for me to go home.

This is such a good idea - I look forward to reading the responses of those who have been in the hair game much longer than I have. Maybe I can join in after another few months when I actually have something to report.

Screen name: 4N6_Gyrl
Age bracket [18-25]
comp1-vi.jpg

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? 1/2 inch below shoulder
  • Were you natural or relaxed? relaxed
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Getting it healthy and long
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? both
  • How did you find LHCF? Dana letter on Cathy Howse's Website

• What was your initial hair goal? BSL
  • Long Term goal? Overall Healthy Hair
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? same
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? almost: i believe by Jan 1
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? 6 months I gained and kept 3 inches of length
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? keeping ppl away from my hair
  • How did you get over it? told them to leave me alone :D
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? yes/yes
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? keep my hair natural from when I was little
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? rollersetting (straightening hair w/o direct heat (flatiron))

• What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? Use Protein & Moisture Conditioner *Balance Hair*: Moisturize *keep hair soft*: Baggy *to retain length*: Stretch *to prevent thinning*: Clarify *gotta have clean hair*
  • What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of? 1) Washing your hair 2x+ a week will wash out its natural oils 2) Trimming hair will make it grow faster 3) relaxing hair every 4-6 weeks will keep it healthy 4) Oils are great moisturizers 5) Theres no magic product/formula to get long hair
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? THESE PRODUCTS DELIVER THEIR PROMISES: UBH Deep Conditioner *eliminates breakage, promotes growth, strengthens hair*: UBH Lotion *softens hair, eliminates dryness & breakage*: AO Honey SR Conditioner *great moisture balance & slip*: CoN Detangling Poo *softens & detangles hair*: Amla Oil *awesome softner for dry hair*What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? 1) Grease 2) Luster's Pink Oil 3) Luster's Jam 4) Foam 5) Hot Comb
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? 1) Baggy *retain length* 2) Bun *retain length* 3) Banana Clip *past shoulder length* 4) Braid-out *curls w/o using heat* 5) Rollerset *styling w/o direct heat* What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? 1) brushing hair into a ponytail 2) using jam & water to lay down hair 3) never use grease than flat iron 4) flat iron more then 1x a week 5) don't get micros
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? Ultra Black Hair Growth II 2000 Edition by Cathy Howse: LongHairCareForum.com: HealthyTextures.com: Fotki.com
  • Have you helped someone else? My lil sister Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. I nutured her hair back to health:
untitled-vi.jpg

• Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? haircare routine & made new friends
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Grow that hair nice and healthy
[/quote]

Thanks a lot! Bumping... everyone should do one.

ETA: um... okay.....
So, no one is going to answer an inspirational thread? Marvelous.
[/B][/COLOR]

Last edited:
Screen name: FlawedBeauty
Age bracket: I'm 26

Picture002-1.jpg
Picture004-1.jpg
Picture003.jpg

Picture001.jpg
Picture007.jpg
Picture008.jpg
DSC00037.jpg
DSC00050.jpg

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? Terribly dry, broken, chewed up!
  • Were you natural or relaxed? Relaxed
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Breakage and dryness.
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? It was all my fault :(
  • How did you find LHCF? Doing a search on Long Hair

• What was your initial hair goal? Stopping breakage so my hair would grow.
  • Long Term goal? Healthy BSL hair
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? Same
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? Getting there
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? My breakage just about stopped and my hair was growing.
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? Finding a regimine and products that work.
  • How did you get over it? By becoming a PJ :lol:
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? Nope
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? Nothing
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? I learned how to moisturize and seal, and I learned that frequent washing is ok and both those things helped me tremendously.

• What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of? Tips: Be patient 2. Be gently with your hair 3. Don't use too much heat 3. Moisture, moisture, moisture! 4. Don't over use products 5. BE PATIENT, IT WILL GROW! :) Myths: Washing too much is not good for our hair 2. Black hair can not grow long 3. Oils are moisturizing...thats all I can think of :)
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? I only have recommendations: 1. Shea Aloe Butter 2. ORS Replenish Pak 3. Infusium 23 Moistur(ologie) Conditioner 4. Henna 5. Anything Elucence
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? I don't really have any
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? No
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. No
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.) I met lots of new ppl here, well not in person lol!
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Keep at it! Whatever your goal you can reach it. Patience and diligence is the key :)

Thanks for replying.... pass it on. I am hoping to make this a sticky so they newbies and the disappointed can always refer back to it.:yep:

bravenewgirl87 said:
Thanks a lot! Bumping... everyone should do one.

ETA: um... okay.....
So, no one is going to answer an inspirational thread? Marvelous.
[/color]
[/B]

Seriously? You bumped the thread less than 30 minutes of posting it which is probably not enough time for most people to answer all of the questions you posted.

Then, you mention specific people you want to hear back from. I get that some people have really fabulous hair - but if you specifically want to hear from Allandra and Supergirl, why don't you just send them a PM? Also, the HYH people are going to showing off their hair in a hot minute so there will be TONS of inspirational photos around. Plus, there is also a sticky to an inspirational thread (I think it's called the Great Lengths or Day/Night thread...something like that).

I hope you know I'm not trying to be rude because know you want to see some good hair - who doesn't? that's why we're all on this site - but give some people time to breathe! If people don't respond, they don't respond.

IvyHair said:
[/b]

Seriously? You bumped the thread less than 30 minutes of posting it which is probably not enough time for most people to answer all of the questions you posted.

Then, you mention specific people you want to hear back from. I get that some people have really fabulous hair - but if you specifically want to hear from Allandra and Supergirl, why don't you just send them a PM? Also, the HYH people are going to showing off their hair in a hot minute so there will be TONS of inspirational photos around. Plus, there is also a sticky to an inspirational thread (I think it's called the Great Lengths or Day/Night thread...something like that).

I hope you know I'm not trying to be rude because know you want to see some good hair - who doesn't? that's why we're all on this site - but give some people time to breathe! If people don't respond, they don't respond.

I'm not trying to be rude but....
I put those two ladies first because I wanted the mods to join in. Plus i didn't know we had the great lengths thread. Its not that serious... no one here is pissed. I'm just trying to make a happy inspirational thread so we can all see where everyone started at, where they are and how the got there.

Great thread Brave! I just started documenting my progress. Maybe, this time next year I'll be able to add to this thread! :)

Screen name: StLucianSweetie
Age bracket [25-35]

2006hair2.jpg
juneherr.jpg

Jan 2006 / Jun 2007

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? Just a little longer than the 2006 pic. I was always a shoulder length girl. I cut my hair before finding LHCF b/c I was sick of constant breakage and I thought it would help. It did not. :ohwell:
  • Were you natural or relaxed? Relaxed and still am.
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Uncontrollable breakage.
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? My fault. I did not know how to care for it.
  • How did you find LHCF? Very randomly on Craigslist. Someone shared the link.

• What was your initial hair goal? To minimize the breakage.
  • Long Term goal? Healthy, pretty hair at whatever length it grew to.
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? Its def growing and less breakage. I don't have bad hair days anymore. Either that, or I've come to terms with understanding my hair. :p
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? I've been sticking with what I've learned for almost a year now. I dont think my journey will 'end' persey. I think its a change in my hairlife.
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? My hair is thanking me and growing.
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? Having patience. It doesnt happen overnight.
  • How did you get over it? Im still getting over it.
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? Well, I see this is going to be a lifelong issue. And what Ive learned from this board is working, so Im sticking with it.
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? I wish I would not have been such a big PJ. But that's how you learn. So I can't complain.
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? Olive oil! From my hair to my skin, I love olive oil!

I might not have 5 things for each questions, but I'll share what I can.
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? Deep condition, Protein treatments, Keep it Simple, Take your vitamins.
  • What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of?
Not washing hair often, You need weaves cause black hair wont grow, You can't use 'white people' hair products.
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why?
Evoo, great for mosturizing ; Vitamins like MSM and Biotin, it really does help; Any Deep conditioner, your hair needs it; Protein txt, your hair needs it.
  • What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away?
Luster's pink oil; greasy, heavy products.
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again?
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey?
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post.
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.) Well, Im learning so much about life and the spirit of women here. More than Oprah could ever teach me.
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Grow Sister Grow!

Screen name: Dlewis
Age bracket 25-35

[/COLOR][/B]
  • What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? just below shoulders
  • Were you natural or relaxed? tex-laxed
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? maintaining length
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? both
  • How did you find LHCF?
search for long healthy hair

• What was your initial hair goal? just to maintain what I had
  • Long Term goal? long hair
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? It remained the same for a while because I was a product junkie and my hair sufered
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? I don't have a goal yet but it took me 2 years to get to APL with one 5 inch cut and 1 6 inch cut in that time frame
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? trying every product anyone mentioned
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? not to try all product but stick to what worked for me
  • How did you get over it? put myself on a budget, stop going to beauticians, and style my own hair
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? still my solution
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? stick with aproduct that worked
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you?
I learned of amla oil from an Indian site that really helped me
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of?
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away?
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.)
[/QUOTE]

I'll have to come back and answer the rest of these. Sorry

bravenewgirl87 said:
So, we need to make a yearbook documenting the struggle everyone here went through with hair. Please answer the questionnaire and post as many comparison pics as you can. Inspire others to great lengths.

Screen name:

Are you serious? (just kidding--25-35)

[Post comparison pics here] (Uh, please see 4 page Fotki, no pw needed)

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF?
    2-3 inches above BSL
  • Were you natural or relaxed?
    relaxed
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair?
    scissor happy hairstylists
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others?
    others (in reference to scissor happiness)
  • How did you find LHCF?
    through a yahoo group

• What was your initial hair goal?
    28-29 inches
  • Long Term goal?
    waist
    change
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you?
    Yes, took about 4 years
    (not quite sure I understand the question :) )
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF?
    finding a stylist that could properly take care of long hair
  • How did you get over it?
    kept looking
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution?
    I have a stylist now that will not get offended at my instructions on how to care for my hair. Yes, I would still recommend that people keep looking.
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change?
    nothing, I don't think

not using shampoo everytime I wash

Tips: Avoid the scissor happy, cut out the heat, be gentle with your hair, make sure others are gentle with your hair, use quality products
    Myths: Protein is a good thing (not bad), cutting makes hair grow, hair has a terminal length, scraggly ends are okay, topical potions can grow hair faster
    My favorites: Jojoba oil, NTM Leave-In, Aubrey GPB, Aubrey HSR, Aubrey Jojoba Aloe

Throw away: hair color (that lightens), conditioners that don't detangle, harsh shampoos, conditioners that make the hair FEEL good but don't otherwise have any benefits (sorry could only think of 4)
    Yes: airdrying
    No: blowdrying
    I really enjoyed Shamboosie's book and Barry Fletcher's book.
    I've tried to help people, but they don't really listen I think. Then they come back on a day when my hair is down again and say "now tell me what you do to your hair." By that time, I'm not in a helpful mood knowing that I told them once but they didn't take it seriously.

I just enjoy the different perspectives of my comrades here. Someone's always a blessing on LHCF on any given day. (everyday!)
Naw girl--this sho' was a lot of questions :lol:

Hope I helped though ;)

Screen name: Bablou00
Age bracket [under 18][18-25][25-35][35-45][45 and older] : 25
[Post comparison pics here]: Here is a starting one I will add to after I relax
1stone.jpg

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? chin length in front just shoulder in back
  • Were you natural or relaxed? natural for 4yrs then relaxed Aug 06
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? hair breakage, dry, overprocessed, never growing past shoulder
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? MIne and other
  • How did you find LHCF? Thru BHM
  • What was your initial hair goal? Healthy hair
  • Long Term goal? Waistlength and beyond
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? Same
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? I am getting close to getting the healthy hair Ive always wanted, still growing though
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? I will be approaching a year in Aug. I have gained a few inches and thickness.
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? Tangles from stretching and not using combs and/or heat to get my roots straight
  • How did you get over it? Time and patience when I detangle and realized that I would never reach my goal if I keep on detangling the way I was
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? Yes because I stretch my relaxers 4mos and on and I still make sure I have nothing to do when I detangle so I dont rush and rip thru my hair
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? I would of probably not of went to the two stylist I did because they ripped thru my hair. I also wish I would of found the products I am using now sooner.
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? I love Aveda, keracare and mizani products. I learned about stretching, no heat, DC, protein treatments, washing more, good moisturizes, less trims, protective styles, rollersetting....
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? Less heat, Good moisturizer, Deep conditioning, NO combing, Patience. These are the five things that I think have helped me the most. Stretching is another one but I could only name 5
  • What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of? Our hair cant grow, we need to wear extentions, MNT doesnt grow your hair out, washing is not the devil, cutting causes hair to grow
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? Aveda DR line for damage, Aveda smoothing fluid for rollerseting, eggs for protein txtments cheap, water just because thats what our hair lacks and needs, EVOO and jojoba oil. To each is own on what products to stay away from. Heavy cones, a lot of mineral oil, hairspray, gels...
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? Rollersetting, wash and go, buns and updos, loose braids, braid outs. All good protective styles. No more crispy, crunchy hair do to gels and hairspray let it go:lol:
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? BHM, individiual fotkis, any mag that features products and what to do articles
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. I tried to get my roommate to focus more on haircare, she wears weaves and wigs and keeps her hair braided underneath but would never moisturize her hair, she would take a brush and just go to town w/ not type of moisturize on her hair. She moved and I havent talked to her about it so I dont know how she is doing. I gave her tips before she left
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.) I feel like Ive meet a lot of wonderful people who share the same goals as me with hair, wt and health, and profession. Did learn more about htmls, photo sharing, etc.
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Thru out this first year the main thing I learned is patience. Some women on here didnt have length when they came here and it didnt happen over night. I wanted to see results yesterday and thats not good to go into to growing hair w/ that mentality. Now I know that my hair can be healthy, strong, thick and long so now my focus is on patience and taking time w/ my hair. Also what works for some my not work for others so develop your own routine and stick w/ that.

Last edited:
Screen name: Silvergirl
Age bracket [25-35]
[comparison pics]
lhcf starting length, neck length
clairolhydrience52blkpearl.jpg

longest length achieved: midback
S5300153.jpg

length after natural BC feb 07
S5300134-3.jpg

current length june 07
S5300110-3-1.jpg

natural hair growth two years since last relaxer
S5300077-3.jpg

What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? neck length
Were you natural or relaxed? relaxed
What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? getting past shoulder length
Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? my own
How did you find LHCF? pure accident
What was your initial hair goal? healthy hair, cause it was jacked up lol
Long Term goal? waist
Did it remain the same or did it change? now id like hip length
Did you reach it? How long did it take you? i got to midback before i BC my hair . but now im all natural an i love it
What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? i just let it grow till it was long enough to be pinned up an let it do its thing
What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? nothing much. cause my hair was up i didnt really worry about it
How did you get over it? n/a
Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? n/a
If you could do anything differently, what would you change? i wish i had transitioned to natural sooner
What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? co-washing. washing more often, little to no heat. less is more!
What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why?
wash at least once a week. use less heat if u can. deep condition. try less product youll be surprised. just let your hair grow. dont worry about it it will happe
What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of?
pink oil is not a moisturizer. water is not evil, natural hair isnt hard to take care of. natural hair isnt evil. relaxed hair can thrive when properly cared for.

What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? im not a product person...
What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? n/a
What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? im not a style person either, i either bun. pontail it or let it hang
What is the top 1 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? oh weave,i did that once thats why my hair broke off to neck lenght... never again
Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? like every hair board out there
Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. my mom . she went from neck to brastrap. no pics online though
Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.) lhcf always has the gossip, my major news source comes from the off topic and entertainment boards lol:D
Any Final Words on encouragement? leave it alone an let you hair do what it does best... grow:)

Last edited:

Screen name: MeccaMedinah
Age bracket : [25-35]
copy_of_length_shot-1.html
0307071938.html
IMG%5D

6c46cgo.jpg

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? about shoulder length
  • Were you natural or relaxed? Relaxed
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Retaining length
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? My own
  • How did you find LHCF? AOL beauty board
  • What was your initial hair goal? Long, healthy relaxed hair
  • Long Term goal? Long, healthy hair (probably natural)
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? Changed
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? Yes- it's healthy & No- it's not long
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Lots of experimenting(products & techniques) & cutting Two Years? Growth & setbacks & realizing what my hair likes is a simple routine
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? Moisture
  • How did you get over it? Still working on it
  • Is this still your problem? Yes Is this still your solution? Yes
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? I would not have chopped so much hair so soon during my transition
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? Conditioner washes & recently washing in sections, less is more. Cantu shea butter, mixing products for desired results
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? Be patient, moisturize, pay attention to what your hair likes, do not use any technique or product that is unhealthy to you or your hair & experiment with styles & products What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of? Washing our hair infrequently is okay, Black women have to relax their hair
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? V05 conditioners, Cantu shea butter leave-in, oils & butters, diluted shampoo- Help with moisture(retaining & adding) What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? None, our hair likes different products
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? Twistouts, puffs, scarves What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? Experimenting is good, I just don't do it- so I have nothing to add here
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? Nappturality.com
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. My mom, she's natural now
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.) I've met a friend for life. Blessed1 :D
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Give your daughters a chance to experience & love their natural hair texture before relaxing it. Black power! :p

Screen name: whitneysimone
Age bracket im 21 :cool:
[Post comparison pics here] see siggy for comparisons

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? one side was SL and the otherside was a couple inches past SL
  • Were you natural or relaxed? Natural
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Breakage & brittle, dry hair
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? All mine.
  • How did you find LHCF? A friend frequents the boards and she recommended I check it out because I would always complain about how much breakage I had recieved in the last couple of years.

• What was your initial hair goal? Initially I just wanted to get my hair in tip-top shape and then go from there.
  • Long Term goal? Initially I wanted MBL
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? It changed, I now want Tailbone Length
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? I am currently set to reach BSL this Sep soo I am shooting for JAN '09 for Tailbone
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? 3 Months: Hair did a complete 180 in terms of strength and moisture & I saw growth that I never saw before all because I was now retaining length. I just finished out my 6 Months of hair and my hair has never been better :p
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? Finding a protective style that still looked presentable.
  • How did you get over it? wigs:cool:
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? no/yes
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? I would have started educating myself about haircare sooner.
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? Moisture/Protein balance, frequent washes, protective styling.

• What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why?
  • water = moisture, protect your ends with your life, NO HEAT.
  • black hair can't grow, black hair NEEDS grease, OIL cures dryness, dandruff means your hair is growing & my personal favorite... trimming your hair makes it grow :grin:
  • I would recommend Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, a Cheapie conditoner for Co-washes, Mizani Hydrafuse, Joico Moisture Balm and PM The Conditioner Leave IN. I would tell folks to throw away grease (unless used to seal ends), shampoos with LSL's and other drying detergents, anything by HOT TOOLS, cotton scarves/bandanas, & no more putting YEAST creme on your scalp :perplexed
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? wigs, braids, plaits, buns, braidouts
  • What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? micro braids, tight ponytails, applying heat everyday, using those small tight rubberbands
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? nope
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. i've given a few other ladies suggestions, but nothing more than that
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? we have to be patient, if we make mistakes, just remember that hair always always grows back.

Screen name: Wantlonghair25

Age bracket [25-35]

DSCN1354-vi.jpg

DSCN1437-vi.jpg

What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? Chin length in front. Neck length in back.

Were you natural or relaxed? Relaxed

What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Split ends and dry scalp

Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? My fault

How did you find LHCF? An old high school friend referred me. :)************************************************** *******

What was your initial hair goal? Shoulder Length 08/2007
Long Term goal? BSL 05/2008

Did it remain the same or did it change? Just joined in May 2007 too early to tell
Did you reach it? How long did it take you? Almost reached shoulder length goal.
What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? N/A

What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? LHCF is great...nothing

If you could do anything differently, what would you change? Stretch trimming

What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? Stretching relaxers, not as many trims, protective styling************************************************** *******

What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? Use minimal heat, try to wash at least once a week, stretch perms, minimize trims

What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of? Black Women Can’t Grow Hair, Only ‘Mixed’ Women Can Grow Long Hair,Dirty Hair Grows, Relaxed Hair Can’t Grow,Brushing your hair is better than combing it

What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? JAM
styling gel, aveeda mint conditioner, Africa Best Hair Mayo (Leave in Liquid or Jar), Cream of Nature dandruff shampoo, Mizani hair wax.

What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? gel(that makes hair hard) , spritz that makes hair hard, Grease

What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? let hair air dry, detangle with fingers, braid outs, buns, wraps.

Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? Support and very valuable information

Any Final Words on encouragement? Growwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Last edited:
Screen name: StephyPoo
[35-45]
[Post comparison pics here] SORRY SOOOOOOO BIG!!
Dec 02' awful press, from my BRAIDER :eek:
10540289.jpg

NOV 04' Airdry/wet wrapped :)
76338792.jpg

Jan 05' WOW who knew my hair could grow!!:grin:
83614394.jpg

Oct 05' Cut down to a TWA 1 inch, starting over natural :lol:
129103467.jpg

April 07' when stretched it's about 1/2 inch from APL ;) I'm guessing when straightened it's about the same length as my Nov 04' pic....I refuse to put heat to it!!:p
251868031.jpg

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF?03' Neck Length
  • Were you natural or relaxed?back then I was totally natural...NOW the Back of my hair is Texturized from lower ears down..Front is 100% Natural....I just needed the back to match the front, my hair is a tight 4a in the back and is looser in the front.
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Dryness & getting my hair to GROW
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others?BOTH-bad braiders, my glued in weaves BAD!!
  • How did you find LHCF? I think Adrienne0914 told me about it I know we use to PM each other ALOT back in the day :lol:
  • What was your initial hair goal?Armpit
  • Long Term goal?Waistelength
  • Did it remain the same or did it change?n/a
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you?Yes, about 2 years
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years?I first noticed thickness, health then length
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? letting my phony pony GO, and wearing my own hair out:grin: I was ATTACHED!!
  • How did you get over it? Slowly wearing my hair out in public on my off days.
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution?OH NO!! no more problems, I love my hair and my simple hair styles I care LESS what people say now!!;)
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change?Nothing different, I love my journey.
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? I have learned ALOT over the years but most of all that less is more, I have now narrowed my regemin down to conditioner washing EVERYDAY with my VO5 conditioner rinsing and pulling it back in a bun or just wearing it in a wash in go...NO OTHER PRODUCTS USED!! :eek: and my hair looks GREAT!!
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why?NO HEAT, NO TIGHT BRAIDS, WASH/CONDITION OFTEN, LOVE YOUR HAIR whatever texture it may be!!, Forget the HATERS!! you KNOW your goal and what ir takes to obtain it ;)
  • What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of?black hair doesn't grow, dirty hair makes it grow, etc.
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away?GET some vo5, It feels and smells like I'm on a tropical island everytime I use them, throw away all the products that your hair hates, LOL you know what they are!!
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again?Anything simple, afro puff, twists...NEVER get a HARD PRESS :mad:
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? I love reading all hair books, I don't care for the magazines, not much info, plus they all wear weaves IMO.
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. n/a
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.) LHCF has taught me that anything is possible, just stick to your goals no matter what and you will achieve whatever your heart desires :)
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Thank's to ALL you wonderful women and men here for making this forum a comfortable place to come to, when others put us down or tell us were crazy if we think our hair can reach a certain length, we have our "FAMILY" here to come to and vent, and make us feel ALL BETTER, LOL :D I LUB YALL!!
______

Last edited:
Screen name: pattycake0701
[Post comparison pics here]No comparison pics:( I just took these like an hour ago... my hair is dry but I slathered some conditioner on and I'm gonna leave it in overnight...
meback2.jpg

meback.jpg

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? I was transitioning at the time, so I'd say about shoulder length,
  • Were you natural or relaxed? transitioning
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? breakage
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? my ignorance
  • How did you find LHCF? I honestly don't remember
  • What was your initial hair goal? for it just to grow longer, about APL
  • Long Term goal? bra strap length
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? nope, not yet
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? I didn't really begin to take it seriously until like last year.
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? curbing breakage
  • How did you get over it? moisturizing the ends, initially utilizing the baggy method
  • Is this still your problem? occasionally Is this still your solution? yes
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change?I wish I had have taken this seriously two years ago. I could have been close to bra strap.
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? baggying, yep...still working

• What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why?
-find a good moisturizer
-moisturize the ends regularly
-baby the ends
-do not braid or pull hair back too tightly
-phony ponies are great protective styles

-black hair cannot grow
-kinky afro hair is bad hair
-black people don't have to wash their hair often
-all black women wear weaves
-afro hair needs a relaxer

-I'm not a product junky but some of my favorites are: Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol, castor and olive oils, henna, Herbal Essences Normal Moisturizing Conditioner, and Scurl spray.
-Well, I feel that different things work for different people and heads of hair. With that in mind, what has helped me was just leaving my hair alone. My hair thrives when I put it in flat twists and bun the back, then throw on my phony pony. In addition, I air dry, I co wash when I need extra moisture throughout the week, I don't straighten at all (but I will this fall) and I try to limit combing to about once or twice a week.
-too many things to list but I have discovered so many different alternative methods to enhance my own health. And a big thanks to the member who introduced the board to Sparkpeople. Because of Sparkpeople's help, I have lost 25lbs since April:woot:.
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Beauty starts internally. Drink your recommended 64oz of water, and eat your fruits, veggies and lean proteins. Limit or eliminate alcohol, refined sugars, tobacco and recreactional drugs. Get your sleep. Exercise your body and mind. Relax, destress and enjoy life:).

Screen name: Candiel
Age bracket [25-35]

This is about a month after I joined LHCF (Oct'06):
lamp026.jpg

This was taken earlier this month (June '07):
blackhair005_edited.jpg

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? a little past shoulder length
  • Were you natural or relaxed? relaxed
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? My hair was breaking in the front where my highlights were.
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? Mine....I loved coloring my hair too often:(
  • How did you find LHCF? Lauren450 told me about it:grin:
  • What was your initial hair goal?BSL
  • Long Term goal? Midback
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? Almost there
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? Learning to stretch my relaxers
  • How did you get over it? I learned products to use on my hair
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? I've gotten a lot better at it.:)
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? I would have continued with my transition to go natural
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? How to texlax my hair; yes it's still working for me.
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why?Try stretching your relaxer, it can work wonders!, hair growth starts on the inside, so look at your diet and workout regimen first; follow whatever works for you, what works for one person may not work for you! What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of?
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? Elucence MB, Kenra, Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayo, Aveda DR and Elasta QP Mango Butter What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? Hair gel with alcohol in it, setting lottion
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? Just LHCF of course!
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? Love and take care of yourself and it will show in your hair!

Back