Length vs. style

Pixel Lady said:
ITA w/bolded parts of your statement. I do think I am in the minority in terms of wanting long layers. My hair is in layers now and I really like it!

Back to the OP: I think you can most certainly have style and length. I will agree with whoever said it does take some creativity, more time and maybe a change in products (even if temporary)...the results could be beautiful and stylish.

I love your layers. Long layers are a great way to add style w/o sacrificing length. I'm growing my hair out so I can have long layers. I'm not big on length for length sake. :nono:

I have worked with or seen people with hair gaining on that classic length and I have yet to see it look stylish. I see it look long of course but 9 times out of 10 or rather 10 times out of 10 it has made the person look "old" and I would secretly want to go up behind them and cut it up to BSL at least thinking it would really give their look a lift.

That is what I fear which is why I do not think, for me, I would want to go past BSL b/c I don't want it to drag me down or make me look old.

I was in the mall over 9 months ago and saw this girl in one of the stores who had a fly fly fly stylish hair cut. It was short in the back and long in the front with curls and bends. I asked her how she maintained it and she was like "oh I just pincurl the front and top and tie it down with a scarf then wake up and release". It looked so simple yet stylish b/c she had perfectly placed color in there plus her outfit looked nice. Had me second thinking "why am I growing my hair out again?" LOL! But her look was for HER and not for me.

i think there is more versatility with longer hair. you can pull ponytail, where strait, curly, wavy, pin, braid, etc... when i had shorter hair it was much more maintenance... having to freshen the curls everyday, get weekly linings, etc... right now i'm holding back on style(s) until i get the length i want. the good thing is when i do want to style i just wrap the night before and i'm ready to go the next day. i know my ends aren't perfectly trimmed and i don't have that fresh from the salon look but its a small price to pay for healthy hair

CurleeDST said:
I have worked with or seen people with hair gaining on that classic length and I have yet to see it look stylish. I see it look long of course but 9 times out of 10 or rather 10 times out of 10 it has made the person look "old" and I would secretly want to go up behind them and cut it up to BSL at least thinking it would really give their look a lift.

off topic. curlee i see you're do in two days, just wanted to say congratulations and god bless. have a happy (if possible) and safe delivery!

Thank you so much Sweet! Yes I am due in 2 days and I been walking all over the place these past few days and this baby is acting like he doesn't want to come on time! LOL! Just hard headed!!!

Back on topic: I was thinking about this and another incident - is having a stringent workout regimen also mutually exclusive with having hair with style? I know when I was able to go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week, I would do a lot of cardio such as aerobics, running and spin and inevitably the hair would be sweaty and I tied it back in a scarf so it was off my face. I would come home and rinse out the sweat leaving me with wet hair.

How can you maintain a nice stylish do when you are working out in the gym or at a pool? My girl said she used to come home, wash her hair, roller set it and sit under the dryer EVERY NIGHT and grade papers (she was a teacher) for the 1.5 hours it took to dry her hair. I can't imagine she did that EVERY NIGHT. All so she could have nice bouncy curly and stylish hair the next day while teaching class - then she would go to the gym, pull her hair back and sweat it out b/c she sweats ALOT while on the elliptical, stairmaster, treadmill or in our weight lifting class. Now THAT is high maintenance!

Thank goodness she is single.

SweetCaramel1 said:
off topic. curlee i see you're do in two days, just wanted to say congratulations and god bless. have a happy (if possible) and safe delivery!

LOL, girl that is HIGH maintenance. My mom works out just about every day and when she wants to wear her hair out I give her updo styles that she doesn't have to bother, but every now and again she goes back to her braids under a weave cap or wig and that works for her. I don't know how they do it, especially shampooing and roller setting every night, :look: I'm tired just thinking about it.

Oh and Congratulations!
CurleeDST said:
Thank you so much Sweet! Yes I am due in 2 days and I been walking all over the place these past few days and this baby is acting like he doesn't want to come on time! LOL! Just hard headed!!!

Back on topic: I was thinking about this and another incident - is having a stringent workout regimen also mutually exclusive with having hair with style? I know when I was able to go to the gym 4 to 5 days a week, I would do a lot of cardio such as aerobics, running and spin and inevitably the hair would be sweaty and I tied it back in a scarf so it was off my face. I would come home and rinse out the sweat leaving me with wet hair.

How can you maintain a nice stylish do when you are working out in the gym or at a pool? My girl said she used to come home, wash her hair, roller set it and sit under the dryer EVERY NIGHT and grade papers (she was a teacher) for the 1.5 hours it took to dry her hair. I can't imagine she did that EVERY NIGHT. All so she could have nice bouncy curly and stylish hair the next day while teaching class - then she would go to the gym, pull her hair back and sweat it out b/c she sweats ALOT while on the elliptical, stairmaster, treadmill or in our weight lifting class. Now THAT is high maintenance!

Thank goodness she is single.

CurleeDST said:
See for me, I don't consider those braided styles very stylish. They remind me of women with extremely long hair who braid it to keep it out of the way who wear those dress jumpers I see shopping in the grocery store. I guess I am thinking more along the lines of sophisticated style when I say stylish and I don't consider those braids that (for ME).

Those certainly aren't my definition of stylish but I loved the Eowyn Updo. It's so beautiful. :drool:

My friend still goes to the gym as much as she ever did but she no longer rollersets her hair. She says she rather have a nice body vs. stylish hair so she pulls it up in a curly pony puff when she comes home and washes it and calls it a day. Can't win for losing I tell ya!

This is why I decided to stop at a little past BSL. I felt that it was long enough for me to play with it and achieve a variety of looks but not so long that it was too much to work with or boring.

However, I agree that stylish styles can be achieved on a variety of lengths, and it largely depends on the creativity of the person/stylist.

CurleeDST said:

No, the two are not mutually exclusive. I workout every other day, and I don't have issues with this. For me, it was a matter of learning the products and techniques that would withstand workouts. Also, I had to learn how to treat my scalp to keep the salt from drying it out. I can't imagine rollersetting my hair EVERY day. :eek: :nono: It's not that deep. In that instance, having longer hair permits a quick bun or updo that still looks nice. :)

CurleeDST said:

That is what I fear which is why I do not think, for me, I would want to go past BSL b/c I don't want it to drag me down or make me look old.

I was in the mall over 9 months ago and saw this girl in one of the stores who had a fly fly fly stylish hair cut. It was short in the back and long in the front with curls and bends. I asked her how she maintained it and she was like "oh I just pincurl the front and top and tie it down with a scarf then wake up and release". It looked so simple yet stylish b/c she had perfectly placed color in there plus her outfit looked nice. Had me second thinking "why am I growing my hair out again?" LOL! But her look was for HER and not for me.

I find great styles at all lengths. I believe one can continue with a healthy regimen AND have long or longer hair in a style one loves. I don't believe one has to compromise the other.

The styles I learned when I first discovered LHCF all helped my hair in many ways and looked good on me which to me is just as important. Why not look great and grow healthy hair at the same time?!

Now, I truly believe that black women as a race do not look old with long hair, I believe they look younger, no matter what their age. That's one of the many beauty advantages black women have. :yep:

Maybe I am boring, but I LOVE long WSL, jet black hair. As long as it's flowing, I am good.

I love to see rollersetted WSL and beyond. It's so sexy.

Or straight long hair, that has a bit of spiral curl at the end-too sexaaay! :yep:

But that's just me.

I wouldn't say that - to each her own. We all are unique and different which is what makes the world go round. I know for me, waistlength hair is not practical or would not look right (I am 5 ft. 2 on a GOOD day) but BSL - I can do that as long as it doesn't take me 20 minutes just to get it in a bun or pony tail. That is a waste of my time.

LocksOfLuV said:
Maybe I am boring, but I LOVE long WSL, jet black hair. As long as it's flowing, I am good.

I love to see rollersetted WSL and beyond. It's so sexy.

Or straight long hair, that has a bit of spiral curl at the end-too sexaaay! :yep:

But that's just me.

CurleeDST said:
Are they mutually exclusive? What I mean is, I see many of you ladies are very fashion conscious and stlyish. I love the way you sport your make up, outfits and accessories. It looks great.

I know when I grew my hair out fairly decent (before my big chop the latter part of last year) I felt a bit stunted in that I really only pulled it back in a pony puff. Which is ok but day in and day out - sort of BORING and predictable.

I am watching a talk show with Jenny McCarthy and she has the CUTEST and flyest chin-length bob cut and I am like "now that is cute and stylish" but as you can read - it is chin length which is opposite of wanting to grow out hair to BSL. I do not think that style would look as good if it were longer than say shoulder length (at best).

So it started me to thinking - ladies do you believe length and a fashionable hairstyle are mutually exclusive? If you go for waistlength you only can wear it braided out, straight or pulled up or do you think there are creative things you can do with hair that length? Do you find the more stylish hairstyles are at shorter lengths?

Let's chat!

I think that when it comes to style, as one's hair gets longer, I think it takes more alot creativity to develop more hairstyles. I personally think it's easier to find syles for shorter hair versus waistlength hair. Some of my favorite hairstyles are on lengths that are shoulder length, APL and BSL. Right now, I am lovin' Rihanna's new haircut. I want to cut my hair like that sooo bad..lol and I'm still considering! I I think it is very hot and I know it would look right on me. I love bobs and any version of it (tapered, angled, etc) and they look best on chin/jaw, shoulder or APL length hair imo. I also love layers and layers look best on bsl or shorter imo. Curls are another option that I love and I feel you can do alot more with longer hair in that area. When it comes to updos and putting hair up, I think you can do alot more with longer hair but not too long because very long hair can kill that type style with the styles I have in mind imo. I love those type of hairstyles as well. I can go on..lol.

So for me, I don't think I'll go any longer than BSL and I don't know if that would look right on me. I may just maintain at APL. I know for myself that I want style more than anything and one reason I'm growing my hair out is because I believe I will have more styling options. If I'm wearing my hair down, it has to be styled. I think wearing hair down and straight is boring if there isn't least some type style (curl(s), choppy layers, etc). I think BSL would provide that perfect balance for me.

Great topic Curlee! I'm soooo feeling where you are coming from.

Last edited:
bmoreflyygirl said:
I agree. I feel like a style is when your hair is done. You can tell the different between when somebody went to the salon and when they did their hair themself. Just growing neverending hair with no shape or movement isn't stylish. It's just letting your hair do what it does.

I've seen some people who got their hair done at the shop and it looks like something I could have done for them or they did themselves (or just plain old jacked up). Especially for natural styles, I've seen some stylist really jack up some natural hair. I have a friend who does her own hair all of the time and it is always stylish and looking good. She is just talented at doing her own hair.

Didn't read all the replies. but I've been longing for a Sassoon Bob for 3 months. I decided I would probably have to relax to acheive the look I wanted so since my hair is natural...That got voted down. I wanted a better shape to my hair , because it grows really funny. The top part grows freakishly long. So I wacked it off on Tuesday...:eek: I wacked off 4 inches of hair....No regrets and been getting loads of compliments.

I've had waist length (as a kid), brastrap, apl, neck and ear length hair....None of which really matters to me.

Ya know I wish I were that talented but there are some angles on the head where I jut can't reach as well as a second party working on my head. For instance my TSTs in the front are always twisted forwarded eventhough someone else donig my hair can twist them back off my face b/c of the angle in which they are standing. My arms can't position properly to get that same angle.

I have no problem paying someone to do my hair if they are talented if they are going to hook a sister up.

I totally respect those who are growing out their hair for healthy hair and style is 2nd or 3rd if in any of the priority lists.

I remember reading Wanakee's site once and she had an FAQ: why grow it out long if you have to wear it in buns and protective styles and her answer was because you want to grow it out long. I get it of course but it just seems like a waste unless of course you have that Sade sense of style.

Ms Lala said:
I've seen some people who got their hair done at the shop and it looks like something I could have done for them or they did themselves (or just plain old jacked up). Especially for natural styles, I've seen some stylist really jack up some natural hair. I have a friend who does her own hair all of the time and it is always stylish and looking good. She is just talented at doing her own hair.

Yup that is styled. I LOVE LOVE LOVE bobs. When I was relaxed in college they called me the "atomic bob" b/c my bob was so full and fly!

sareca said:
My problem is I've only had one stylist I've trusted and she's in another state and I can't remember the name of the salon where she worked.

But this is the style I want. It's not fancy, but it's 'styled' and not just 'grown.'

http://www.hairfinder.com/info/longhairbob.html
Here's it rollerset...
http://www.hairfinder.com/info/backangledbobcurls.html
I will be trying this later this year. :yep:

Back