Leaving conditioner in overnight...

Lindy

It's official. My hair HATES this!!! I put in Garnier Fructis 3 minute mask and went under my heating cap for about 40 mins. on Saturday night. Then I slept with the conditioner in, and worked out on Sunday morning.

I rinsed my hair out in the shower, expecting to have slip galore, but
nono.gif
. When I looked in the mirror, my wet hair looked all frizzed, like the cuticles were standing straight up!!
shocked.gif
I went downstairs and put in some Infusium 23 Revitalizing conditioner and worked it into my hair for about 2 minutes, and I could feel the silkiness returning. I rinsed, and all was well again!!!

It's really weird but the same thing happened to me months ago when I slept with Keracare Humecto in my hair overnight!!

I cant figure out why this would happen, but I won't be doing this again, ever!! {I guess there's a reason it's called "3-Minute Mask," huh?}
laugh.gif

I guess too much of a good thing just isn't good for ya!!
ohwell.gif

I think that after a certain point, a conditioner has done all that it's made to do,you don't get further benefits by leaving it overnight. Probably the frizziness was due to the hair not being smooth while you slept and also becauseyou worked out.For the record, I don'tlike the Garnier or Humecto, but I'm sure you'd have better results just following the instructions.

[ QUOTE ]
sithembile said:
I think that after a certain point, a conditioner has done all that it's made to do,you don't get further benefits by leaving it overnight. Probably the frizziness was due to the hair not being smooth while you slept and also becauseyou worked out.For the record, I don'tlike the Garnier or Humecto, but I'm sure you'd have better results just following the instructions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

I think it depends on the condit.I have had great success sleeping with Aubrey GPB and Jojoba Aloe,and Le Kair cholesterol.
However when I slept with Suave Humectant the result wasn't pretty
antlers.gif

i agree with katie, the type of conditioner matters A LOT. i've noticed that the thicker (i mean REAL thick) conditioners (motions cpr for instance) work wonders when left in overnight.
smile.gif

I have found that no matter how moisturizing a conditioner may be, leaving it on for hours and hours just makes my hair hard and tangly. The longest I'll go with conditioner on is about 1-2hours. I don't believe the conditioner is going to abosorb any further into my hair after that point. Not to mention I can't stand the feeling of it on my head for so long, eeeew!

i understand where you're coming from. i think whether or not your hair is chemically treated plays a roll in this as well.

before i went natural, i don't think i ever left a conditioner in my hair over night. now that i have a whole lot of thick hair, it seems like i need to take some time out at least once a month and let a conditioner seep into my hair overnight to get va-va-voom results.

I used to use the Garnier Fructis 3 min masque but stopped due to cost, but if I left in on longer thant 7 min it did no good. Just clarify and use it for 3 min no heat.

I'm relaxed and leave in my conditioner overnight all the time...I've never had a problem with it. It's funny because I think my hair is 'used' to getting that full overnight treatment.

Notice it says Garnier Fructis 3min Masque, Not Garnier Leave on overnight masque...lol, I did the same thing as you Lindy, I reap benefits of this product when I follow the directions.

There must be something to this. The longer I leave in my beloved UANs Crema or Nexxus Humectress, the worse the results. They seem to work best left on for just a few minutes in a steamy shower. I tried leaving UANs on yesterday for 25 mins w/o heat...my hair had no slip or softness...

I've never really noticed any real difference between my regular deep conditioning time and leaving it on overnight. The reason I do this is usually laziness, lol.

I leave conditioners in overnite & do pre-shampoo treatments more so during the summer. My hair seems to respond well and soak them up then. In the winter it seems like they just make my hair hard. I also do it to try and get rid of some of this stuff.

I had the same results. So I tried something different. After applying my conditioner, I sprayed it with water which gave me alot of slip. Along with the water I apply a carrier oil ( sweet almond oil, coconut, mango....) It seems to keep my hair from being hard. I do this 2-3 times a week.

Back