{{{LHCF YEARBOOK}}}} Starting with You Allandra or SuperGirl!

bravenewgirl87 said:
So, we need to make a yearbook documenting the struggle everyone here went through with hair. Please answer the questionnaire and post as many comparison pics as you can. Inspire others to great lengths.

Screen name: deejoy
Age bracket [under 18][18-25][25-35][35-45][45 and older] 25-35
[Post comparison pics here]

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? shoulder length due to a scissor happy stylist, my hair was bsl a few years ago
  • Were you natural or relaxed? relaxed
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? shedding
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? both
  • How did you find LHCF? a mention on another board
  • What was your initial hair goal? apl
  • Long Term goal? tailbone length
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? still growing
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? not yet, I just got serious about this in late April
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? I'll let you know, hasn't come yet
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? shedding
  • How did you get over it? I started nourishing my hair from the inside out:started taking iron supplements, eating better, taking multivitamins, and doing protein treatments on my hair on the outside. It worked.
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? its worked so far
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? n/a
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? Aphogee 2 minute, cowashing-yes
  • What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of?you can wash your hair daily if you want
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? throw away that brown/black/Let's Jam gel, definitely use Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? be gentle with your hair
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? Cathy Howse, Wanakee, Beauty Basics
  • Have you helped someone else? Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post.
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.) I became more of a health nut from taking so many vitamins. I knew my shedding was due to a vitamin deficiency so if I wanted to turn that around I had to change my diet. Thank goodness there's a health food store a block away.
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? dont give up

There's mine!

Screen name: ToyToy
Age bracket: [25-35]

[Post comparison pics here] (Sorry I only have this picture)

http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1830/8671356/16067419/249237576.jpg

What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF?It was about an inch and a half or two inches long.
  • Were you natural or relaxed?Natural
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair?Dryness, tangles, discouragment.
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others?I didn't have hair loss
  • How did you find LHCF?Through another forum.

• What was your initial hair goal?To be able to put my hair in one rubber band.
  • Long Term goal?Midback length (stretched)
  • Did it remain the same or did it change?It's growing very well.
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you?I haven't reached my goal yet.
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years?I am still trying to deal with the knots and tangles.
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF?knots, tanlges and shedding
  • How did you get over it? Unfortunately, I am still working on it.
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change?I would not have dyed my hair! ;)
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? I learned about the difference between protein treatments and dee conditioning, when and how to use them and their importance. I learned about the importance of moisturising and trimming. I'm sure there is more, but that's all I can think of right now.

• What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? Don't over-obsess about hair length; do have a balance between moisture and protein; trim hair regularly; don't dye hair that is already week; don't over-use heat
What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of? Black hair grows; you can learn how to look after your hair yourself; trims can save your hair health; (can't think of anything else)
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? SheaMoisture LeaveIn (great moisturiser!); Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm (great deep conditioner and detangler); Anita Grant Shampoo Bar (ultra-gentle shampoo bar that keeps your hair soft and detangled); Keracare Hydrating Shampoo (for those who don't like poo bars, this is a great gentle alternative); Black Earth Products Healing Oyl (great for scalp and hair, it actually penetrates)
  • What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? Motions Products (one word - CRAP)
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? Sorry, don't really have styling techniques.
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? Andre Walker Let's Talk Hair; Nappturality
Any Final Words on encouragement?Don't give up! :)

:look: :bump::bump: Oops did I just do that?! Anyone wants to add to this? I'm not ready to answer these ?'s but I'd like to read more A's to the Q's!

Screen name: Mynappturalme
Age bracket [under 18][18-25][25-35][35-45][45 and older] 35!
[Post comparison pics here] I'm technically challenged. My avatar shows my length when I became a paying member. When I started my natural journey in 2005, I had about 1-2 inches of hair (I big chopped).

• What was your hair's starting point when you joined LHCF? SL
  • Were you natural or relaxed?Natural
  • What was your biggest obstacle before LHCF in regards to your hair? Keeping my hair moisturized
  • Was your hair lost your fault or the fault of others? Both :wallbash:
  • How did you find LHCF? I belong to several and get mixed up, I believe Nappturality and just searching on the net about how to care for my hair.

• What was your initial hair goal? WL
  • Long Term goal? To the floor like my daddy (he has locs)
  • Did it remain the same or did it change? Remained the same
  • Did you reach it? How long did it take you? I have a looong way 2 go.
  • What happened the first three mos.? 6 mos.? 12 mos.? Two Years? The first 3 mths I wore a twa. The next 12 I wore braids. Then a bigger twa for another 12mths and then phony ponies to this day.
  • What was your biggest obstacle while growing hair long through utilizing LHCF? My BIGGEST obstacle was taking rx drugs that began to cause me to lose hair and a "scissor happy" stylist (only went in to get my hair flat ironed:wallbash:)
  • How did you get over it? I prayed. Continued to stay with my reggie. Co-washed daily, moisturized daily, and just k.i.s.s.
  • Is this still your problem? Is this still your solution? No, it is no longer a problem. This is still my solution.
  • If you could do anything differently, what would you change? Staying consitant with my reggie and sticking to a simple one.
  • What product/technique did you learn about through this site that changed things around and is it still working for you? Co-washing and keeping my hair moisturized with conditioner.

• What are the top 5 Tips you would give to anyone and why? 1.If it works for you, don't change it. Don't worry about what others say. You know what works for you and your hair.
  • 2. Always keep your hair moisturized
  • What is the top 5 myths you would tell someone to let go of? 1. You can wash your hair every day and your hair is not going to fall out!
  • 2. You do not have to only buy "black hair products"
  • What Are the top 5 products you would recommend to anyone and why? Dabur Vatika Henna Conditioning Shampoo! Red Palm Oil, and Majabhringraj Oil
  • What are the top 5 products you would tell someone to throw away? Gel
  • What are the top 5 styling techniques you would give to anyone and why? None. Probably because I wear a p(h)ony tail everyday.
  • What is the top 5 styling techniques you would tell people to never do again? Hard crispy styles, let your hair move.
  • Are there any other sites, books, magazines, etc. helped you throughout your journey? Beautiful Black Hair: Real Solutions to Real Problems. By Shamboosie-This was my Start
  • Have you helped someone else? My kids. My youngest one went from short (damaged-breaking) hair to APL wearing braids and healthy care.
  • Tell their story briefly and if you have comparison pics, please post. My youngest one went from short (damaged-breaking) hair to APL wearing braids and healthy care.
  • Besides your own hair growth, how else has LHCF changed your life? (job in the haircare, new friends, change of major, weight loss, web design, etc.)
  • Any Final Words on encouragement? When you find something that works, just be consistant with it. Do not worry about other peoples comments if they do not agree with how you comb/brush, wash, etc. your hair. I.E. Some people like hair grease and it works for them (My mom used it on my hair as a child and I had APL hair), I've been combing and brushing my hair for years and it works for me, some people only use fingers or no manipulation, well that does not work for me. To each his own. Be patient, your hair will be healthy and your hair will grow. Don't be discouraged if you are natural search the board, there's plenty of pics to keep you motivated and advice.
[/quote]

Sorry about the book.:grin:

Back