Leave it Alone or Chop it off?

Faithfullover

I have decided to go natural. I currently have chin length hair. Is it easier to just chop it all off and start over (I have about two inches of new growth) or should I just gradually cut it off as the natural hair grows out? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!:)

Mya

It's up to you and how you choose to wear your hair. How do you usually wear it? If you transition for a while, the relaxed hair will give you more length to work with when styling. If you chop now, you'll just have the 2 inches of hair to work with. But you can get some braids or a weave or something to cover it up, if you'd like as well. I know some people don't like fake hair or don't want to wear it, but that is an option.

Also, if you're not really sure about your decision, if you transition you'll still have your hair should you decide to go back to relaxing. Once you chop, it'll all be gone.

I chopped my hair at about 5.5 months and then wore weaves until it grew out some. I had been wearing weaves before that so it was no biggie to me. I hadn't really declared that I was transitioning though. I was still on the fence about it and was just doing my usual 6 month relaxer stretch. Then one day I got curious and started snipping in the back. Before I knew it my hair was on the floor and it was a done deed.

I transitioned for 6 months and grew tired of dealing with the 2 textures. I decided to go ahead and chop and I was *very* happy with my results. It kind of depends on what you want and whether you think that you can deal with 2 different textures of hair. Some people aren't nearly as impatient as I. *LOL*

bmoreflyygirl,

Right now I am using weave that I clip in every morning. It's easier for me to do this than to wear ponytails right now because even though my hair isn't really kinky (thanks MSM) its still a long way away from my relaxed hair. Until about two months ago I never considered wearing a weave because I didn't want to pay anyone to put one in (bad experience in the past with a sew in that caused me to lose a lot of hair). I was in the BSS and I saw the clips and I started experimenting with them. I got it down to a science now. I chopped it off before when I was pregnant with my two year old and my hair grew like a weed until I put another relaxer in it. Sigh. I swear if it wasn't so humid here I would have never put it back in.

Mya

Premierepearl08 said:
I transitioned for 6 months and grew tired of dealing with the 2 textures. I decided to go ahead and chop and I was *very* happy with my results. It kind of depends on what you want and whether you think that you can deal with 2 different textures of hair. Some people aren't nearly as impatient as I. *LOL*

Do you think your hair grows faster now than it did when it was relaxed?

Mya

Faithfullover said:
Do you think your hair grows faster now than it did when it was relaxed?

Mya
Mines does... It was like the flood gates opening. :lol: All my hair has just about grown back to where it was before I chopped. I chopped in September and only had about 2 inches then. I guess the presence of the chemical was stunting my growth. My hair had been hovering at about the same length for a few years. I had to get a cut and it grew back to my neck/barely touching my shoulder but stayed there.

If you really wanna chop, I say do it. If not just hang on for a little bit. You'll know when you're ready. You can still wear it the same way after you chop right?

I say CHOP IT! CHOP IT! CHOP IT!! Just Kidding, I mean if you can deal with short hair and you said you cut it before, I say go ahead and chop it LOL!!! But it is your choice, if it is bothering you chop it. But I know my hair grows faster being Natural and as my Twa grows out it is looking so good LOL!!

Even my 11yr. old has a Twa, we are gonna go have to take some TWA Pics lol!!!!

I think I will still be able to wear it the same way if I chop it off. I was kinda straddling the fence because I know my husband will look at me crazy if I chop it off. He was in Iraq when I did it the first time so by the time he came back it had grown back. I have no problem chopping it off because to me it is just hair and I know it will grow back.

I transitioned for 11 months. I couldn't find it in my heart to chop any earlier than that!!!! I don't like short hair because for one I have a big Gina off of Martin head and I wasn't about to walk around with no twa. :eek: Its for some people and not for others!!

WhipEffectz1 said:
I transitioned for 11 months. I couldn't find it in my heart to chop any earlier than that!!!! I don't like short hair because for one I have a big Gina off of Martin head and I wasn't about to walk around with no twa. :eek: Its for some people and not for others!!

:lol: I agree...

Well, it's up to you, but you'll have more style options by keeping the relaxed ends. I wore a twa for a while. It's very easy to maintain, just wash n go.

My sister told me to just press my new growth but I told her no way. I want it to just stay that way it is for a while. The whole time I was natural before I pressed it maybe twice in that year. For those of you who didn't chop it off how did you get the roots to straighten without heat or did you use heat to make it blend?:confused:

Faithfullover said:
My sister told me to just press my new growth but I told her no way. I want it to just stay that way it is for a while. The whole time I was natural before I pressed it maybe twice in that year. For those of you who didn't chop it off how did you get the roots to straighten without heat or did you use heat to make it blend?:confused:

I used heat(not that often though) or wore protective styles.

Faithfullover said:

I went to the Dom salon every once in a while. Like 2 or 3 times. Other than that I just left it alone. I wore mostly curly/ wavy styles so I didn't have to straighten it.

Straw sets, twistouts and braidouts are a great way to blend the two textures if you want to go for a long transition. You'll have more hair to work with and can possibly still rely on a ponytail for bad hair days. One of the pros of chopping your hair at 2 inches is that you can learn how to care for and style your hair early in your natural journey. Many women don't deal with their texture for the first time until they have 5+ inches and then have no clue what to do with it. At 2 inches you can learn about products routines and styles that work for you. Plus 2 inches is enough hair to do protective styles (twists, coils, etc.). It's up to you. Both transitioning and BCing have their merits. It all depends on which you think you'd handle better.
Personally, I transitioned for 8 months with braid extensions and braid outs. I only used heat on my new growth once.

I think for right now I'll just leave it alone. Cheetarah1980 - I was natural for about a year before I got weak and relaxed. I know that I need to do conditioner washes and spritz my hair with a leave in every day to keep it from being dry initially. The funny thing was once my hair got to a certain point I discovered it was less dry than my relaxed hair. It was shoulder length stretched but as soon as I got a relaxer it slowly started breaking off again. :eek: This time I will not put a relaxer in my hair ever again. I am tired of fighting against my hair. This time me and my hair will be on the same page permanently.

Mya

Back