To chop or not to chop?

melodee said:
Girl, don't snip-snip. taking off a lil here and there is addictive, and you'll never feel you've taken the right amount off. make your decision--do I want to leave the ends alone or do an official trim?!
It is addictive! I still haven't made a decision yet, but I'm leaning towards a compromise... take off another inch (instead of two) and leave the rest until Feb (my next touchup).
melodee said:
I think you are fine, but as cichelle said, if you're wearing it curly, it doesn't matter as much as when you have a sleek "down" style.

Very true. You can't tell w/ any other style besides straight. Even with straight it's not as obvious as it is in the pic.

shunta said:
Amen to that!! I was goin through withdrawal all last night.:lol: :lol:

Sareca...girl if your hair is not damaged, Im gonna agree with most of the posters and say just leave it alone, my dear.:)

I am glad to see it was just me shunta! lol

Sareca- if it is not broke- don't fix it. My hair tends to thin a little at the ends as well. But i refuse to cut- unless i have splits.

sareca said:
Hey y'all, I need your help. I can't decided whether to chop my thin/missing ends or just leave them alone.

mytrimfantasyjpg-vi.jpg

I've already trimmed about 1.5 inches off, but I'm still at APL (pic on the left). The pic on the right is the same picture, but I editted it in Photoshop to remove the ends. My hair would no longer be APL, but it would be all one length (i.e., no layers).

What do ya'll think? Should I leave it alone or chop it?

Do you think your ends will thicken up as your hair continues to grow? The reason why I ask, is because I remember Chicro hair last January was very thin on the ends, but now her ends are very full. She actually said that her ends would fill out and they did. So perhaps your ends have to do the same thing. I would say since you have already cut 1.5 inches, don't cut your hair, don't even compromise, just wait 3 months to see if your ends fill out. If they don't, then you can make the decision to cut. Take a look at Chicro's fotki to see her pictures and you will see what I'm talking about.

sareca said:
:eek: I did that same thing! I've basically been snipping here and there every couple of days since I relaxed it.

It's bad, I know. But whatever you decide, just make sure it's what "you" want. I' mstill debating and if I leep snippin' away every other day, it will eventually end up at shoulder.:perplexed I just can't stand these stupid layers:mad:

sareca said:
Hey y'all, I need your help. I can't decided whether to chop my thin/missing ends or just leave them alone.

mytrimfantasyjpg-vi.jpg

I've already trimmed about 1.5 inches off, but I'm still at APL (pic on the left). The pic on the right is the same picture, but I editted it in Photoshop to remove the ends. My hair would no longer be APL, but it would be all one length (i.e., no layers).

What do ya'll think? Should I leave it alone or chop it?

I'm a fool for healthy full hair so I'm in the opinion to chop it. It looks healthy on both pics though. I guess it would depend on how you wear your hair on a daily basis. If you wear it down then I would chop. If you normally do protective styles and can hide the thinner ends, then I would leave it alone.

Hey...just checking in to see what you have decided...

I posted a before and after pic of my V chop in the OVERDUE FOTKI thread.

rootdeep said:
Hey...just checking in to see what you have decided...

I posted a before and after pic of my V chop in the OVERDUE FOTKI thread.

My decision is ... no chop, but thanks to everyone for adding their 2 cents. I completely understand both perspectives. I love the look of thick full ends, but I'd rather these old ends wear out than new ones. So, I'm going to leave them alone and go back to my protective styles for the next 4 months. :(

fancypants007, I don't think they will thicken up. When I look back at my June pics they were thin then and continued to get thinner and thinner. I've only been on my healthy hair journey for 1 year so these ends are pre-journey hair. I really shouldn't have expected to keep them. :ohwell:

Off to look for rootdeep's V pics and live vicariously through her.

Thanks again ya'll.

sareca said:
My decision is ... no chop, but thanks to everyone for adding their 2 cents. I completely understand both perspectives. I love the look of thick full ends, but I'd rather these old ends wear out than new ones. So, I'm going to leave them alone and go back to my protective styles for the next 4 months. :(

fancypants007, I don't think they will thicken up. When I look back at my June pics they were thin then and continued to get thinner and thinner. I've only been on my healthy hair journey for 1 year so these ends are pre-journey hair. I really shouldn't have expected to keep them. :ohwell:

Off to look for rootdeep's V pics and live vicariously through her.

Thanks again ya'll.

That makes alot of sense, especially if they're not damaged.

100_1017-vi.jpg

I caved. :baby2: I just want to wear it down but, to be perfectly honest, I was embarassed. I'm thrilled now. It still isn't perfect, but it's even and I love it. It's about 1.5 inches above APL but I don't care. It looks so much better to me.

Last edited:
Oh wait, you did trim it. Well, it looks healthy and I think you trimmed a good amount because it does not look like you lost much length at all! You shouldn't be uncomfortable about wearing it down. I hope you're happy with your decision, looks good! :o

HighlyFavored1 said:
Oh wait, you did trim it. Well, it looks healthy and I think you trimmed a good amount because it does not look like you lost much length at all! You shouldn't be uncomfortable about wearing it down. I hope you're happy with your decision, looks good! :o

Thanks :rosebud: It makes me feel better to know it doesn't look like I trimmed a lot.
100_09344-vi.jpg
Here's my before picture. I bascially cut it straight across from the shortest piece on the left. I'm thrilled and I wore it down confidently today. Usually I'm constantly messing with it trying to make sure the short spot isn't visible. I don't know why I was stressing about it now. I think just got caught up gaining length. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Hey girl,

At first I was thinkin don't do it...but IMO it looks really good. It's doesn't look like you took off a lot, and it looks VERY healthy.

I know what you mean though...I only want to wear my hair down if it's in tip top shape. Enjoy :grin: !

sareca said:
100_1017-vi.jpg

I caved. :baby2: I just want to wear it down but, to be perfectly honest, I was embarassed. I'm thrilled now. It still isn't perfect, but it's even and I love it. It's about 1.5 inches above APL but I don't care. It looks so much better to me.

You did a nice job on the trim! :yep:

Back